Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP ORY fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP ORY fitment issues

Hey guys so this past weekend i finally got around to installing my 1 7/8 TSP headers and ORY. The headers went on great! The y pipe absolutely sucks though. Not only does it not bolt up to my borla catback ( a few inches too long) but it also will not come close to clearing my spohn tunnel mount torque arm and driveshaft loop. Its the one designed for longtubes. I already cut a small section out of the catback hoping to fix the problem but to no avail. Is there a better fitting y pipe out there that will fit my t/a? Has anyone sectioned out a few inches of theirs to make the tunnel mount fit? Any help will be greatly appreciated since I've worked on it all weekend and its still not right.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

This is something of great interest to me also since I was just planning to purchase the TSP y-pipe now and the 1 7/8 headers in about a month. Seeing as I also am running the Borla cat-back I'd like to know if anyone has had these issues and what they did to remedy them. Guess I'll put the y-pipe on hold for now.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With so many different combinations out there its hard to make a one size fits all part. I have installed several of our y-pipes without a problem. One of those cars was mine that I tested fitted to see how clearance worked with the Midwest Chassis torque arm setup with drive shaft saftey loop and it fit great. I apologize your having some issues, and we did our best to offer a ypipe that will work for everyone, but like I said with so many different setups out there its almost impossible to guarantee perfect fitment with every combo. Send me a message over with any other questions or concerns you have. Im happy to help.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
With so many different combinations out there its hard to make a one size fits all part. I have installed several of our y-pipes without a problem. One of those cars was mine that I tested fitted to see how clearance worked with the Midwest Chassis torque arm setup with drive shaft saftey loop and it fit great. I apologize your having some issues, and we did our best to offer a ypipe that will work for everyone, but like I said with so many different setups out there its almost impossible to guarantee perfect fitment with every combo. Send me a message over with any other questions or concerns you have. Im happy to help.
You could help by posting a pic of your personally cars ypipe clearance from the drivers side
Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 14k
You could help by posting a pic of your personally cars ypipe clearance from the drivers side
I ended up just modifying the I pipe and realizing that i will need to get a full length torque arm instead of using my current one.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 14k
Unfortunately the pictures I posted up a while back are the only ones I have, my car is back apart for the boost build, so I did away with previous exhaust setup.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dalejrfan88
I ended up just modifying the I pipe and realizing that i will need to get a full length torque arm instead of using my current one.

My current setup is the same as yours. I am using the Borla 3in cat back plate system, Jet-Hot LT's and a Spohn chassis mounted TA with loop designed for LT's. I went with the Hooker 3in off-road y-pipe back when I was modding my car and had no fitment or clearance issues with the Hooker Y. Downfall is that the Hooker doesn't have the nice merge but should work with the TSP headers. Just a thought.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Aaron,

Can you recall installing your y-pipe on any Spohn chassis mount TA equipped cars with no issues? Maybe there is a problem with the pipe itself that went unnoticed.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Ill be honest I have not installed one with a Spohn setup.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Ill be honest I have not installed one with a Spohn setup.

You're not helping me get my TSP y-pipe and I really want it to fit and work.....lol
Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

I know man. Yea I just never have had the opportunity to work on an F-body with the Spohn setup. Also you wouldn't think there would be a ton of difference between all the setups but every vendor builds their torque arms setups a little different, which in this case cut down on clearance for us a bit it seems.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

My TSP Y didn't fit perfectly either, but that's what a good exhaust guy is for.

Instead of blaming the part, maybe you should have a professional try to install it first.

TSP makes a great Y pipe and merge.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Damned right they do. I remember doing the cigarette test when I had mine. Placed a lit cig in front of one leg of the Y, and blew a bit (not a lot of pressure) of compresssed air in the other and it scavenged QUITE well.

sepsis hit the nail on the head needing a good exhaust guy. Spend the extra 50 bucks if needed and get it on a lift, fit, and tucked. Bottom line is you very well may need to cut about 2 or 3" of the I-Pipe to get it to fit. I did and that was with a Magnamouth.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

I know man. Yea I just never have had the opportunity to work on an F-body with the Spohn setup. Also you wouldn't think there would be a ton of difference between all the setups but every vendor builds their torque arms setups a little different, which in this case cut down on clearance for us a bit it seems.
I think I'm going for it anyway. After studying the pics of it hard I think I can make it work. I don't mind cutting things down, I just don't want to have to mess with the bends. Every shop in this area, including ours, have benders that tend to screw up the bends of stainless. As for install and adjustments, I have that covered....lol
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hopefully this help you. This is from when I did mine last year.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

i just installed a TSP 3 inch chrome ory to a set of kooks longtubes and a TSP rumbler catback with the midwest chassis torque arm setup with the built in loop and i had to notch the bracket on the loop for the y to fit. its a really tight fit.. but seems to tuck good... maybe to good it touches the floor pan almost. I also have new poly trans and motor mounts. I think the ORY is a nice piece for the price... and i would say that every setup is going to be a bit different on every car so taking your time with fitment and being prepared to have to do a bit of cutting notching modifying is going to be part of any full exhaust system. If your not skilled in the exhaust department it might be a better job for a good exhaust guy
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue with it not tucking up well on the driver side, I messed with it for a while and the best I could get was still not good, I scrape on most bumps, I will be pulling it off and I bought some exhaust tubing to put in place and see about tucking it up some more.

Otherwise I say best ypipe out there, the merge is damn nice and less rasp than other ypipe setups, I have the magnaflow catback and had to cut a little off the Ipipe, but that's the beauty of working on cars, each one has it's own unique "quirks"...
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this last weekend. I have tsp 1 7/8 longtubes and a borla catback and I went with the tsp off rd y. The ypipe fitment was not good. I ended up making my own pipe off the driverside header and after that it was fine. I also had to chop down my borla "I" pipe about 2 inches. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Hahahaha I did that same ****!!! Three years ago I bought tsp LT's and ory with manaflow catback and a spohn tunnel brace. **** that y pipe. The headers fine, but that y pipe went to the trash and I got custom true duals. Read up on the y pipe. It's ****. I cut up my I pipe also to make it work and left the brace off. Now my catback is worthless too since it don't fit nothing.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hooker headers with the tsp y pipe and I had to cut down the pipe on the drivers side header to make it fit, but after I did that it worked well. I also cut off the 2.5" exit from the merge and welded on a 3.5 to 3" transition. Hope this helps you guys

Quick Reply: TSP ORY fitment issues