Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tsp true-dual header and cats need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsp true-dual header and cats need help

I just received my tsp rumbler true duals, but I didn't get any cats (I know stock ones are complete crap), can anyone recommend me some good high flowing cats to attach to the system? I eventually want to get headers but don't have enough yet, also will cats attach to headers and a true dual system, unfortunately Arizona requires emissions testing...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

um your factory cats are far from crap matter of fact youll be doing well to get after market cats that are even equal quality second theyre ahead of the exhaust youre talking about replacing anyway so leave em alone for now later when you get headers then worry about adding cats. Also im not aware of any true dual setup that uses your factory exhaust from the y pipe forward maybe you can explain a little better what it is youre trying to do?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tsp duals will not work with stock manifold/cats set up.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nomasterase
um your factory cats are far from crap matter of fact youll be doing well to get after market cats that are even equal quality second theyre ahead of the exhaust youre talking about replacing anyway so leave em alone for now later when you get headers then worry about adding cats. Also im not aware of any true dual setup that uses your factory exhaust from the y pipe forward maybe you can explain a little better what it is youre trying to do?
I am trying to run a true dual exhaust with headers eventually and cats because arizona requires emissions testing so I'm asking if the headers can connect to cats then the true dual exhaust (xpipe)? These are the headers I plan on getting (http://texas-speed.com/p-291-texas-s...e-headers.aspx)
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

not without a good bit of fabrication on the exhaust. they slip right on to the headers and it should be easy enough to slip some cats in between them but the true dual setup was never meant to be a bolt on with factory manifolds. it will work fine with the headers tho youll be leaving it sitting in the corner until you have the headers on
Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Ok cool then i will just wait to get some headers and 3 in cats to put between them, that way i wont have to worry about welding.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...you will have to weld them in or cut and clamp them in place. The dual exhaust from tsp is not meant to have cats. It's an off road exhaust that connects directly to the headers and dumps before the axle. If they even do a visual you'll most likely fail.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Dumps not duals.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you research? You would've save money by buying the xpipe and mufflers separately, sell your stock cats to the junk yard for 50$ each, buy some high flow cats and have the exhaust shop Fab it up.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Ok so I have seen several systems here with dumps and I called a muffler shop and they told me that they don't do visual tests here all they do is just plug it in to a computer so I wont fail the inspection. As long as I weld the cats in between the headers and the exhaust I'll be fine. I'm just wondering what cats I should get, I heard that the ceramic ones aren't good with headers because they fall apart?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to need a tune more than you need cats. You Womt be running rear o2 sensors anymore and automatically throw codes for it
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Teching In

So what exactly do I need tuned? Are you saying if I get it tuned I wont need cats to pass? (they don't do visual inspections here)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

get a tune and have the tuner tune the rear o2 sensors out and have them set so they show the readiness monitor to be always ready so that it looks like theyre working even though they arent this will keep you from getting a ses light as well as pass the computer check for inspection purposes so long as there is no visual for the cats. the tune alone should get you a solid 10-15 hp increase even before the mods
Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with your emmissions, most states require the exhaust to go past the axle,
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is loud they will look at the exhaust,you might get lucky you might not,do not pay for a tune just yet,all ya need is the rear 02s deleted ( which im sure someone on this board that is around your area could help ya out for a few bucks) or do a cheap mail in tune if you have no other options,dont ever expect much from a mail in tune,imo thats not even a tune but would be fine for a bolt on car,if your looking for some cheap longtubes im going to prob be selling my pacesetters very soon,going turbo so i will actually have alot of parts soon
Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Teching In

So i just called emissions and asked them about the policy with it going passed the axle and he said there is no visual inspection for my car so as long as you don't throw codes your fine, what he said is they check the (pressure cap?) and plug the car in to the computer, so basically I don't need cats and can have my o2 sensors bypassed/tuned and I will be good?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stangsrgay930
So i just called emissions and asked them about the policy with it going passed the axle and he said there is no visual inspection for my car so as long as you don't throw codes your fine, what he said is they check the (pressure cap?) and plug the car in to the computer, so basically I don't need cats and can have my o2 sensors bypassed/tuned and I will be good?
Most OBD-II checks go like this;

Check gas cap (that's the pressure one you are referring to)
Check wipers
Check lights
Check tint
Check tires
Plug in OBD-II (no codes and readiness ok = pass)

That's pretty much it. They really don't do a visual for the actual emmisions components like they're suppose to.

Quick Reply: Tsp true-dual header and cats need help