Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise at take off and new chirping noise after full exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise at take off and new chirping noise after full exhaust install

Anyone else had this problem? I installed TSP LTs, ORY, and Rumbler cat-back. I ran open headers to the muffler shop, and didn't notice the problem. Now, when taking off from a complete stop, I get a grinding type noise. I'm wondering if a clamp might be rubbing the driveshaft. I also have a new noise coming from under the hood only during deceleration, and not the typical added noise you expect from a header install. It is almost a chirping sound, and it's coming from the driver's side. It certainly doesn't sound like a leak, but this is a new one to me, never had a car make this noise before.

Last edited by ThatOneWhiteGuy; 03-31-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I-pipe can come into contact with the rear driveshaft
yoke if the back section isn't hung right.

Some headers get mighty close to the steering linkage
and a little bit of motor roll on the soft motor mounts
might bring it into scrub and make squeaks etc.

I'd start looking for bright marks and any clearances
less than an inch.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:36 PM

I have started noticing the rub is happening more than I initially thought, and a lot of the time, it does feel like it's happening on the driver front, so maybe the header is sometimes hitting the linkage. I looked under the car yesterday, and there is a spot where the I is touching the torque arm but that doesn't seem to be where the noise is coming from.

The other noise has begun to happen more also, including at idle, leading me to believe it's probably a pulley. The OP should have said I've never had a car make that noise on decel only before. Now that it's become more regular, I can't imagine it isn't a pulley, but I've been wrong before.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a bunch of strange noises after my header install as well... turns out the motor mounts were very worn, letting the engine move around way too much under acceleration and decel. Put in a set of poly mounts and is quiet as can be now. Just something to consider.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 PM

I had been thinking a little about this. I was wondering if new mounts might help the grinding, and I noticed a bit of noise going over bumps that sounds like it might be cured by a new set of mounts... it would sure be nice if that would solve these problems.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

It really did make a huge difference. The original mounts were 130k miles old... I should have replaced them when I swapped in the 6.0 but I didnt have the time to wait for them. Its a pain in the *** to do while theyre in the car no doubt, but it was well worth the hassle.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Yeah, my car only has 48k on it. So, I wouldn't really expect the mounts to be bad, but who knows. It couldn't hurt. I'm sure it doesn't help that my car is lowered with sportlines... that probably worsens my rubbing/grinding issue.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The almost EXACT same thing just happened to me yesterday minus the grinding. TSP 1 7/8", ORY and magnamouth dumpd. Drove the car open headers to the exhaust shop to get some hangers welded up to the Y, no weird noises on the way there, but got home and put the Y and everything on, start the car and weird freaking chirping noise coming from driver's side starts happening. Happens under acceleration and decel. Did you ever find out what it was? Car only has 52K on it.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 PM

I responded to your PM also, but I'm sure that the chirping just wasn't loud enough for either of us to hear when driving the car on open headers to the exhaust shop, truthfully. My car does it all the time now... idle, acceleration, deceleration... and I just haven't had time to isolate which pulley it is, but I'm certain its either the alternator or idler as those were both removed during the process and there was no chirping prior to this. Unless there's something very strange about the TSP headers that creates this. If you have time before I do... which will not be until this upcoming weekend... I would go out and pull the belt off, and start the car up to see if it eliminates your chirping sound. If it does, you know it's a pulley, and you just need to isolate which one it is. They make a tool for that if you want to get one, but you may also be able to figure it out by spinning the pulley as fast as you can and seeing if you hear any noise coming out of it. If you isolate your issue, let me know what you find.

Seriously though, if all you got was chirping, you're lucky your headers fit so well. My install on the driver's side was the hardest header install I've done, and I've done a bunch. The grinding noise I have/had is because the damn header is still nearly touching the K on the driver side. I have managed to make it clear by closer to an inch, and now it doesn't grind anything like it was before. It will still do it occasionally, depending on what I'm doing, but even when it does, it is far less severe. I'm going to have to work on trying to give it just a tad more space.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, got your pm's too and thanks! Was going to try and isolate the pulley later this afternoon and I'll report back to you. Its really bugging me because i can clearly hear the chirp inside the car while driving. The grinding has finally started on mine and I double checked my clearance between torque arm and I pipe and I'm good there so I looked at K member clearance. MAYBE a quarter of an inch. These things are turning into a way bigger pain than I ever thought possible. I could have done 2 full pacesetter installs by now! Plus, I don't know that I actually have any better ground clearance than what my true duals had!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Well I was able to rule out my alternator and all other main belt drive associated items... Chirping is still there after pulling off the belt! Mine really sounds like its coming from back closer to the fire wall.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise at take off and new chirping noise after full exhaust install