Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which length of sweet thunder for a not-so-loud sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which length of sweet thunder for a not-so-loud sound?

I'll be installing TSP 1 7/8" headers into eBay true duals, and was wondering which sweet thunder muffler to go with. I live in an apartment complex and don't want to attract a lot of attention. On top of that, I don't want to get pulled over. Seems like most everyone runs 18", but wouldn't the longer ones produce a more mellow(quieter) sound yet still have that good "sweet thunder" sound to it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Launching!

There is a limit to how far you can go before you hit the rear axle. I also have tsp 1 7/8 to the eBay stainless true duals. Ill be down there today heat wrapping my fuel pump again as I changed it yesterday. Ill take some measurements and post back. I spoke with dynomax and magnaflow and was told the longer of a bullet the deeper the tone, quieter the sound, and less rasp. If you want flow though go with a magnaflow or dynomax bullet the sweet thunder necks down and the louvers on chambered mufflers can't be helping the flow. But if sound is more important I agree those sweet thunders and powersticks do sound real nice.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orthopod
There is a limit to how far you can go before you hit the rear axle. I also have tsp 1 7/8 to the eBay stainless true duals. Ill be down there today heat wrapping my fuel pump again as I changed it yesterday. Ill take some measurements and post back. I spoke with dynomax and magnaflow and was told the longer of a bullet the deeper the tone, quieter the sound, and less rasp. If you want flow though go with a magnaflow or dynomax bullet the sweet thunder necks down and the louvers on chambered mufflers can't be helping the flow. But if sound is more important I agree those sweet thunders and powersticks do sound real nice.
Well I know that I'm beating y-pipe flow numbers with or without the Sweet Thunders... So I'm not worried about flow. I'm more worried about it being stainless(these are, powersticks aren't) and having a good sound(everyone seems to like them).

But I do want to keep it moderately quiet. I've got NO cat-back right now on a stock exhaust manifold/catted-y setup and actually enjoy the sound since it's not my DD.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 18" high performance sweet thunders (the ones with the 2.75" inner core). Its pretty loud, i ran the car open headers before i put them on there, and its about the same loudness, the sweet thunders give it a better deeper tone. I really love the way these sound!

In the car its no big deal, the amount of sound deadening and the fact that the sound is behind you makes it completely tolerable in the car. But outside, its pretty loud.

Sweet thunder says on their site "the longer the pipe the sweeter the thunder" idk, if that means quieter, but i would assume it does.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have any ideas? I emailed them yesterday and no response yet!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I too would be interested in this theory, since that I plan to do a custom True Dual setup out the back connected to my SLP CME! I am in Virginia Beach area and already have an exhaust shop in mind. I on the OTHER hand am looking for LOUD! Not quietness... Sweet Thunders I believe sound the best after extensive research on Youtube but again, this is just my opinion.

I would be interested on which size, length and serial number would be my best choice and what would be the difference in their products... Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAD2theBONE
I too would be interested in this theory, since that I plan to do a custom True Dual setup out the back connected to my SLP CME! I am in Virginia Beach area and already have an exhaust shop in mind. I on the OTHER hand am looking for LOUD! Not quietness... Sweet Thunders I believe sound the best after extensive research on Youtube but again, this is just my opinion.

I would be interested on which size, length and serial number would be my best choice and what would be the difference in their products... Thanks in advance!
For loud get the 18" high performance ones
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
Okay we've established that 18" is LOUD. We keep asking what is NOT AS LOUD.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
Appreciate it KingPin! Loud FTW!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Teching In

The longer the muffler the deeper the tone will be, making it softer. I will be interested to see if you can get a 24 inch squeezed under there and where you put it.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in.
i'm setting up my true duals soon. Was going to put on flowmasters tiny mufflers the 10 series but these sweet thunders sound sick online.

Whats the diff between their high performance ones?

Quick Reply: Which length of sweet thunder for a not-so-loud sound?