Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

853 heads work

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 853 heads work

Hey guys. I am planning for a new cam and heads on my LS1 within the next 2 years and am looking for a few opinions.

While I would love to be able to afford some nice aftermarket heads it just isn't in my budget. If I were to send off my 853s to AI it would cost somewhere around 600 less than an after market casting. I am looking at the HCR219cc program. From what I gather it is within a few rwhp of AI ported 243s. So I won't waste my time trying to overpay on cores that will be ported anyway.

Instead I would like to send my existing cores to AI, have them work the 219ccHCR program on them and then install it with the LS2 profile of a Tick SNS stage 2.

I would like some opinions of those running heads that have been through the program or close to it. I am shooting for 450RWHP before I move to a larger block.

I look forward to all info and input. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing wrong with them heads, but...there are other alternatives.

One that comes to mind is the 317's. They can be had very cheap and they have the same ports as the ls6 head. They can be milled for compression, and opened up to unshroud the valves during the cnc process.

Another option is the 862 5.3 head. They have similar posts to your 853's, but have a smaller chamber and a smaller intake valve. The 5.3 head is very popular with cnc porting people because it raises compression without as much milling.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my 853's done by them. my numbers in the sig are done with 3.42 gears and 17x11 rims in the rear. I am going back on the 20th of this month for a touch up tune and to change my gears in the computer, I switched to 410 gears. Overall I am happy.

As far as customer service, its good but you have to do it thru email, so if you need to get ahold of them, you have to wait for them to respond to email.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
Nothing wrong with them heads, but...there are other alternatives.

One that comes to mind is the 317's. They can be had very cheap and they have the same ports as the ls6 head. They can be milled for compression, and opened up to unshroud the valves during the cnc process.

Another option is the 862 5.3 head. They have similar posts to your 853's, but have a smaller chamber and a smaller intake valve. The 5.3 head is very popular with cnc porting people because it raises compression without as much milling.
While I would like to have some 243/317/799 heads, unless I was able to find a set at a ridiculously low price, the cost would come out to the same neighborhood as an aftermarket casting once port work and springs are factored in.

I have been considering the PRC 2.5 5.3 heads as well since they look to make some good power for the price. One of the main attractions of the 219HCR program is that it retained stock PTV while raising the compression so milling wasn't necessary.

Would the fact I am running a 4000 stall have any effect on which would work better as to the power band?

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I have my 853's done by them. my numbers in the sig are done with 3.42 gears and 17x11 rims in the rear. I am going back on the 20th of this month for a touch up tune and to change my gears in the computer, I switched to 410 gears. Overall I am happy.

As far as customer service, its good but you have to do it thru email, so if you need to get ahold of them, you have to wait for them to respond to email.
Nice. I am running 3.23 since I am in an A4. Might move up to a 3.42 when I get a new rear but that is a long way off at the moment. It's just so difficult to make a decision because it's always something just a little bit better if you only throw in a couple hundred more, then a little more, then a little more.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BWW
I thought the 317's chambers were too big in dia to run on a ls1....Do they get small enough when milling so as not to overlap the 3.89 bore ?
I have been wondering just how much can be milled off of them. Im trying to get just over 11:1 using ls1 gaskets.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by handyandy496
BWW
I thought the 317's chambers were too big in dia to run on a ls1....Do they get small enough when milling so as not to overlap the 3.89 bore ?
I have been wondering just how much can be milled off of them. Im trying to get just over 11:1 using ls1 gaskets.
I dont believe thats a problem I had a LS1 with 317s on it. And I agree with BWW , 317 is the most overlooked head in the LS family it flows right with 243 and when milled does not give much on the CR side either. The 862 are an instant bump in compression. 862 with larger intake valve and port work are a great flowing head.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either head you go with or port job you will be happy. I mean, how often are you going to use all of the power? I open it up on the highways but thats about it. My setup is good for 11.8 or so with better air, street trim no weight reduction. I am going to the track in 2 weeks, Ill post up numbers. My 12.1 was bout a 11.9 in better air so Im hoping for at least a 11.8.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Either head you go with or port job you will be happy. I mean, how often are you going to use all of the power? I open it up on the highways but thats about it. My setup is good for 11.8 or so with better air, street trim no weight reduction. I am going to the track in 2 weeks, Ill post up numbers. My 12.1 was bout a 11.9 in better air so Im hoping for at least a 11.8.
You're probably right as far as me being happy with any of the choices. I suppose I was just fretting over getting the most out of the bucks. My head hurts from it all so I think maybe I'll just say to hell with it for right now and just bolt up some stock 243/799 heads when I upgrade the cam in the next year or so. Maybe at a later date I will pull them and have them ported. Thanks for the opinions
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do it once, do it right. Don't pull and install heads twice. Leaves too much chance for error or screwing something up. The less you have to open the engine up the better.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
Do it once, do it right. Don't pull and install heads twice. Leaves too much chance for error or screwing something up. The less you have to open the engine up the better.
While I understand where you are coming from, I don't necessarily think this statement is accurate for all situations. While it is true that the less you take it apart, there is less chance of something going wrong. There is very little on this car that I have not taken apart and put back together at least once. If one is studious in their preparations and are not in a rush to get things done, then I don't see issues with removing parts multiple times if the situation calls for it. I may never pull them again to have them ported. That is an unknown at this time. But I don't want to sit them on a shelf for a year or two dependent on something that may or may not happen in the future. I would rather put them on and use them.

Quick Reply: 853 heads work