Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout size, exhaust question, supporting mods questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout size, exhaust question, supporting mods questions

I am about to place orders for 1 7/8 TSP headers, 3" TSP ORY, Magnaflow Catback, obviously O2 extensions and new gaskets with that.

Then poly motor mounts, SLP Lid, I have an LS6 intake manifold on the way, UMI weld in SFCs.

Wanting a DMH Cutout, so would that just be a 3" size that would go in right after the Y, correct?

Getting a Shaner S2 Throttle body, as I saw it highly recommended on here.

Moser axles and 3.73 gears in my 10 bolt. Don't want much input about this, just telling you what I am doing. I have heard the whole thing about the weak 10 bolt, upgrade immediately, blah blah, I will test my luck for the moment.

Edit: Also thinking about plugs and wires from Texas Speed, which set would you guys recommend? MSD Plug Wires and NGK TR-6 Spark plug combo or MSD Plug Wires and NGK TR-55 Spark Plug Combo?

--Questions, if anyone can put in their .02--

1) How much power will this exhaust setup be good "up to"? I suppose before its too restrictive and what not. Thats with headers/ORY/Catback/Cutout

2) I know before I get into serious power, I will work on the suspension to be able to put down the power, so I dont need to hear people give me that input.

3) Back to combining 1 & 2, what would people's recommendations for the future of making more power. I have a rough idea where the mods I am doing will put me, maybe at a 13.0? Sound right? But my goal for the car is to be a car that can be driven on the street, not going to be a daily, but want it to be fairly tame on the street. I also plan on taking it to the track every once and a while (this is where I will eventually upgrade to that 12 bolt). I dont know how much power or what I should look into to make the power, to maybe be in the mid 11s and not be breaking stuff all the time.

Anyways, any input on setups and recommendations would be great. Right now I am obviously just getting the platform of boltons set and want to make sure I am making a platform that I can USE for down the road when I want to go faster.

Thank ya!

Last edited by WS6Dream; 05-31-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 3" will be fine. It gets installed in the I-pipe, I have MSD wires with TR55s and havnt had any problems with them so far *knock on wood*
Old 05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

When it says "E cutout with flowtech", what exactly is the Flowtech? I think I may be just not putting 2 and 2 together lol

Edit: And what would be the "approximate length of cable needed"? That I have to enter in on the page to place the order.

Last edited by WS6Dream; 05-31-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TSP's Y-pipe actually has a 3.5" collector and then it necks down to 3". If I were you I'd cut off the reducer part, weld a 3.5" cut out on, and then weld the reducer back on to connect to the cat back.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Fry, I kinda see what you are saying by looking at the TSP ORY pic on their site. Has anyone else done this? And anyone know about the flowtech and wire length?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fry_
TSP's Y-pipe actually has a 3.5" collector and then it necks down to 3". If I were you I'd cut off the reducer part, weld a 3.5" cut out on, and then weld the reducer back on to connect to the cat back.
I just installed a TSP ORY and the exit is no where near 3", it's more like 2.5".
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

So how does a 3" catback go onto the end of the tsp ory? Just kinda hoping things go together... Same with if I get a 3" cutout to add in. Anymore input on this?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most catbacks (I know my Magnaflow does) neck down to like 2.75" or so to meet up with the stock Y-pipe.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Ah gotcha. So what have people done for installing the 3" or 3.5" cutout before the catback if the y pip --> catback "connection" is 2.5" or 2.75"? Cut the ORY end and add in pipe to fit?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6Dream
Ah gotcha. So what have people done for installing the 3" or 3.5" cutout before the catback if the y pip --> catback "connection" is 2.5" or 2.75"? Cut the ORY end and add in pipe to fit?
Most people put the cutout in the I-pipe of the catback (the pipe that runs from the Y-pipe to the over-axle pipe).
Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Oh duh that makes sense, since that would be the 3" diameter. Ok, any other input? I heard I would want a turndown on the cutout to reduce rasp
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6Dream
Oh duh that makes sense, since that would be the 3" diameter. Ok, any other input? I heard I would want a turndown on the cutout to reduce rasp
If you're on stock manifolds and cats there won't be any rasp. I just did headers and ORY and the rasp when under load at 2500 rpm and up is horrible. I'm gonna try the turndown on mine but I have my doubts it'll cure enough of the rasp to make me happy...

Quick Reply: Cutout size, exhaust question, supporting mods questions