Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecir45
Just an idea on the rear plug where MAP is relocated.

This guy says intake is made of nylon 6/6.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16290469-post59.html

Thinking cutting rear oval plug to the flat then buying some nylon 6/6 sheet 3/8 or 1/2 thick to weld it in place of. Should make a nice large flat area to drill and tap or weld too for vacuum ports.

MAP should fit into a drilled 3/8 hole then make a hold down bracket for the MAP.
lol That guy is posting on this thread. Starting in post #7.

I like the way you're thinking! You're wheels are tuning. Love to see positive creative minds come together.

It would probably look a lot better with a flat sheet back there.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdlightning
Great job. Excellent video. We all thank you:
Thank you pdlightning!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda funny some of my old threads have been pulled up lately.

FYI ecir 45, standard 6/6 nylon isn't too hard to get (Grainger, etc), but our intakes are the 30% glass fill, which seems much harder to get & way more expensive. Still haven't got my quote in from Sabic Polymers yet, probably don't want to say the price.

And gearhead, you got me back thinking about my intake project again. Even though I got no business spending time on it, I pulled it out & started playing with another option for the fabricated metal portion of the crossram dual plenum upper section::::STAINLESS STEEL. There are actually some aftermarket intakes made from stainless. I already have some #316 stainless tubing I started making sample runners with. Will see if I can shape my own bellmouths for the runners with 1 of several possible methods.
The plenums section may be the bigger challenge, but with stainless tubing rather than hammerforming aluminum tapered runners, this could become a reality sooner. Stainless will be heavier than I wanted, but after polishing , it sure will be perty.
May post pics in a few weeks.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man it makes the intake look great. Only thing I would be kinda sketched out about would be if you were to turbo it. Im pretty sure those holes you filled in are pretty thin and would crack under some boost.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
FYI ecir 45, standard 6/6 nylon isn't too hard to get (Grainger, etc), but our intakes are the 30% glass fill, which seems much harder to get & way more expensive. Still haven't got my quote in from Sabic Polymers yet, probably don't want to say the price.
All that is needed to fill the rear plug is a 6 x 6 piece.

McMaster has the nylon filled but the smallest is 12 x 12 x 1/2 thick 50.57 3/8 thick 41.31. They have standard in 6 x 6 x 1/2 thick 13.58 3/8 thick 11.49.

Do ya'll think we get away with just the standard?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-6/6-sheets/=sgqm46
Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
And gearhead, you got me back thinking about my intake project again. Even though I got no business spending time on it, I pulled it out & started playing with another option for the fabricated metal portion of the crossram dual plenum upper section::::STAINLESS STEEL. There are actually some aftermarket intakes made from stainless. I already have some #316 stainless tubing I started making sample runners with. Will see if I can shape my own bellmouths for the runners with 1 of several possible methods.
The plenums section may be the bigger challenge, but with stainless tubing rather than hammerforming aluminum tapered runners, this could become a reality sooner. Stainless will be heavier than I wanted, but after polishing , it sure will be perty.
May post pics in a few weeks.
Great! I'd like to see more on that project and I'm sure many others would also.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
Man it makes the intake look great. Only thing I would be kinda sketched out about would be if you were to turbo it. Im pretty sure those holes you filled in are pretty thin and would crack under some boost.
Yea, i hope to test an intake like this with boost one day. Too many of us wondering.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ecir45
All that is needed to fill the rear plug is a 6 x 6 piece.

McMaster has the nylon filled but the smallest is 12 x 12 x 1/2 thick 50.57 3/8 thick 41.31. They have standard in 6 x 6 x 1/2 thick 13.58 3/8 thick 11.49.

Do ya'll think we get away with just the standard?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-6/6-sheets/=sgqm46
Yea, I'd think a half inch would be plenty. Thats thicker then it is from the factory.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey AGHAL, if you are curious to see what these intakes look on the inside take a look the thread Smooth Truck Intakes . https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...intakes-6.html I have posted some pics of mine on there and check out what Chad Pickens has done to his also.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omc8
Hey AGHAL, if you are curious to see what these intakes look on the inside take a look the thread Smooth Truck Intakes . https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...intakes-6.html I have posted some pics of mine on there and check out what Chad Pickens has done to his also.
Thanks man! I'll check it out.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: Truck is still running great with this intake on it. I've had no noticable leaks or issues with it. I have been daily driving it and even drove it about 3hrs to LS Fest a few weeks ago.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you don't have a really bad backfire (not likely) , shouldn't be any issues.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This post is due for an update.
I've been daily driving mine for over 9 months now and I beat the **** out of it. Plenty of WOT pulls. I havent seen any issues to note yet. The 5.3 that its on is about 425 chp.

Only thing that I would do different and will do on my next one, is that instead of using body filler to smooth the top, I will use something called Lab-Metal. It's much stronger. A guy posted a comment below my video of shaving these intakes, that he used Labmetal and has run it on ten pounds of boost so far with no problems. He plans to test it with more boost this summer.

Here's the link to the video:

Old 03-04-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some videos of some of the abuse that I put it through.

Big burnout video:

Lots of WOT pulls:

Old 06-05-2016, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has anybody found a faster way to do this? Looks like it takes forever.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pyro719
Has anybody found a faster way to do this? Looks like it takes forever.
I've heard of people melting in thin metal chunks to fill the holes and then coating the top with something like 3M Panel bond. That may be quicker. I plant to try it one day.

Quick Reply: LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"