Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest review of Tyhoon 85mm intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012 | 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

I've had pretty good luck with these intakes.. Anybody interested message me for pricing before buying elsewhere!
Old 08-15-2012 | 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by slammedc5
I should have taken pics. Ports looked real good. Lined up with the heads just fine. Flanges were extremely straight. Just takes some fabrication to get the fuel line rite. And had the wrong bolts for the valley pan gasket. The quality looked just fine. These manifolds got a kick in quality control dept a few years ago. From bad reviews.

There's articles from ls1 tech, and GM performance.com all showing 20 or more horsepower gains over the ls6. Other typhoon users here also claim gains. Yet typhoon bashers will just hate on this manifold without any real knowledge. The heat sink is also a non issue. The tuner will take care of the VE tables and IAC counts. I feel a noticeable increase especially mid range. My cam loves it.
I was biting my tongue, but I couldn't anymore...

Bad reviews derived from poor quality. I recall seeing that the gasket ports didn't line up with the intake manifold ports on the intake I installed. I also recall the fuel rail crossover being way too long like you describe, rubbing on the hood.

But you know what? That's not the only poor quality piece I bought from them. Their coil covers don't fit an F-body (despite what they said), their fuel rails require NPT fittings that I couldn't stop from leaking for my life, their 101mm TB didn't fit THEIR OWN INTAKE with the throttle cable bracket installed, and their customer service is pure crap. I contacted them for each of these issues, and not once did they do ANYTHING about it. They didn't even follow up when I was given their email address... they just left me hanging each time.

I realize this thread is about the quality of the intake specifically, but that intake needed to be updated due to quality? How do you think they modified it? They corrected the port shapes and locations. Now what do you think went into the "engineering" of the shape of the ports if they got that wrong? Based on all of my PP experience, I will never buy anything from them ever again. Never.

Beautiful intake. Not a quality piece. /Rant
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sometimes its just as simple as changing the manufacturer. Whoever had been pouring the molds at the start of production didn't get the specs rite. A new manufacture used better equipment to make them, I don't know. But my piece is just fine. I have top quality and reliable parts all throughout my car. Trust me, if this thing was crap I would toss it. I've had 5 different sets of rims on my car in 2 years. I'm **** about stuff.
Modifying the fuel line and such is no big deal to me.
But just for the record, I'm just reviewing this experience. Not pimping the company. There sure are alot of good reviews of this intake though. And more all the ttime. I've read plenty of bad reviews about fast installs on this site.
Here's a compairison. To put a fast 102 on my car. I would have to trim the hell out of it, probably buy a ls2 waterpump, spend $1000 plus shipping to hawaii, buy custom fu3l rails, lines and fittings, have a boring stock look ( no offense to anyone, I just like to look different), close to 2 grand, for another 15 hp maybe? No thanks, fast isn't nearly that impressive
Old 08-16-2012 | 04:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
loan? LOL they arent cheap but ****.
Just kidding on the loan, but you get the point. I've seen financing offered on things that cost less.
Old 08-16-2012 | 09:49 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a beef about the 85mm intake itself.
Every complaint I've seen has been about gaskets or needing
to go buy screws for the valley cover, or I think I remember
someone didn't get one of the fittings in their box. Can't say
about the bigger diameter versions, I have not touched them.

I did find that the throttle cable cam on the 85mm TB seemed
to not give as much angle per draw length as stock despite
looking same diameter. The TCS/cruise "gizmo" was hanging
up the TB cable draw length. I worked some on changing the
cam radius, which got me to full open, but eventually went and
swapped to non-TCS cables bypassing the gizmo entirely (no
more pedal pullback).

I rigged my fuel rails differently than the standard, with a Y-
block feeding the tails so I could put Schraders on the rail
end for checking fuel pressure.

I also stripped off the blue anodizing (except in the injector
seats) so it's all grunge aluminum and looks kinda "factory".

I used the old green gaskets that PP replaced, to port-match
the 243 heads to the intake rather than vice versa. I got the
intake ahead of time so I could. Gasket to manifold was
dead-nuts match, I hogged maybe 1/16" out around the
heads' intake ports, not much.
Old 09-03-2012 | 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's an update. Was 15* Hooters outside when I dyno'd. This time. But I lost 17hp and 15lbs torque. There was a loss across the whole curve except at 3000 rpm , the typhoon was 5hp higher til. 3200. So I'm going to change this thing out. To bad because it looks awesome. If you haven't been keeping up with this thread. I had a ls6 with ported stock tbody. I installed 85mm typhoon with 90mm ls7 throttle body. Probably get and over priced fast now.
Old 09-03-2012 | 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Man, thanks for at least being objective and updating. I'm sure some typhoon nut swingers will call foul on the dyno conditions or type of dyno, but damn that's a big loss. Again, thanks for the objective information... I feel your pain!
Old 09-03-2012 | 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slammedc5
I have top quality and reliable parts all throughout my car.
From your sig:

