Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torquing head bolts ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torquing head bolts ???

Can I just torque them on a poundage insted of that * sh#% ???
Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using "NEW" factory bolts, the answer is no. They are a TTY and require the intervals based in degrees as opposed to ft-lbs. If you are using ARP bolts torque all the M11 bolts in the factory sequence order in three phases from 35 ft-lbs, 55 ft-lbs, to 75 ft-lbs, then torque the smaller ones to 25 ft-lbs in their same sequence. If you are trying to re-use your old factory bolts, your in for a bigger project than you intended for... Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
If you are using "NEW" factory bolts, the answer is no. They are a TTY and require the intervals based in degrees as opposed to ft-lbs. If you are using ARP bolts torque all the M11 bolts in the factory sequence order in three phases from 35 ft-lbs, 55 ft-lbs, to 75 ft-lbs, then torque the smaller ones to 25 ft-lbs in their same sequence. If you are trying to re-use your old factory bolts, your in for a bigger project than you intended for... Hope this helps.
all correct except whats in red... i really hope you dont plan on re using thoes head bolts. you will be pulling thoes heads just as fast as you installled them. you will **** your motor up if you reuse thoes bolt!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilaaron233333
all correct except whats in red... i really hope you dont plan on re using thoes head bolts. you will be pulling thoes heads just as fast as you installled them. you will **** your motor up if you reuse thoes bolt!!!
So if what I said is incorrect, wouldn't pulling those heads because you screwed your motor up using old bolts be a bigger project than you think he is expecting? WTF???
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

So if what I said is incorrect, wouldn't pulling those heads because you screwed your motor up using old bolts be a bigger project than you think he is expecting? WTF???
lol ya i guess. must of read/took it wrong way my bad...non the less... DONT RE-USE THE OLD STOCK BOLTS!!! lol
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got new GM bolts

Last edited by jaywill; 05-04-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya man you can't torque the to ft lbs. ideally you need a tq wrench that measures in degrees but if not I usually just torque them to the ft lb setting then mark the bolt with a sharpie and go the specified 90 or 45 degrees more
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^thats what i am going to do..^^^
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I mark them with the sharpie and use an 1/2 angle-degree gauge (10 bucks from autozone)...its hard to use the gauge on the back bolts, so I go by sharpie markings alone on those...
Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I hate to bring this up but the factory doesn't use a angle torque wrench to tighten the head bolts.........they torque um the old fashion way............but you can believe what ever smoke gm wants you to see.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

GM said you can reuse the bolts just once... so 2 uses out of the bolts are to be used.. 3rd time use it WILL brake!!! But ARP that ****
Old 05-04-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I hate to bring this up but the factory doesn't use a angle torque wrench to tighten the head bolts.........they torque um the old fashion way............but you can believe what ever smoke gm wants you to see.
Really? I would like for you to find any documentation from GM that shows the install directions for a LS1. Then once you realize that is in degrees, you'll feel stupid...as you should.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TexasGMC08
GM said you can reuse the bolts just once... so 2 uses out of the bolts are to be used.. 3rd time use it WILL brake!!! But ARP that ****
GM has never said that you can reuse the bolts. Ever! I worked for a GM dealer for a very long time as a technician before I started working on airplanes. We never reused the bolts per GM's directions. It was not recommended to replace them, it was REQUIRED. You sir, can believe whatever you may like but when you reuse your bolts because you think you can, don't come on here crying about help to pull the broken bolt out of the block... There is more than enough information out there for anyone to find, and your statement of what you believe is factual information will not be found by an approved, recommended, or respected site, engine builder or GM. ARP makes a quality part and for a reason. Oh, and brake in your context is spelled break.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Really? I would like for you to find any documentation from GM that shows the install directions for a LS1. Then once you realize that is in degrees, you'll feel stupid...as you should.
I watched um put the engines together..........they use a standard multipoint torque air tool. Tightens all the bolts in one shot.....NO angle dangle or FANGLE involved.

EXCEPT when the consumer has to do any work on the engine gm says you gotta jump through a few hoops......

believe what you want.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gm can get away with that because as you said they all get torqued together and the torquing tool that gm uses tightens them to a point where the bolts are stretched and hold their torque.

the avg joe with a torque wrench cant torque them all at the same time and therefore must use the angle method to ensure each bolt is stretched to provide accurate clamping power.

have you ever pulled an old TTY bolt out and compared it to a new one? You can visibly see that its a little longer after its one torque pass. Believe what you want and have fun pulling broken tty bolts out
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I watched um put the engines together..........they use a standard multipoint torque air tool. Tightens all the bolts in one shot.....NO angle dangle or FANGLE involved.

EXCEPT when the consumer has to do any work on the engine gm says you gotta jump through a few hoops......

believe what you want.
So what torque value were they torqued to?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Gm machines torques all the bolts at the same time. You can bet the computer can torque and keep going to a predetermined angle and you not even notice it by simply watching the operation. Torque to yield is just that. You can't reuse them because they are stretched to a point where they don't return. ARP hardware is torqued to 75% of yield and can be reused.

Quick Reply: Torquing head bolts ???