Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..

Like the title states I'm looking for some help.. My stock pcv hoses on my 2000 ss were in bad shape and leaking. I replaced all with 3/8 fuel hose.

Now my problem is I'm going to be using 5.3 valve covers and the pass rear does not have the nipple for the pcv. Instead of making a tee behing the pass vc , I was just going to run the hose from the driver rear, strait to the pass intake port
Like this.
Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-3867748916.jpg
Problem is when I routed my lines like this on car, and blocked off the pass rear port, it made a hissing noice like it was under a lot of pressure. Wham I shut the car off I could still hear the hissing coming from the pass rear from the block off.

I'm wanting to run the lines like this but WITHOUT a catch can. I can't seem to find any info regarding this.

Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-1680710737.jpg
Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

And I redid my pcv "housing" like this

Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-1418792763.jpg

And the pcv is inline on the hoses on the back of the pass side cover
Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Launching!

You have to have a fresh air intake for the system....bad crankcase gases sucked out one side (like you're doing), fresh air in on the other side. Otherwise with just suction you can get too much negative pressure in the crankcase which is what you were hearing hiss...it was actually air trying to get inside. Can be hard on seals also. Just see if you can find a small filter you can clamp to that rear passenger VC nipple, or run hose from it to a point between the throttle body and air filter (that's what green line represents in your diagram). Also when normal fuel hose gets warm enough or is under enough vacuum it can collapse so you may want to consider replacing it with true vacuum hose at some point.

Last edited by SSellers; 11-02-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply.. Well the thing is I'm wanting to use some 5.3 covers that do not have the pass rear nipple.

The stock ls1 covers are on it now and I have it tee'd.

I just put a lot of time painting the 5.3 covers and wanted to use them. I'm not completely understanding what you went by the green line on the diagram.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

The front nipple on the pass vc is hooked up to the tb like this

Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-2865908335.jpg
Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Is that nipple by the oil fill hooked up in front of the butterfly or behind it?

By green line, I was talking about the one in your diagram that is drawn from the passenger side front nipple to the air intake bellows.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

The nipple by the oil feed tube is hooked up to the nipple on the TB I belive stock they are behing the butterfly.

So your saying you can hook that one up to the smooth bellow, the bellow connecting the maf-tb?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you ever considered an LS6 valley cover? It eliminates all of those pesky, annoying, cluttered lines than can (and will) eventually disintegrate. The LS6 valley cover cleans up all of the lines and does a better job than the LS1 PCV does on oil consumption. Here's some pics of mine. I have a catch can on mine. If you don't run a catch can on the LS6 PCV all you do is run a hose from the Valley Cover to the Intake Manifold. The first pic is a before pic with the LS1 Lines. I don't have a pic of just the valley cover on without the intake but the second to last pic shows the set-up done. Notice no crappy lines anymore!!
Attached Thumbnails Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-891888030.jpg   Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-2606829218.jpg   Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-4002585333.jpg   Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..-image-3150232218.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
Have you ever considered an LS6 valley cover? It eliminates all of those pesky, annoying, cluttered lines than can (and will) eventually disintegrate. The LS6 valley cover cleans up all of the lines and does a better job than the LS1 PCV does on oil consumption. Here's some pics of mine. I have a catch can on mine. If you don't run a catch can on the LS6 PCV all you do is run a hose from the Valley Cover to the Intake Manifold. The first pic is a before pic with the LS1 Lines. I don't have a pic of just the valley cover on without the intake but the second to last pic shows the set-up done. Notice no crappy lines anymore!!
To use that LS6 valley cover dont you gotta grind clearance on your block??
Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

I've thought about doing the ls6 valley, just don't have the ***** to do it yet lol. I'm just trying to fix what I got for right now.

By the wall I've studied the how to on ls1how too, how hard is really?? I'm just scared to get metal shavings all in the oil
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colbear96z
And I redid my pcv "housing" like this

Attachment 424232

And the pcv is inline on the hoses on the back of the pass side cover
Nice! My "housing" is the top end of a sparkplug boot that plugs into the coil pack, I just gutted it out and the PCV valve fit PERFECTLY. Probably won't have to worry about the heat ruining it again.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
Nice! My "housing" is the top end of a sparkplug boot that plugs into the coil pack, I just gutted it out and the PCV valve fit PERFECTLY. Probably won't have to worry about the heat ruining it again.
Got a pic? Mines with a brass reducer and heater hose wrapped in shrink wrap
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know you said you didn't want to but a good catch can like the RX performance one is well worth it. Even with the LS6 valley you will still get blow by into the intake on a stock car. When I did my H/C I took my LS6 intake off and held it upside down....oil was dripping out.

Get the complete kit with the check valve filter (that's your fresh air) in place of the oil cap and your guaranteed not to get any oil in the intake. The RX cans have a PCV valve built into so you can remove your in-line one if you want, but you don't have to.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 11-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've thought about doing the ls6 valley, just don't have the ***** to do it yet lol. I'm just trying to fix what I got for right now.

By the wall I've studied the how to on ls1how too, how hard is really?? I'm just scared to get metal shavings all in the oil
It's easy. Just cover the engine bay with towels, stuff some paper towels in the valley, tape off a small "square" around where you'll be cutting, and then use a Dremel while simultaneously running a shop vac to pull as much dust as possible from the work area.

The parts are less than $100 from GMPartsDirect, FWIW. Info from my build thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/17221814-post15.html
Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, the passenger side rear 90* vent tube is only pressed into the hole on the side of the valve cover so with a pair of channel-locks or vise-grip pliers you can remove the tube from the factory LS1 valve cover and install it in the same location on the 5.3 valve cover by drilling a hole in it.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've thought about doing the ls6 valley, just don't have the ***** to do it yet lol. I'm just trying to fix what I got for right now. By the wall I've studied the how to on ls1how too, how hard is really?? I'm just scared to get metal shavings all in the oil
My Vette's an FRC so it's a 99 so I SHOULD have an LS1 block with the part you have to grind, but after taking my stock LS1 valley cover off I found out I have a genuine LS6 block without the extrusion. Early C5's have/had an issue where the starter would rip itself off the block. The first owner of my Vette had that happen and the dealership put an LS6 block in (must have happened shortly after 2000) under warranty. I've put this valley cover in friends LS1's though with the extrusion and it took a few minutes honestly. Very easy mod. My C5 now has very little blow by, and what little does blow by gets caught in my catch can. My intakes dry!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like the title states I'm looking for some help.. My stock pcv hoses on my 2000 ss were in bad shape and leaking. I replaced all with 3/8 fuel hose.

Now my problem is I'm going to be using 5.3 valve covers and the pass rear does not have the nipple for the pcv. Instead of making a tee behing the pass vc , I was just going to run the hose from the driver rear, strait to the pass intake port
Like this.
Attachment 424230
Problem is when I routed my lines like this on car, and blocked off the pass rear port, it made a hissing noice like it was under a lot of pressure. Wham I shut the car off I could still hear the hissing coming from the pass rear from the block off.

I'm wanting to run the lines like this but WITHOUT a catch can. I can't seem to find any info regarding this.

Attachment 424231

If you change your oil every 3,000 miles.....a PCV system is completely useless and not needed. I ran my 427ci for like 4 years without anything at all. EVERYTHING capped off except for two small breathers....one on the LS6 valley cover port and one at the back of the drivers side valve cover. It was perfect.

No oil entering the intake.....just clean air. Oil was always perfectly clean, with ZERO moisture......at every oil change.

PCV systems are not needed.

Quick Reply: Question regarding pcv routing..i know another pcv thread..