Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying WS6 w/ headers, egr delete....Need tune??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Buying WS6 w/ headers, egr delete....Need tune??

I am going to look at a ws6 this weekend. The car has egr delete and headers and catless y-pipe. I was wondering if the car would need a tune with just these exhaust modifications.

I was planning on getting the Engine Light tuned out which should be around $150 so I can pass an echeck booth but didnt know if the car would need an actual dyno tune with just these minor exhaust changes. If so how much would I be looking at for a decent tune?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't *need* it, but you should if you want to get the most out of your modifications.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
You don't *need* it, but you should if you want to get the most out of your modifications.
So it wont "hurt" the engine driving it without a tune for awhile until i can build some cash to get it tuned?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Won't hurt it....it'll just run rich. I ran mine without a tune like that for years. I would just get a mail order tune. I'm normally not a fan of them but for just bolt-ons I wouldn't waste $400 on a full dyno tune. They can turn off the engine light with one too.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Won't hurt it....it'll just run rich.
Why does it run rich? Do the o2 sensors and/or MAF not work anymore when installing long tube headers?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning future mods? The car will run fine, but not optimally. If you plan on camming the car, hold off on the tune until then.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

External engine stuff or you could post in the Firebird sections.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just spend $150 on a mail-order tune from one of the sponsors or a popular past vendor, Frost (where I got mine). Such a tune will not only take care of your SES light, but also adjust things to maximize your exhaust modifications
Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I would just spend $150 on a mail-order tune from one of the sponsors or a popular past vendor, Frost (where I got mine). Such a tune will not only take care of your SES light, but also adjust things to maximize your exhaust modifications
Do you have a link to a good recommend shop to receive a mail-order from.

As for additional mods for the next year or so it is doubtful but as time progresses the car will probably receive h/c/i setup.

Thanks you for the replies and to that mod who redirected the forum I apologize for the misplacement it was a matter of I did not investigate all the potential forum options for proper placement of the thread.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Why does it run rich? Do the o2 sensors and/or MAF not work anymore when installing long tube headers?

Meh.....since you asked I looked it up cuz I was curious despite your sarcastic wording. Always heard it made the car run rich but I read this from edcmat who is a good tuner. I just copy and past, Interesting...

In closed loop, the air fuel ratio will still be stoich. Even though the headers allow the engine to move more air, the computer compensates so it can keep it in stoich during closed loop operation.
Under WOT, when its running open loop, plus power enrichment, the headers cause the air fuel mixture to be somewhat leanER than the if it had exhaust manifolds. That being said, it is still not LEAN. Which, by definition is numerically above stoich, or 14.7:1.
Typically a stock LS1, unmodified what so ever, will have an A/F ratio of somewhere around 11.4:1
With nothing more than a good set of long tubes, the A/F ratio usually will be a full point higher. That is 12.4:1. I've seen them close to 13:1 from long tubes and a good intake.
Take this knowledge and share with all tan of red one...speak of me kindly when educating the masses.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get a mail order tune unless you are installing a cam or other major modifications besides bolt ons.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the replies.....

Was supposed to go down Saturday to view and purchase.

Car sold Today.......

Wasted vacation day and $20 to have the bank check priority mailed to my house for the weekend.

My luck at buying cars this summer has been about as bad as it possibly can get.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happened to me with two different G8's (paying extra to get the check in time, too). Keep looking as there are a ton of these cars out there -- it just depends how far you're willing to travel.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of other nice cars out their! Keep on looking.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get a dyno tune even with the few mods you have. I did longtubes, air and egr delete witb high flow cats and my car was super lean on wot. Like 18:1 lean. And there was a 180km/h speed limiter on the car. It was really expensive for the dyno tune but if I didnt get it done, i would of probably blew my engine.

Quick Reply: Buying WS6 w/ headers, egr delete....Need tune??