Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new intake on the block

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015 | 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just make sure this "LS2" replacement doesn't require LS2 fuel rails, that would push up the cost of a budget upgrade.
Old 01-21-2015 | 04:05 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Fry_
Just make sure this "LS2" replacement doesn't require LS2 fuel rails, that would push up the cost of a budget upgrade.
Then LS2 guys who buy their replacement intake would have to change to LS1/6 rails. That would get confusing. Any LS2 intake, for simplicity, should use LS2 rails to be a direct fit bolt-on in the factory application. Keeping things in line with the factory parts interchangeability is important, and is likely the only way Dorman would do it since their applications are actually factory replacement.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-22-2015 | 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can use both LS1 and LS2 rails on a FAST 92 can't you? Don't see why Dorman couldn't do the same.
Old 01-22-2015 | 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

no you cant. if you have a 92 you need ls1 fuel rails or mod the ls2 ones. The mounting tabs for the screws are in different places. I agree with the above if you do an ls6/90mm hybrid option keep it as an ls2 direct replacement. Ls2 fuel rails can be had for 50-100 bucks anyway
Old 01-22-2015 | 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Mike-
I'll give my opinion, having only seen the intake on here. Take it for whatever it's worth. I think that as a stock replacement part, it will do a fine job. Like others have noted, it falls a little short compared to an oem ls6 on an aggressive setup. But as a stock replacement, as intended, I'm sure the difference would not be noticeable at all between oem and yours. So, mission accomplished. If I ever buy another f-body as a bolt-on only dd, I will definitely buy your manifold.

With that said, if you guys were to fix the little things on this intake that people have pointed out like the ports and added a true 90mm snout, then sell the revised one as the ls2 replacement, I think you will have a money maker. I realize you aren't supposed to be designing performance parts lol hence the whole "just market it as an ls2" deal. Right now FAST and soon to be MSD are the only real intake options for us. Those of us with the old ls1 manifold can either overpay for an ls6 or pay the premium for the FAST. Don't get me wrong. They are very nice pieces. But they have a monopoly and the price reflects that, not to take away from all the R&D that went into their manifolds. What this market needs is a middle option, and you guys have the PERFECT opportunity to be just that. There are a lot of people that need more air than the ls6 can provide, but have a very hard time justifying the cost of a FAST. It'd say at least 75% of people on this board have debated that before purchasing one way or the other. I am one of those people. While I'd call my car a budget build, it would not seem so looking at it. Im just a careful shopper. Your current price is excellent. But I for one would pay a little more money to have all the little kinks worked out. That's where this ls2 replacement could fit right in.

Thanks for coming on here and asking for feedback. Just keep what we have all said in mind. As you can see, word on here travels fast. If you build us a manifold that fits between the oem ls6 and a fast, you won't have to worry about selling it. We will sell it for you. It will be on every LS forum on the web and you'll sell as many as you can produce. I know the people you'd have to get on board with it don't give a damn about our go fast parts, but I reckon they probably like our money, yeah? And a whole boatload full of it, I can assure you. Everybody wins!
Just to reinforce this post, this guy said it right.
Old 01-22-2015 | 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Just had that dorman manifold in my shop the other day. It's was for a 98 Camaro.
Old 01-22-2015 | 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DormanIntake
I read a lot through these posts and various other ones. What is everyone's general feedback on the manifold? Are there other manifolds people are looking for that is not currently available? Any other popular swaps?

Mike
Product Manager Dorman Products Intake Manifolds
I'm really looking forward to purchasing one next week. As people have stated the ls6's are getting pricey. Anyone who says they can find one for 350 probably hasn't looked to buy recently.... even on CL they're going for 400, keep in mind that's used. So the price for a comparable manifold is def an eye popper.

I realize it's a little contradictory to praise the price and then ask for improvements... but as was mentioned the improvements are really more like flaw corrections. the porting and the narrow TB opening i think are my only concerns.

