Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 chamber vs. bullets

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
OP, make sure to post up a video once you get the car back from the muffler shop. I'm looking forward to seeing how you compare the new Flowmaster single chambers to the Texas Speed bullets that were on the Texas Speed true duals.
For sure man.. will do.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just wanted to follow up with everybody.

Just installed my 1 chambers and added turndowns. Surprisingly the 1 chambers arent that loud at startup compared to rumbler bullets.

Inside the car is pretty quiet. I will say it sounds very good at cruising speeds. Im thinking of chopping off the turndowns to see if it becomes louder.

The muffler shop chopped off the hanger from the bullets. Then they hacked off the muffler off the X pipe. They added an extension pipe off the X then welded the 1 chambers. I think my ground clearance is even better and its still dumped before the axle.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M.BOZZ
Has anyone tried Vibrant race mufflers on a ls engine ? I'm looking for a good deep sound, i have 1 7/8 long tubes and no cats with a big cam.
Not my car or videos.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone know of the weight difference in Sweet thunders and Borla XR1's? The car is extremely loud now, but getting concerned with vehicle weight. I'm hoping the XR1's would flow just as good/less weight and not affect track times.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
Anyone know of the weight difference in Sweet thunders and Borla XR1's? The car is extremely loud now, but getting concerned with vehicle weight. I'm hoping the XR1's would flow just as good/less weight and not affect track times.
How well does the sweet thunders flow compared to one cambers , bullets ,or xr1 s
Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Not really sure, haven't researched it at all. Sweet Thunders do sound good thought!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Always heard the sweet thunders do not flow very well. I would go with the Borla's.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Did you extend the pipe out any or did you just dump the mini bullets short of the previous set up? I have Spiral Flows now and they end right before the rear axles with tips. I think the overall length of the bullet is 18". Added about 3" for a turndown. I'm wanting 1 chambers, but with the shorter case the overall length and placement of dumps is concerning me.

How do these compare to the 1 chambers? That's be great if they had 1 chamber type sound packed into the bullet shape that could go into my exhaust with minimal hassle.

Here is what I'm working with now.

First Start of 2014. H/C/I 2000 Maple Red Metallic Trans Am. - YouTube
Replaced my Spiral Flows with 1 chambers. Here's a vid. Will try to get the GoPro out and get some driving vids this week.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Always heard the sweet thunders do not flow very well. I would go with the Borla's.
My 3" i/o sweet thunders sound real good just wondering if I'm leaving any power on the table ? If so I wouldn't think it be much.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on what you'd be switching to. I've read several threads that suggest the sweet thunders are somewhat restrictive.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Out of all the mufflers out there, I love how the flowmasters sound the best. It just has more of a rumble and sounds like a true muscle car IMO.

Now I've been thinking instead of going with dual exhaust (mainly for clearance reasons) to try and put the FM 4" merge on my ORY and add the 4" 1 chamber on with a turndown.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So I rolled around for 2 weeks with NO turndowns on my 1 chambers. That **** was LOUD and inside the cabin was pretty loud also. Some drone for sure was going on, but manageable, especially considering most people are not adding 1 chambers and expecting them to be conversation/radio friendl inside the car. But fearing highway travel was going to be a headache I added turndowns at a 45* angle. MUCH better inside the car and haven't lost too much overall loudness. IMO, definitely do turndowns.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Out of all the mufflers out there, I love how the flowmasters sound the best. It just has more of a rumble and sounds like a true muscle car IMO.

Now I've been thinking instead of going with dual exhaust (mainly for clearance reasons) to try and put the FM 4" merge on my ORY and add the 4" 1 chamber on with a turndown.
I used to like my Flowmaster until I noticed that my car sounded exactly the same as any other car or truck with Flowmasters, all the while choking power out of my engine.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man
I used to like my Flowmaster until I noticed that my car sounded exactly the same as any other car or truck with Flowmasters, all the while choking power out of my engine.
Thats true, but once the car is cammed, it sounds like a beast
Old 08-23-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

40575 XR-1® Multi-Core 3" Center-Center 16"x4.25"x7.88" - Racing Muffler
If cost isn't an issue, I love how my dual x pipe setup with the borla mufflers sound

Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your an idiot and you need to quit posting crap like this. The FM10 does not restrict flow or keep any engine from making power. You're regurgitating **** you heard about the muffler they used in their catback. That particular muffler does rob power, but not the FM10 single chamber. Show us something to prove your point, or just shut up and move on along.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Your an idiot and you need to quit posting crap like this. The FM10 does not restrict flow or keep any engine from making power. You're regurgitating **** you heard about the muffler they used in their catback. That particular muffler does rob power, but not the FM10 single chamber. Show us something to prove your point, or just shut up and move on along.
Re-read my post word for word, then read your post word for word.

If you still couldn't figure out what I was trying to say then I will point it out to you. I was referring to MY Flowmaster muffler (80 series). Did I say the "FM10"? I don't see it anywhere in my post. I stated that all Flowmasters sound alike. I did not state that they all flow alike. I stated that MY Flowmaster chokes power. The difference of the words "my" and "every" is pretty substantial.

Evidence of this muffler sucking power: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...true-flow.html

Make sure that you understand what people are saying before you go around trying to talk ****.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Replaced my Spiral Flows with 1 chambers. Here's a vid. Will try to get the GoPro out and get some driving vids this week.

H/C/I with Flowmaster 1 chambers - YouTube

Sounds good sweetbone. How do you like the 1 chambers compared to spiral flows? I swapped out my tsp rumbler bullets for 1 chambers and like it better. I like the distinct sound when reving the 1 chambers.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you still couldn't figure out what I was trying to say then I will point it out to you. I was referring to MY Flowmaster muffler (80 series). Did I say the "FM10"? I don't see it anywhere in my post. I stated that all Flowmasters sound alike. I did not state that they all flow alike. I stated that MY Flowmaster chokes power. The difference of the words "my" and "every" is pretty substantial.

Evidence of this muffler sucking power: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...true-flow.html

Make sure that you understand what people are saying before you go around trying to talk ****.
You never referred to any particular Flowmaster muffler in your post so the way I read it is that you were making a generalized statement about all Flowmaster mufflers. I know that some of the higher series Flowmasters choke power, particularly the direct replacement muffler for the stock cat-back. I've just seen too many times on here people "generalizing" all Flowmaster mufflers with the one that's a replacement for the cat-back.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you still couldn't figure out what I was trying to say then I will point it out to you. I was referring to MY Flowmaster muffler (80 series). Did I say the "FM10"?
Who cares what you said. Your entire post was irrelevant. We're talking about the 10 series here. You do realize that is heading of thread that YOU CLICKED ON? Furthermore, all Flowmaster mufflers do NOT sound alike. My 10 series sound nothing at all like an 80 series does. And while you are right that the 80 series is resrictive and some 40/50 series hurt power when used incorrectly, the 10 series does not.

Quick Reply: 1 chamber vs. bullets