Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks headers, ORY, GMMG vs. Kooks TD's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Kooks headers, ORY, GMMG vs. Kooks TD's

I currently have pacesetter headers, TSP catted Y, and GMMG catback and since I'm doing heads and cam soon, I ordered a set of kooks headers and an ORY. I know I'm going to have to put a muffler in the I-pipe afterwards but I'm worried it still might be too loud for me. How does a GMMG with a catted Y pipe compare to a GMMG with ORY and muffler in the I-pipe? Which is louder? Which sounds better?

I would love to just go right for the kooks TD's but I'm wondering how much louder the TD's would be compared to my GMMG setup? I'm not interested in TSP TD's

And yes I searched, I went through all the threads about putting a muffler in the I-pipe and whatnot but they mainly just deal with rasp. I'm happy I can get rid of the rasp by doing that but I want this topic to be about tone and volume.

PS: At what horsepower do Y pipe setups start becoming restrictive?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had GMMG with Kooks y-pipe for years and really liked the sound until I did H/C. It was so loud I couldn't stand it. I went with Kooks TD's and it's probably a little quieter than before, but the biggest change that makes driving in the car tolerable now is there is no rasp at all with TD's. I did have cats with both setups. And oddly enough Kooks TD's only weigh 4lbs more than my old setup.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Brnt... now you make me want to get the Kooks 1-7/8" and 3" TD Package lol.

I guess doing it once instead of doing something else THEN doing that is the way to go.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

BRNT, did you try putting a powerstick in the I-pipe?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
I currently have pacesetter headers, TSP catted Y, and GMMG catback and since I'm doing heads and cam soon, I ordered a set of kooks headers and an ORY. I know I'm going to have to put a muffler in the I-pipe afterwards but I'm worried it still might be too loud for me. How does a GMMG with a catted Y pipe compare to a GMMG with ORY and muffler in the I-pipe? Which is louder? Which sounds better?

I would love to just go right for the kooks TD's but I'm wondering how much louder the TD's would be compared to my GMMG setup? I'm not interested in TSP TD's

And yes I searched, I went through all the threads about putting a muffler in the I-pipe and whatnot but they mainly just deal with rasp. I'm happy I can get rid of the rasp by doing that but I want this topic to be about tone and volume.

GMMG is awesome, I love the way it sounds, but I think the only exhaust sound I like more is the Kooks TD's. If I had the money I would do the TD's, they are beautiful, sound awesome, and will give better performance.

Depending on the size of Y-Pipe the amount of HP you need to make a Y-pipe restrictive varies. I have a buddy that puts down around 800 rwhp and he is still running a 3" Y Pipe....
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Brnt... now you make me want to get the Kooks 1-7/8" and 3" TD Package lol.

I guess doing it once instead of doing something else THEN doing that is the way to go.
Haha....yeah I don't like to think about how much money I spent on exhaust....twice.

BRNT, did you try putting a powerstick in the I-pipe?

I thought about it and almost ordered one for a quick fix. But I bought my Kooks Y-pipe in 2006 when they were still aluminized, plus there merge sucks. I wanted all SS, better sound and best possible flow without a cut-out to compliment the H/C/I that I did.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of subjective questions....

I run with a bunch of guys with GMMG's. Sound great with stock cubes...maybe H/C packages. Strokers are almost annoying. I've had a LM, Corsa and now Kooks TD. Loved the Corsa....love the Kooks more at idle and off idle rev's. No road data yet, but would expect "gates of hell-ish" noise at WOT . No way to out grow this system unless you run open headers all day
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go duals
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Regular

Well I got MD speed's best 'after Black Friday' price but it's obviously still more than it would have been on Black Friday so I'm probably just going to tryout the Y pipe with the powerstick and see how I like it after that. If I hate it I'll probably rig up my TSP catted Y pipe somehow or else spring for the TD's. Exhaust is easy compared to headers and at least I shouldn't outgrown my 1-7/8" for quite a while.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you go GMMG def go Catted Y!!

http://youtu.be/_IoanBx-u0Q

http://youtu.be/m6cmnr83Ef8
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Would cats quiet it down a lot? I was thinking that the muffler in the I-pipe would just bring things back down to where they were with the cats and before the H/C.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cats dont so much quiet it down per say but they tame it down and eliminate ALOT of the Rasp! Hopefully someone can post a Cammed GMMG with an ORY.

Quick Reply: Kooks headers, ORY, GMMG vs. Kooks TD's