Professional Products intake manifold
ASP pulley
MSD coils
OBX headers

Those items DO NOT fit the "quality and reliable" description you give them. You built your car out of EBay junk. You also won't be making power at 7000rpm. It will be falling off by 6500rpm.
Old 09-03-2012 | 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
From your sig:

Professional Products intake manifold
ASP pulley
MSD coils
OBX headers

Those items DO NOT fit the "quality and reliable" description you give them. You built your car out of EBay junk. You also won't be making power at 7000rpm. It will be falling off by 6500rpm.
BS bro. Only thing wrong is the intake. My obx headers are fine. Internals comp cams, lunati gold valve train. I race it a lot as well. Matter of fact, the only time this car even moves, is when i take it out to race or show. I usually drive my paid off 09 bmw 535xi twin turbo all wheel drive thats slammed and modded, i mention this incase your trying to imply im cheap. You dont even want to go there! I bought 2 things off eBay and one is going in the trash. I don't need to waste my time typing to some keyboard jockey punk. Later

Last edited by slammedc5; 09-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2012 | 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just don't see you actually losing 15rwhp, maybe you have a slight vacuum leak or a sensor starting to going out...?
Logic tells me there's more to it then the intake.

If for some reason it does happen to be the intake, I know with the BBK SSI intake an 85mm tb I gained about 10hp over my LS6 intake with 78mmtb, so there's another option if you can find one locally.
Old 09-03-2012 | 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I know, my tuner and I where both shocked. We walked around the car checking things, he checked the sensors and other stuff, I was there for 3 hours, 3 dyno runs after adjusting things. They were all with 10 up of each other. Lost 2 races to a car I usually beat this weekend too.
I found a fast 92 for sale locally, guy parting out an fbody. I'll see if I can get it on my car thurs. haven't seen the mani yet. Don't know if it needs a rope gasket, seals or what
Old 09-03-2012 | 09:51 PM

I'd be curious about the LS7 TB, since it sounds like kind of
a strange setup, could you verify that it was pulling to full
open? Any logs that would show you the MAP readings?

Supposedly the PP manifolds can be ported, the bottom
plate can be removed for access. I wouldn't have any good
idea what to remove, so I left mine alone. You can always
have a go at that after putting on the new one.
Old 09-04-2012 | 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did contact my tuner about going thru some data. Just seems unlikely any manifold swap would loss that much power. Why does the ls7 throttle body seem weird? I dremeled out the typhoon snout to about 88mm, and put a 90mm throttle body on. SMS as if I end up going with a fast, I'll still use the 90mm ls7 t body. Thanks for the tip.
Also, I had the car on the dyno, and the street for 3 hrs. Run after run adjusting etc. heat soak never seemed to affect any of the numbers. The runs where all consistent compared to the fuel timing adjustments etc.
Old 09-04-2012 | 03:16 PM

Weird = it sounded like the TB was driven through a
chain of adapters and so on. I know some people have
issues with the speed and angle of opening on DBW
throttle bodies, and like to massage that stuff in the
tune (obscure to me, I only mess with my own car
anymore and it's cable).
Old 09-04-2012 | 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, confirmed. TP was at 100%. It not that much adaption really, there's a 1/2 thick spacer/ adaptor 90mm hole, 90mm fbody feeding a 88mm intake. Would be like guys who run a fast 90 with a 92 mm tbody. I defiantly need to get to the bottom of this as this is an unacceptable loss of power. When I get time to mess around, I'm going to throw the old stock home ported tbody on and just see what happens.
Thanks for your input.
Old 09-05-2012 | 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE 2....
Today I removed the 90mm LS7 throttle body, reinstalled my stock 75mm homeported throttle body and the car has got its power back, and maybe more. Trippy. To make the LS7 tbody work on LS1 cars, there's a plug and play harness that converts signals. Plus the throttle blade opens backwards compaired to stock.
So I'm going to pick up an 85mm tbody that matches this intake, reruns and see what I get
Old 09-05-2012 | 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

"Chrome don't get ya home"....I'm not going to be a dick and say that intake is junk, but "it LOOKS nice" lol....I'm glad someone finally debunked the myth and proved that aluminum intakes aren't for LS motors...but like I said it sure does look purtty lol...
Old 09-05-2012 | 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Didn't read the last post before mine lol...I still don't like them aluminum intakes...to each their own
Old 09-06-2012 | 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

What year is the LS7 Tb for? I've heard of c5 owners having issues when using 2009 and up LS7 90tb on the c5 vette. Maybe you can swap a 08 or earlier 90 tb on there and see how that works.
Old 09-06-2012 | 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have/ had the silver blade one. I think it was the gold blade that was the one not to use. Not sure, every car is different, my cam etc. I am using the stock tbody for now. Going to order a 85mm tbody to match the intake. Tune and dyno first week of oct.

Quick Reply: Honest review of Tyhoon 85mm intake manifold.