Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atypical exhaust tone question: Less resonance/more "dry".For us classic swappers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atypical exhaust tone question: Less resonance/more "dry".For us classic swappers

Moderators, if this should be in Gen IV External subforum, please feel free to move.

Hello all,

As I'm finalizing my Datsun 240Z Lh6 5.3 swap, attention's being turned to exhaust. I realize we're using a pushrod, fuel-injected, large displacement V8, but am hoping you guys can help choose the proper exhaust for my sound preferences.

So as you know I'm not trying to offend, I dearly love the resonating, "deep" basso profundo of various systems on Camaros/trucks etc, and also love the Ferrari Columbo V12 ripping canvas, the "zippy/tinny" rasp of my 996's Tubi, and the manic chatter of a Fiat 500 Abarth; it's all good.

However, for my project, I'm looking for a more old-school European mid/large displacement sound. Less bassy, deep, and burbling than the typical LS exhaust; below are some examples of what I'm talking about:

Notice the above are all different engine configurations; I'm not looking specifically for the smoothness of a straight 6 or 12, or the scream of flat plane cranks/180 degree headers. What all the above have in common is a "dry" sound, more mechanical than bassy, slightly higher pitched than what I normally hear out of the flowmaster/magnaflow stuff. So, any suggestions on layout/muffler brands?

Perhaps staying with segregated dual exhaust rather than having a crossover/Xpipe, small quad exhaust tips, for example. There's limited room underbody, so if a crossover I'd thought an integrated X-pipe muffler such as the Solo Mach X, along with some sort of bullet mufflers right by the exhaust tips.

If unclear with the above, please feel free to ask questions; I'd be happy to give a clearer picture of what I'm intending. Also, note power is irrelevant; this is a street car only, estimated weight of around 2600lbs all up with fuel. Once the exhaust layout is determined, my engine builder will have the cam ground for the powerband I desire.

Thanks to all for the wonderful discussions on here; lurker for 3 years.

Last edited by supertweet; 09-09-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Here're a few more exhaust clips to give some idea of what I'm referring to in sound terms.

The following 2 use the 5.3 SBC from a C2 Vette

A 250SWB with the amazing Columbo V12. There's a guy in here in the neighborhood with a no bullsht 250TR with provenance; it's epic:

The Montreal is much prettier in real life than pics/videos convey:

Just so it's clear I don't need exotic, just mechanical and not in your face, a near-stock MGB GT V8:

Thanks all.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Contrast: Here's a Z with an LS1 swap:

I believe he used swap shorty headers, an X pipe, and some magnaflows. In contrast to all the videos I showed before, this car has that sort of rumbly, exhaust-only sound I'm looking to minimize. This car sounds good, but too Muscle-car for what I intend mine to be.

Hope the comparison helps clarify what the Hell I'm trying to get across.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you mean. You want to hear the cylinder firing sound clearly bouncing off the stainless steel pipes, but without the buzzing or booming characteristic of magnaflow or echo chamber sound of flowmaster chambered muffs.

I do know my platform fairly well. The closest to what you want is the following:

1. Headers with x-pipe and stock muffs.
2. Stock manifolds with corsa catback.
3. Full stainless works exhaust (with turbo chambered mufflers).

Corsa with headers is musical, but perhaps too loud. Addition of x pipe will always result in a higher pitch.

This guy nails it:

Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DACTARI
I do know my platform fairly well. The closest to what you want is the following:

1. Headers with x-pipe and stock muffs.
2. Stock manifolds with corsa catback.
3. Full stainless works exhaust (with turbo chambered mufflers).

Corsa with headers is musical, but perhaps too loud. Addition of x pipe will always result in a higher pitch.

http://youtu.be/_rWl5u_3Pwo

Thanks for the response, and you nailed describing my ideals in a paragraph what took me several posts.

Questions regarding your 3 suggestions:
1. Which "stock" mufflers are you referencing? Remember, my car didn't have an LS in it originally. Also, my manifolds will either be block hugger style swap headers or custom, close to equal-lengthed primaries headers with as close to a horizontal collector as possible. From my exhaust guy, the headers will dictate the sound as much/if not more than the mufflers, so debating the ridiculous cost and heat issues they will produce.

2. I can't use a corsa fatback; I dig the corsa muffler sound, but would have to Fleabay or forum search for mufflers w/o piping. Have a source, or perhaps Tubi's?

3. What is a "full stainless works" exhaust.

Really love the CTS V; heavy sucker, not great with transients, but massive grip, shockingly good ride, and big time punch. Hope the new one hasn't gotten lardy like the current 5-series.

Any further advice from you or others is appreciated.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by supertweet
Thanks for the response, and you nailed describing my ideals in a paragraph what took me several posts.
Well, it was easy as I am trying to achieve the same sound. As you can see from my sig, I have a medium sized cam in my LS2 to 1 7/8 headers going through the stock resonator and stock mufflers. The sound I get is the growl of the FAST intake and the cylinder firing sound through the headers. I really like this sound, but I think a final tweak may be to remove the resonator X-pipe and go to an unresonated X-pipe. This will raise the pitch and make the sound a little more metallic. The cam overlap adds volume on its own. I experimented briefly with magnaflow mufflers and found them to be too loud for my liking.

Questions regarding your 3 suggestions:
1. Which "stock" mufflers are you referencing? Remember, my car didn't have an LS in it originally.
The stock CTS-V mufflers. I believe it is a fiberglass-packed chambered design which was used on many GM V8 cars. People are probably giving these things away because everyone want MO LOUDNESS.

