Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" exhaust with UMI short TA, Who has pic of theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3" exhaust with UMI short TA, Who has pic of theirs?

I currently have 3" TSP Y pipe turned into an xpipe with bullets, I picked up a UMI short TA for a good price but when i went to put it on my Xpipe is directly where the mount mounts to the tunnel. What Is everybody running for exhaust, are you going around it xing around it and dumping before rear? I would love to see some pic of other people's setups. I want to keep my X pipe and my bullets but I would also like to finish my exhaust over axle to the rears. I was going to drop down to 2.5 before the axle.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by k_cash1432
I currently have 3" TSP Y pipe turned into an xpipe with bullets, I picked up a UMI short TA for a good price but when i went to put it on my Xpipe is directly where the mount mounts to the tunnel. What Is everybody running for exhaust, are you going around it xing around it and dumping before rear? I would love to see some pic of other people's setups. I want to keep my X pipe and my bullets but I would also like to finish my exhaust over axle to the rears. I was going to drop down to 2.5 before the axle.

I used Kooks 1-7/8 LT headers to the Kooks 3" y-pipe... we made a custom 4" merge.... and went 4" back over the axle and out the rear..

sorry the are shitty cell phone pics... but its all I have of it.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Your exhaust looks nice and clean. How does it sound? I would like to keep my TD and xpipe but looks like that may be hard to keep it if i want ant ground clearance.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any soundclip of that???
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 PM
8 Second Club

it was loud.... too loud for me...

I ended up switching mufflers to a 40 series magnaflow later down the road..

but this was right after install, just as you see it in that picture.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

it can be done, you will have to maybe change you x pipe. look at this guys setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-3-duals.html
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
it can be done, you will have to maybe change you x pipe. look at this guys setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-3-duals.html
This is what I was thinking of doing but on my crossmember for my tunnel mount it has very little room I was thinking about dueling out my Y/X pipe and running two single tubes through the cross brace and then doing the X pipe after that...
I guess I will have to wait till monday when I get home to see it again and figure out what I should do... IN the meantime MORE PICTURES please! thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 PM
8 Second Club

you can modify your Y pipe to go upwards slightly, and then go over the Torque arm mount...
with my 4", all we had to do was crush a 4" pipe to mate up to the 3" Y pipe... then we just pointed it upwards ever so slightly and it went right over the torque arm mount bar with no issues.

you just have to be smart about which way you go with things and plan ahead...look at every option before you start to build it... and do a lot of test fitting and tack welding before you weld things up for a final time.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

I will keep that in mind. My main problem is I dont have anybody remotly close to me that can even bend 3" let alone mandrel bent pipe...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM
8 Second Club

I will keep that in mind. My main problem is I dont have anybody remotly close to me that can even bend 3" let alone mandrel bent pipe...
Just buy pieces of curved pipe, cut and weld as needed...
you can always take a piece and take a notch out with a saw or make several small incisions along one side and flex it together to make a tighter or wider radius...
mig welding goes a long way
and if you need to "Crush" a section slightly... juse use a vice...

you will find that with a little planning and patience, you can figure out that you need 90's and 45's to get to what you want with minimal cutting and welding..
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM
8 Second Club

the exhaust in my pictures was all done with Pre-bent pieces that I bought online.....
I didnt do a dam thing to them other than cut to length and weld them together and add some v-band clamps to the ends for easier removal.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

I have access to a exhaust bender with 2.5" diesduel so when i do get it done im going 3"to to the axle then 2.5 over axle. I have a few left over bends from when i made the y into an x ill put up my photo bucket And post a pic of my y-x pipes when i get on my computer this evening.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Im planning on doing duals also but cant find anyone with a mandrel bender around here, im planning on using a universal magnaflow x pipe from summit to fit in between the body and tunnel brace mount, but it will be tight, then dumping before the rear axle. will probly have to end up getting a couple pre bent pipes and go from there. good luck
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
Im planning on doing duals also but cant find anyone with a mandrel bender around here, im planning on using a universal magnaflow x pipe from summit to fit in between the body and tunnel brace mount, but it will be tight, then dumping before the rear axle. will probly have to end up getting a couple pre bent pipes and go from there. good luck

I was thinking about putting the x pipe after the tunnel brace.

If you do get the universal go to ebay and find the same one its the exact same one from magnaflow its a stamped xpipe but its 25ish compared to 50+
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking about putting the x pipe after the tunnel brace.

If you do get the universal go to ebay and find the same one its the exact same one from magnaflow its a stamped xpipe but its 25ish compared to 50+
yea il look into that thanks, only real reason i was going to run it under tunnel brace is for the fitment of the mufflers which i dont even know what il get yet, thinking of the sweet thunder ones, seems popular with true duals
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

I have a set of spiral flows on my car and I dont think they are quite as loud as sweet thunders but have almost the same tone and I like them.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

I built my 3" x pipe setup through the UMI short torque arm. I bought a bunch of 3" mandrel bends and welded it all up with a Jegs universal x pipe kit. After the X it goes straight back with 2 moroso spiral flows welded together and both pipes dump right after the rear passenger side tire. Car sounds sick!

Took a lot of work to position the x pipe in the correct spot and space is limited for the mufflers I had to do the BFH mod to the passenger foot well.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pharcyde50
I built my 3" x pipe setup through the UMI short torque arm. I bought a bunch of 3" mandrel bends and welded it all up with a Jegs universal x pipe kit. After the X it goes straight back with 2 moroso spiral flows welded together and both pipes dump right after the rear passenger side tire. Car sounds sick!

Took a lot of work to position the x pipe in the correct spot and space is limited for the mufflers I had to do the BFH mod to the passenger foot well.
Could you snap a few pic for referance i would like to see other people's setups before i go start hacking up my exhaust again. I have a few mandrel pieces left over from my first go at an X pipe i think i can get it out past the UMI tunnel mount to put my X right after that and the the spiral's after that then neck down to 2.5 to go over the axle and duel out the rear with some nice tips...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Soundengineer... that looks very good and nice to see it cleared with our straight crosmember set up.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I haveof my old car
dual 3" straight bar tq arm mount
X-pipe is on top of the mount

Quick Reply: 3" exhaust with UMI short TA, Who has pic of theirs?