Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long tubes Texas speed install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long tubes Texas speed install question

anyone have a good way to get the passenger side manifold in?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From below with the car high up in the air
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Launching!

thanks man ill get some 4x4 blocks and lift it higher
Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

pass side was easy......its the drivers side that will make you cuss
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I removed the steering shaft... Or rather unbolted one side so it fell out of the way and I could get the header on the driver's side of my V. I'm running Stainless works headers though. And the V is probably more cramped but passenger side was cake.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

on mine the guy removed the starter and it when in with out to much trouble, the drivers side was a P.I.T.A!!! had to remove the oil filter and loosen the cross member (Yup) and me prying on the engine mount and him forcing it up + cursing
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

All I had to remove on the passenger side was the back two spark plugs and the oil filler neck. They went right in. The driver side, I removed the steering shaft and the oil filter and with a little pushing and wiggling they went right in. Getting the car up high helps a bunch too.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I also run TSP 1 7/8 headers. The drivers side was a pain. What my buddy did was not come in an angle from below like everybody has done. He got my driver side header by flipping the header pretty much verticle with the collector pointed down. Went in easy.. Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I got the driverside in no problems at all just removed oil filter and I-shaft driver side I got it to go in after lifting the car another foot off the ground then it was gravy from there thank you guys for the help!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:46 PM

I have the same headers, 1 7/8", just got them in the mail. The passenger side goes right in. The drivers side keeps getting caught on the K-member or the motor mount. I have been working with this **** all day and can't get the driver's side in. I have the car jacked up 18"+, tried taking motor mounts apart and jacking the motor up (popped my power steering line off yay), I've tried going from the top, from the bottom... I have removed oil filter and steering linkage, plugs, coilpacks... nothing is working.

I can't jack the car up any further safely. My jackstands are maxed out and to get extra lift I have to put wood under the jack and that's just not safe at all. I'm getting frustrated and a little sad right now.

Any advice or tips?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I also run TSP 1 7/8 headers. The drivers side was a pain. What my buddy did was not come in an angle from below like everybody has done. He got my driver side header by flipping the header pretty much verticle with the collector pointed down. Went in easy.. Hope that helps.
How high was the car in the air??? I have my stands maxed out at ~20ish inches in the air (my jack is maxed out and it lifts 18.07" and I have put wood under it) and there is no chance I would be able to tilt the thing vertical to where the collector would be pointing straight down...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by GMtechmatt
I got the driverside in no problems at all just removed oil filter and I-shaft driver side I got it to go in after lifting the car another foot off the ground then it was gravy from there thank you guys for the help!
When you say "another foot" how high was the car already? Or total? And how did you lift it another foot???
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

No need to take the steering shaft out. Remove the oil drain plug and filter, and it should slide in. Took me a while to figure that out, but I finally did. Didnt take the starter off either, pass side was cake.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
No need to take the steering shaft out. Remove the oil drain plug and filter, and it should slide in. Took me a while to figure that out, but I finally did. Didnt take the starter off either, pass side was cake.
I worked with it for two days. I didn't take the drain plug out so that may have worked but honestly it kept hitting the motor mount pedestal, so I finally ended up removing it and that cleared up a TON of room to where I just slid it right up in there. Got two bolts in it, then remounted the motor mount pedestal and steering linkage and went to bed.

So I have 3 bolts in the driver's side. The passenger side slides right in with no effort so that will be easy. Going to get everything buttoned up when I get home today.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by netwalker
How high was the car in the air??? I have my stands maxed out at ~20ish inches in the air (my jack is maxed out and it lifts 18.07" and I have put wood under it) and there is no chance I would be able to tilt the thing vertical to where the collector would be pointing straight down...
Dont know exact height. But get it high enough that you are able to twist that header around. It wont go in at a angle. It was hitting everything when i was trying to put it at an angle. The header fits smooth when you get it in there.

Quick Reply: long tubes Texas speed install question