Also, my manifolds will either be block hugger style swap headers or custom, close to equal-lengthed primaries headers with as close to a horizontal collector as possible. From my exhaust guy, the headers will dictate the sound as much/if not more than the mufflers, so debating the ridiculous cost and heat issues they will produce.
This is frankly beyond my understanding, but in my experience this is more a factor in a cammed car. If your car has stock or negative overlap cam, the specifics of the design probably will not matter. I do recall that in a cammed car, long primaries will result more of a mechanical sound because the sound waves will have more room to resonate.

2. I can't use a corsa fatback; I dig the corsa muffler sound, but would have to Fleabay or forum search for mufflers w/o piping. Have a source, or perhaps Tubi's?
I don't have a source besides ebay and forums like this one. Every now and again you can find just the muffs up for sale. I love the Tubi sound, but don't know much about them besides they're pricey given I'm an LS guy.

3. What is a "full stainless works" exhaust.
Stainless works is a company that makes headers and exhaust systems. They make a lovely sound on the V-- very metallic, just like you want. Give them a listen on youtube. Their techs are also pretty well informed and can probably have a technical discussion with you about the sound you want.

Really love the CTS V; heavy sucker, not great with transients, but massive grip, shockingly good ride, and big time punch. Hope the new one hasn't gotten lardy like the current 5-series.

Any further advice from you or others is appreciated.
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I will try to get into something lighter eventually, but for now I enjoy mad maxing it under the radar.

Please keep us posted on how you go with this exhaust. I'd be very interested to hear the finished project.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

I've come to really love the sound of the stock CME catback on my '02 SS running without cats. People would be genuinely surprised how much volume stock mufflers produce when they don't have cats upstream acting as miniature primary mufflers. The tone is excellent, too; I think it might be the kind of sound you are looking for. Running divorce pipes might add to the effect too, seeing as you won't have both sides of the exhaust balancing each other out a bit.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Hi Dactari,

Just youtubed Stainless works on LS cars; lovely, quite what I was looking for! Less pulse-interference sound from cylinder firings, kinda mechanical for lack of terms. Somewhat old school idle, and a nice sonorous bark under load. Contacting them tomorrow; much thanks.

Do you have a vid of your car's exhaust? Perusing junkyards/forums for takeoff stock mufflers would save funds if the sound works for me.

Am doing a mild cam as well; depending on final manifold/configuration. Soundwise, something just a little bumpy and uneven, according to the grinder. It'll likely be a split duration, reverse split lift grind w/ wide lobes and fast ramps, so will sound sporty, but idle well w/ good response.

And FYI, not knocking the CTS in any way; an amazing 4 door luxury car. Beats the hell out of my 3 series wagon family mobile

Mr BluGruv,

I too am curious about divorced duals, as you put it. I've tried searching all over the inter webs, but googling "no crossover" or x/hpipe of course turns up everything about such.

Can you give any 1st hand impressions on an LS injected motor running a segregated dual exhaust setup? I'll check out the CME exhaust clips shortly; thanks

Thanks Guys.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Mr BluGruv,

I too am curious about divorced duals, as you put it. I've tried searching all over the inter webs, but googling "no crossover" or x/hpipe of course turns up everything about such.

Can you give any 1st hand impressions on an LS injected motor running a segregated dual exhaust setup? I'll check out the CME exhaust clips shortly; thanks

Thanks Guys.
Yeh, there really aren't many people that opt for divorced dual exhaust on modern cars, as that setup has been generally noted to leave horsepower on the table compared to an h-pipe or especially x-pipe. Strangely, it seems to be most popular among V6 SN95 Mustang owners. Doing a search on divorced exhaust might yield the most pertinent results overall.

If it's still being routed out the back of the car, it might not sound hugely different, but if you are running something like a laker pipe setup or even running the exhaust to the back then pointing the tips out to the sides, you'll hear an interesting exhaust tone in the car because you'll be hearing one cylinder bank more prominently than the other; it should kind of accentuate the burbly overlap of the crossplane V8 sound.

To my ears, basically running without cats will make the most difference in sounding "old-school." It kind of allows the engine to make the noise and force the muffler to quiet it, as opposed to the engine being quieted by cats and forcing the mufflers to amplify sound that's not really there.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Hi Dactari,

Just youtubed Stainless works on LS cars; lovely, quite what I was looking for! Less pulse-interference sound from cylinder firings, kinda mechanical for lack of terms. Somewhat old school idle, and a nice sonorous bark under load. Contacting them tomorrow; much thanks.

Do you have a vid of your car's exhaust? Perusing junkyards/forums for takeoff stock mufflers would save funds if the sound works for me.

Am doing a mild cam as well; depending on final manifold/configuration. Soundwise, something just a little bumpy and uneven, according to the grinder. It'll likely be a split duration, reverse split lift grind w/ wide lobes and fast ramps, so will sound sporty, but idle well w/ good response.

And FYI, not knocking the CTS in any way; an amazing 4 door luxury car. Beats the hell out of my 3 series wagon family mobile

Oh, I knew you were just stating the facts. She is heavy but hella fun.

I don't have a video since I put the stock mufflers back on. All I have is my phone, anyway, which does not record great sound. Beyond that, it definitely needs an X-pipe to for the kind of sound we're looking for. I will try to record something soon.

Let us know what the Stainless Works guys say.

Quick Reply: Atypical exhaust tone question: Less resonance/more "dry".For us classic swappers