Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy pics of my duals over the axle build

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I knew I heard either a WI or MN accent in that video.

I personally think it sounds pretty good myself. Good experiment. If you're dead set on keeping it, then keep it. You obviously have the fab skills; So if you don't like it or are worried about loss, just get a PHB relo from Founder's and go over the axle with dual 3".
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys need to lay off. He tried something new, so whats the big deal? It would be different if he was claiming it added 100 HP over other exhaust setups but hes not. On top of that he made it himself and wanted to mess with his new welder. I personally wouldn't want more then 1 X pipe on my car but thats just me. If the OP changes his mind he can always make another one. And like he said its near impossible to tell the quality of an exhaust sound by online clips. So many variables including what kinda camera was used and what kinda computer /speakers you have to be that critical of it.

To sum it up while it wouldn't be for me. Props for trying something new, and it looks like quality workmanship
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I knew I heard either a WI or MN accent in that video.

I personally think it sounds pretty good myself. Good experiment. If you're dead set on keeping it, then keep it. You obviously have the fab skills; So if you don't like it or are worried about loss, just get a PHB relo from Founder's and go over the axle with dual 3".
Yeah, I've been accused of being Canadian too. lol
I'm not worried about a possible loss one bit. I'm more concerned with not doing perfect true X's. Like I said before, the Magnaflow is more of channeled chamber. It looks more like a hollowed out turtle shell inside. I honestly think that's where I'm getting the rasp when shifting of under a high amount of decel. I will state again for any just jumping in, I didn't want to spend an extra 240$ for primo parts on a gamble. Hind sight I wish I did. Live, learn, weld some more.

On another note, I don't have a PHB anymore, I have a Fays2 Watts link. The mount frame had to be notched and rewelded about 3/4 inch for the driver side pipe for good clearance though. I could of went full 3" but half of the theory of doing 3 X's is to speed up the velocity so I don't need such a big pipe and it can be quieter at idle, low rev's.

Last edited by abot316; 08-05-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Some of you guys need to lay off. He tried something new, so whats the big deal? It would be different if he was claiming it added 100 HP over other exhaust setups but hes not. On top of that he made it himself and wanted to mess with his new welder. I personally wouldn't want more then 1 X pipe on my car but thats just me. If the OP changes his mind he can always make another one. And like he said its near impossible to tell the quality of an exhaust sound by online clips. So many variables including what kinda camera was used and what kinda computer /speakers you have to be that critical of it.

To sum it up while it wouldn't be for me. Props for trying something new, and it looks like quality workmanship
Thank you, my skills aren't totally there yet but I'm working on them when I get the chance. I have other ideas that I'm working on too for moving/remounting items for better weight distribution. If they work great, if not back to the drawing board.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP the rasp is from your location of the mufflers, LS2 GTO and CTS V guys suffer the same thing. The exhaust has zero time to smooth out before hitting the muffler
Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a different magnaflow X that has more of a "true" X to it. Part # 10782. A bit pricey though. Perfect for a dumped set-up.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds OK to me, definitely a true dual sound and not an Y pipe sound. A little on the high-pitched and raspy side, but not bad. The lack of noticeable drone is pretty nice though. My Bassani 2.5" X-pipe catback is a lot lower tone and has a decent amount of drone, I'm guessing due to the muffler used. Good work.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Sounds OK to me, definitely a true dual sound and not an Y pipe sound. A little on the high-pitched and raspy side, but not bad. The lack of noticeable drone is pretty nice though. My Bassani 2.5" X-pipe catback is a lot lower tone and has a decent amount of drone, I'm guessing due to the muffler used. Good work.
Thank you.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

This is a different magnaflow X that has more of a "true" X to it. Part # 10782. A bit pricey though. Perfect for a dumped set-up.
Yes I looked at those but the inlet and outlets are splayed, not parallel. I want these, talk about pricey hence the $60ish Magnaflow's X chambers I have.

For the first, inlet splayed/parallel out:
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...04ss-1910.html
For the rear 2 parallel in and out:
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...04ss-1803.html
Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Videos never do an exhaust justice. I'm sure it sounds pretty killer. I like the tone of it. Glad someone did something different with their exhaust for once. Screw the haters
Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by abot316
Yes I looked at those but the inlet and outlets are splayed, not parallel. I want these, talk about pricey hence the $60ish Magnaflow's X chambers I have.

For the first, inlet splayed/parallel out:
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...04ss-1910.html
For the rear 2 parallel in and out:
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...04ss-1803.html
Yes those are good a good style ,stay away from the true X , go with a kissed narrow long X style.
Yes I prefer the second one parallel , but if your trying to get it as close to the the motor as possible you may need it splayed motor side. I had a custom X made that was 4 1/2" diameter in merge area . The next one I do is going to be more along these lines.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^ here the link http://www.surefloexhaust.com.au/xpipe.htm Now this will flow .
Old 08-09-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

... and after 4 pages...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by omc8
Yes those are good a good style ,stay away from the true X , go with a kissed narrow long X style.
Yes I prefer the second one parallel , but if your trying to get it as close to the the motor as possible you may need it splayed motor side. I had a custom X made that was 4 1/2" diameter in merge area . The next one I do is going to be more along these lines.
I've seen those before but didn't know where to get them from. Good food for thought

Quick Reply: Crappy pics of my duals over the axle build