Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Stick in I pipe of a Magnaflow Cat Back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Stick in I pipe of a Magnaflow Cat Back?

Has anyone done something like this before? I have had my Magnaflow cat-back with LT's and cats for few years now. Never cared for the sound. I know it's the Y-pipe that sounds funky. I know TD's over the axle are the way to go, but for now I am thinking of trying some type of bullet in the I pipe. Maybe a med 3" Powerstick or a med 3" Cobrapac (AKA Glass pac) to reduce or change the sound. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by slow ride 02; 02-20-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either one will definitely reduce the sound. I did this when I was running the Borla cat back and it made the car alot quieter when I didn't have the plate open. I used the dynomax bullet. But I would recommend either of the Classic Chambered parts as I have both kinds on my TD system, love the sound!!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were you, I would look into getting a quality merge. Not sure what y pipe you have now, but most of them suck. Having a good flowmaster merge put in can do wonders for sound quality with out giving up volume .

The additional muffler in The I pipe will not cure the shitty sound, it will only make it quieter.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LeftySS
Either one will definitely reduce the sound. I did this when I was running the Borla cat back and it made the car alot quieter when I didn't have the plate open. I used the dynomax bullet. But I would recommend either of the Classic Chambered parts as I have both kinds on my TD system, love the sound!!
So let me understand, you have a TD system with the Classic Chamberd Powersticks over the axel with dynomax bullets before the tips? and did you go 2 1/2" or 3"?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
If I were you, I would look into getting a quality merge. Not sure what y pipe you have now, but most of them suck. Having a good flowmaster merge put in can do wonders for sound quality with out giving up volume .

The additional muffler in The I pipe will not cure the shitty sound, it will only make it quieter.
I have a Kooks 3' Y-pipe. Does it suck? It looks okay to me. I have been thinking about a nice merge also. I just hate to cut-up that Kooks peice.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
So let me understand, you have a TD system with the Classic Chamberd Powersticks over the axel with dynomax bullets before the tips? and did you go 2 1/2" or 3"?
Actually all of the mufflers on my TDs are from classic chambered. They have their own bullet style mufflers as well as the powesticks. The system is 3" from header to tip, over the axle.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
I have a Kooks 3' Y-pipe. Does it suck? It looks okay to me. I have been thinking about a nice merge also. I just hate to cut-up that Kooks peice.
The Kooks Y-pipe merger is a very poor design, I'd up grade it to Vibrant merger.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just wait and get a new system.. Your still not going to be happy and your gonna wish you would've did it right the first time eventually. I went through 2 catbacks before I installed my duals. Wasted all that money before I was satisfied.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by justin hover
Just wait and get a new system.. Your still not going to be happy and your gonna wish you would've did it right the first time eventually. I went through 2 catbacks before I installed my duals. Wasted all that money before I was satisfied.
Tell me about your dual system please. And what catbacks did you try?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A powerstick in the "I" pipe will eliminate about 95% of the rasp, at least it did for me. I removed the flowmaster tips and put on turndowns and it quieted the exhaust a little and gave it a deeper tone. finally happy with the sound of my exhaust.

Quick Reply: Power Stick in I pipe of a Magnaflow Cat Back?