Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different take on the paper vs oiled air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different take on the paper vs oiled air filter

I understand that the paper filter is better for the average fbody because the oiled filters dirty up the maf screen. I have a slp filter that I've never used sitting around. I was wondering if it's finally time to try it. I have a descreened maf and a catch can, so the whole oil build up in the maf isn't a factor. All in all, is the slp filter worth using over the paper if I'm immune to the oil build up in my maf and intake?

Any pros/cons that I didn't think of?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of the oil treated filters. I know they have better flow numbers but I'm not convenced they filter better. Also as you stated they oil up things in the intake path. The way they work is they tend to have a larger mesh than a paper filter and use the oil to catch the dust and crud that is in the air as it passes through.

I would rather have the tighter mesh and no oil issues.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

How does a de-screened MAF and catch can make you immune, the probmatic oil will be coming from the oiled filter and I can vouch for it running an oiled filter coated my maf and the car ran like crap went to an Amsoil filter never had another problem.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beastmode89
I understand that the paper filter is better for the average fbody because the oiled filters dirty up the maf screen. I have a slp filter that I've never used sitting around. I was wondering if it's finally time to try it. I have a descreened maf and a catch can, so the whole oil build up in the maf isn't a factor. All in all, is the slp filter worth using over the paper if I'm immune to the oil build up in my maf and intake?

Any pros/cons that I didn't think of?
I have an slp filter as well, what if i just clean the slp filter with water, like in the sink or tub and do not reapply with oil, will this work? I know with my jeep i had a pre oiled filter and when i went to clean it with just regular water and let it dry it worked fine with no problem. I just made sure to clean it like every 3k miles.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

I am running the Amsoil Ea air filter. can be cleaned with shop air at a low setting and reused.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I started getting check engine lights after switching to an oiled filter after I re-oiled the filter. Personally whatever gains they claim aren't worth all of the issues. Sure it's cheaper over time, but with reusable dry filters available, I would go that right first. The dry filters have better filtering capacity also in comparison to the oiled filters. Increasing filtering surface area would be the route I would go.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by yukonblu
I have an slp filter as well, what if i just clean the slp filter with water, like in the sink or tub and do not reapply with oil, will this work? I know with my jeep i had a pre oiled filter and when i went to clean it with just regular water and let it dry it worked fine with no problem. I just made sure to clean it like every 3k miles.
The last oiled filter I used had specific instructions to NOT run the filter unless it was oiled.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A oil filter without oil performs very little filtering! If you don't oil it you might as well run without a filter!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss performance
A oil filter without oil performs very little filtering! If you don't oil it you might as well run without a filter!
Yeah.. good to know lol

Thanks

Originally Posted by cmac06
I started getting check engine lights after switching to an oiled filter after I re-oiled the filter. Personally whatever gains they claim aren't worth all of the issues. Sure it's cheaper over time, but with reusable dry filters available, I would go that right first. The dry filters have better filtering capacity also in comparison to the oiled filters. Increasing filtering surface area would be the route I would go.
Yeah same issues here, went back to paper filter and no problems.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a question for you guys: What do you all think would be better for a car running a direct ram air induction unit (specifically an SSRA in my case) a paper or oiled filter? Obviously the filter itself will get more dirty much quicker, so it will either need to be cleaned or replaced more often I would assume. I just bought the SSRA, but have not installed it yet

Last edited by HCI2000SS; 03-23-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I have a question for you guys: What do you all think would be better for a car running a direct ram air induction unit (specifically an SSRA in my case) a paper or oiled filter? Obviously the filter itself will get more dirty much quicker, so it will either need to be cleaned or replaced more often I would assume. I just but the SSRA, but have not installed it yet
I ran my slp flopak, which is very similar the the ssra, with the oiled slp filter and it immediately starting popping codes at me. Went to paper filter... then no problems. I would go paper if i had to do it all over again.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yukonblu
I ran my slp flopak, which is very similar the the ssra, with the oiled slp filter and it immediately starting popping codes at me. Went to paper filter... then no problems. I would go paper if i had to do it all over again.
Okay good to know. Thank you
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I'm running a HUGE chrs1313 NON-AC ram air setup with a K&N filter. No, nor ever, any problems here. If you don't oil the absolute bejesus out of them they're fine. You want a pink filter, not a red.

I previously had an AMSOil filter. I junked it after 6 months. My exhaust was noticeably quieter and my upper RPM pulls didn't seem *quite* as hard. Swapped back to the K&N and the volume was back as was my lost upper power.

Just throwing it out there...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Same here, only time I've ever noticed oil getting by the filter was the first time I re-oiled one, used too much. I learned to be more careful and haven't had any oil problems since then.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My setup is the same as the ^ dr_whigham ^ I run a SSRA with my K&N. Same setup since 2006 on 2 different cars. I do not over do the oil and never a problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

iv always had a paper filter and never had any issues. I think my next filter will be a wix paper since I will be putting in my ssra soon.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Launching!

I run a Spectre air filter in my Z28, ran a K&N in my 97 Blazer for 5 years, and my dad has ran a K&N in his 2000 Silverado for 13 years now. We have never had one single problem with them. It sounds like the people who are having problems are probably using too much oil when cleaning them. Use the SLP filter and oil it correctly after you clean it, you'll never have a problem with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BWZ_2k2Z28
I run a Spectre air filter in my Z28, ran a K&N in my 97 Blazer for 5 years, and my dad has ran a K&N in his 2000 Silverado for 13 years now. We have never had one single problem with them. It sounds like the people who are having problems are probably using too much oil when cleaning them. Use the SLP filter and oil it correctly after you clean it, you'll never have a problem with it.
Disagree.. most of these people (myself included) are installing the filters when they get them pre-oiled from the manufacturer. So unless they are using to much oil at the manufacturer or something. My 02 camaro is the only vehicle i have had trouble with oil based filters. My jeep and other vehicles never had problems. idk... i think they use a pretty common MAF but could be wrong. Also on my 2000 ws6 i never had problems and my 98 z28 never had problems with oil based filters. Now that i think about this more, its a lost cause. I guess if people have problems go back to a paper filter, if you don't have problems use the oil filter. Problem solved lol
Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if some of them were leaving the company with too much oil on the filter.

"Now that i think about this more, its a lost cause. I guess if people have problems go back to a paper filter, if you don't have problems use the oil filter. Problem solved lol"

agreed.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Those k&n filters are only supposed to have just enough oil that the color changes a little. After I spray mine, I let it sit to see if theres any extra run off. Then, I pat it down. Good to go.

Quick Reply: A different take on the paper vs oiled air filter