Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel Header Bolts... where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Header Bolts... where?

I'm about to install TSP 1 7/8" headers... looking to find some new bolts, preferably stainless steel. Where can I find these? Do TSP's come with new bolts?

Thank you!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

PM "dmracing" I got my stainless bolts from him on here..
Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Burken01
PM "dmracing" I got my stainless bolts from him on here..
Actually... having done some research, I'm going with Alper Motorsports Stainless Header studs from eBay. Can't justify ARP header studs and their 18 ft-lbs they'll be seeing... Just for anyone searching this same topic.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

I use stock OEM header bolts. The ones that came with my Hooker headers were way to short, and the gaskets were garbage.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holloway5
I use stock OEM header bolts. The ones that came with my Hooker headers were way to short, and the gaskets were garbage.
This... Been there, done that...
Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
This... Been there, done that...
lol, wut?

What is wrong with spending $20 on stainless steel studs for headers? Unless you meant been there done that on graphite gaskets. In which case I would agree, MLS is just fine for headers.

And to OEM bolts, screw that (no pun intended). I know OEM they don't put anti-seize on them, but when was the last time you successfully removed all the exhaust manifold bolts on an ls motor from the factory in tact?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I spent $40 on Stage 8 locking header bolts for my QTP's and haven't touched them in 7 and a half years. Just a few dollars more, it's worth it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by idle
Actually... having done some research, I'm going with Alper Motorsports Stainless Header studs from eBay. Can't justify ARP header studs and their 18 ft-lbs they'll be seeing... Just for anyone searching this same topic.
The ARP studs are a little expensive but they make header installation WAY easier and they look nice being 12pt and stainless.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

McMaster Carr......

you can either get bolts, or buy some threaded rod and make studs like I did
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
when was the last time you successfully removed all the exhaust manifold bolts on an ls motor from the factory in tact?
Every single time I've removed stock manifolds from any LS engine...countless trucks and f-bodies with high mileage and new england rust on them, a few clean vettes, and a few 5th gen Camaro's...never stripped or broken one bolt.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same.... I've never had an issue removing stock bolts.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered some Studs from Alper Motorsports on eBay. From what I've read, the convenience is worth it and not having to mess with the bolts nearest the firewall.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

From what I've seen the locking header bolts can be a pain to get off, but definitely a good investment for the peace of mind. In fact when i did my headers i asked a sponsor about the ARP header studs and they advised me to use new OEM, because it's not that big of a deal and money could be spent elsewhere. As far as stock ones go I have never had a problem removing them on my car or my friends car.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

$20 for stainless head studs, why are stock bolts better?

And for those of you who successfully remove every manifold bolt in tact every time, congratulations. I've bought three sets of used heads, each set had exactly three bolts broken off in them. I've had to extract two bolts from cars I've purchased, southern their whole life. I don't go gorilla and I always soak them with penetrating oil.

I just don't understand why y'all are so opposed to stainless header studs when they're only $20.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM
8 Second Club

And for those of you who successfully remove every manifold bolt in tact every time, congratulations. I've bought three sets of used heads, each set had exactly three bolts broken off in them. I've had to extract two bolts from cars I've purchased, southern their whole life. I don't go gorilla and I always soak them with penetrating oil.

I just don't understand why y'all are so opposed to stainless header studs when they're only $20.
I am not opposed....I use header Studs....
hell..I use intake Studs, head studs, header studs, oil dipstick tube stud(lol), studs anywhere I can safely replace a bolt...

sorry you are having such bad luck...
you buying heads for cheap that have bolts broken off in them was your choice

I dont even know how you are breaking them...the threads in the heads strip long before the tensile strength of the bolts gives out...
even a cross threaded bolt will strip the heads long before it will break the bolt

I've done hundreds of set of headers with no issues.....and I have friends who have done numerous sets with no issues
I really have no idea what you are doing wrong that you are breaking bolts

Last edited by soundengineer; 01-01-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Didn't have any issues with the manifold bolts on an f-body but have seen multiple 317 truck heads have broken manifold bolts in them...
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sound, I'm not breaking the bolts putting them in. However, it seems the bolts from the factory tend to seize and they break upon attempted removal. You are right, you'll strip threads out of the head well before you break a bolt on install unless something is seriously wrong.

Putting stock replacements in a head is possible without breaking bolts for sure. And if it's the last time you touch the bolts in the life of the car, that's fine. And I always use the silver anti-seize on install. But what if you have to remove them later on for some reason. I'd rather have studs there for $20.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never said I'm against them either...I run ARP header studs in all my stuff because I like how they look.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

I agree on ARP's SS header stud look real nice. BUT>>>>> they are way over priced IMHO. Over $129.oo yikes !!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ar...1400/overview/
Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I agree on ARP's SS header stud look real nice. BUT>>>>> they are way over priced IMHO. Over $129.oo yikes !!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ar...1400/overview/

its not that over priced when you consider they are hardened and tempered and are an allow steel fastener...harder than grade 8
its an expensive process

Stainless is just slightly stronger than grade 2..

not that I think most people need a grade 8 for the headers....

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Header Bolts... where?