Thanks for Asking!
Old 01-23-2015 | 01:07 AM
On The Tree

If those small improvements were made, I'd bet money the price of OEM ls6 intakes would easily fall to the $250 range, if it can even marginally best the OEM ones, sales would be through the roof.
Old 01-23-2015 | 07:39 AM
The Scammer Hammer
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by McNasty
If those small improvements were made, I'd bet money the price of OEM ls6 intakes would easily fall to the $250 range, if it can even marginally best the OEM ones, sales would be through the roof.
Good luck. Mine will sit on the shelf forever if prices ever go that low.
Old 01-23-2015 | 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
no you cant. if you have a 92 you need ls1 fuel rails or mod the ls2 ones. The mounting tabs for the screws are in different places. I agree with the above if you do an ls6/90mm hybrid option keep it as an ls2 direct replacement. Ls2 fuel rails can be had for 50-100 bucks anyway
Well that sucks. It looks like you can buy an adapter kit for $75 but they aren't a direct fit like I thought.
Old 01-23-2015 | 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

ya i wouldnt waste time on that though. I bought a new set of rails of an ls3 crate motor for 35 bucks. They can be had from gm for 105 or so, if you look in the classifieds on or corvetteforum. Then just used some washers or spacers to make up for the height difference of an ls2 injector
Old 01-24-2015 | 03:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Good luck. Mine will sit on the shelf forever if prices ever go that low.
Supply vs. demand...I know if there's an as good or better option for a little over $300 brand new, there's isn't a chance in hell I'm spending the average $400 for one you see them go for anymore. Not saying they will go that low but a few years back you could find a deal or two every now and then in that range, ****'s gotten ridiculous.

Edit: I originally started out in the DSM crowd and something similar to this happened, once word gets around (with provisions mentioned), prices are bound to drop significantly. One of the easiest things to sell back in the day for a dsm were a certain year eprom ECU that were easy to work with, easy to pull etc from the junkyard, list them up for $200-250 all day. Within a couple months of a reputable company finding a way to use the other style ECU's, the prices literally cut in half.
Old 01-24-2015 | 07:06 AM
The Scammer Hammer
15 Year Member

There's always someone willing to pay for OEM though. I'll wind up keeping mine anyway in case I ever sell the car and need to go back to stock.
Old 01-24-2015 | 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Screw the "improvements", I don't mind needing to spend some time with a Dremel at my work bench if it saves me money. Also if you look at some pictures of a FAST 78, 90, or 92 you'll see most of the same flaws in there ports also. I'd still be interested in a 90mm "LS2" intake thats uses the same base as this "LS6" intake does, $3-350 for a 90mm intake, $100 for some used LS2 rails, a $250 used TB, and some time spent porting it and you'll have a intake ready to support 450+ hp.
Old 01-25-2015 | 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

just find a used fast 102 intake and copy that for the ls2 crowed..now that would be ******* **** if you could then get a 102mm knock off for like $350
Old 01-25-2015 | 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

They already have the LEGAL right to use the old FAST 78/90 base all they need to do is make a top for it with a 90 or better yet 92mm TB opening. 2mm might not seem like much but it would allow more aftermarket TB's to fit without modifications.
Old 01-26-2015 | 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fry_
They already have the LEGAL right to use the old FAST 78/90 base all they need to do is make a top for it with a 90 or better yet 92mm TB opening. 2mm might not seem like much but it would allow more aftermarket TB's to fit without modifications.
They need to make a top with better overall runner shape. They can at least approximate the runner volume of a FAST.

the size of the throttle body opening isn't everything.
Old 01-27-2015 | 12:08 AM
Teching In

Default Ls2

Why isn't the Ls2 intake radical ported by Peak Speed shop an option? doesn't it flow better than the Ls6 and the cost is still overall less than the Fast? I have an Ls6 intake that I have on my car now and a Ls2 that I'm thinking about sending in. They claim it out performs the Ls6 in all ranges. is any of this true.
Old 01-27-2015 | 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rick10
Why isn't the Ls2 intake radical ported by Peak Speed shop an option? doesn't it flow better than the Ls6 and the cost is still overall less than the Fast? I have an Ls6 intake that I have on my car now and a Ls2 that I'm thinking about sending in. They claim it out performs the Ls6 in all ranges. is any of this true.
Worthless.

The cost of the intake plus the cost of the "radical" porting is equal to that of a FAST intake, which will far outperform a ported stock intake.
Old 01-27-2015 | 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Worthless.

The cost of the intake plus the cost of the "radical" porting is equal to that of a FAST intake, which will far outperform a ported stock intake.

There is a ls2 intake for sale used for $175 in the classified section the cost of the radical porting is $370, throttle bodies cost an average of $300 more or less depending on which one u buy. all that together is still less than a FAST intake alone without all the accessories needed to make it work. I know it won't perform better than the FAST but i was told it will outperform the ls6 intake. Since I was practically given the Ls2 intake I figure I'm that much ahead on cost and I could sell the ls6 intake to help offset the cost of porting and new throttle body.

Quick Reply: new intake on the block