Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman ls6 intake 615-900

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to take a few back there, but my phone won't take one that isn't blurry. I dropped it in gear oil a while back, so I can't be too mad lol. Got your message. I'm basically done with it I think. I got a crude measurement with what I have onhand. It is now 78 mm at the back.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i got my intake manifold in today, 2 days late but its here, awesome, got it on my lunch break took it to work to check it out, open it up and the ******* lower right TB mount is broken off and laying in the box.... see if they handle the situation and replace it or something, not how i wanted my week to end
Old 02-20-2015, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a candidate to split open for a look see.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

they are taking as a return no issues so hopefully getting another but will see what happens, if not ill order another if they have them in stock : \

ill try to take pics of things i see i dont like to much lol
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Tough luck man. Glad they're hooking you up with another though. If you haven't sent it off already, take a measurement of the inner most part of the TB opening. Or when you get the new one would be fine too. I forgot to measure the inner part before I opened it up. I've spent twice as long on the inner part as I have the outer, so it's gotta be quite a bit smaller lol curious to know how much I've actually taken out
Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I called yesterday and ordered one from O'reillys auto parts . And it came in today went down to take a look at it , well turns out some how it got nicked at the rear and it has a hole in it. This damage does not appear from shipping or handling . So the quality control slipped up on this one . There must not be a lot of these out there because they only show 4 total in their system for this region . But the overall appearance and quality seems to be decent for OE replacement part. With the mods some of you guys are doing and then painting it will look the part. The biggest disappoint in this intake is the way they did the tb snout and opening it could have been so much better. And this one did not have the button head valley bolts that are now supposed to be included. I did not see the problem area @ 4 o'clock that Sawblade99z and others have talked about . Oh and don't plan on ordering one from them quiet yet they list for $ 606 even at my price $ 524 is sky high. Even the counter guys at O'reillys were shocked buy the cost .
Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more flaws and restrictions I hear about the more I like this intake. Most of them are things I can fix myself, and if this thing was within 8 hp of a LS6 intake on a full heads and cam motor with all of these flaws think of it's potential with all of them removed.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
The more flaws and restrictions I hear about the more I like this intake. Most of them are things I can fix myself, and if this thing was within 8 hp of a LS6 intake on a full heads and cam motor with all of these flaws think of it's potential with all of them removed.
I was thinking the same thing. It has potential.

I'm working on getting one to really do some work to... We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Omc- $600?!?! Hell, even $524 or whatever is entirely too much. I paid $294 SHIPPED from parts geek. Using the SAVE15 discount code. It came wrapped in bubble wrap inside a snug fitting box, then set inside a bigger box that was filled full of packing material.

Sucks that, out of those of us that have purchased it, there seems to be a 50/50 split between good and unusable pieces delivered. As random as everyone else's problems have been, maybe an extra length of gasket that got pinched off is all I'll deal with lol crossing my fingers on that. I haven't touched mine anymore. Figure when I look at it again in a few days with a fresh set of eyes I'll be able to better judge my work. And inevitably do more.

Agreed with Fry.. I think I'll be very satisfied for the money spent and time invested when I throw this on top of my build.

+1 for the Dr getting a free one to go HAM on.

Edit: Question for you guys... Since we've established a stock 74 mm outer/even smaller inner tb measurement, how much difference do you guys think it will make just having that 78 mm all the way through? Maybe guesses with and without touching the bottom shell. For comparison sake, on the motor used in the dyno we saw when it came out.

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 02-20-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Omc- $600?!?! Hell, even $524 or whatever is entirely too much. I paid $294 SHIPPED from parts geek. Using the SAVE15 discount code. It came wrapped in bubble wrap inside a snug fitting box, then set inside a bigger box that was filled full of packing material.

Sucks that, out of those of us that have purchased it, there seems to be a 50/50 split between good and unusable pieces delivered. As random as everyone else's problems have been, maybe an extra length of gasket that got pinched off is all I'll deal with lol crossing my fingers on that. I haven't touched mine anymore. Figure when I look at it again in a few days with a fresh set of eyes I'll be able to better judge my work. And inevitably do more.

Agreed with Fry.. I think I'll be very satisfied for the money spent and time invested when I throw this on top of my build.

Edit: Question for you guys... Since we've established a stock 74 mm outer/even smaller inner tb measurement, how much difference do you guys think it will make just having that 78 mm all the way through? Maybe guesses with and without touching the bottom shell. For comparison sake, on the motor used in the dyno we saw when it came out.
Still cheaper on parts geek with code.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z

Yes its sky high , brick and mortar stores are really proud of these ! I had no intention of buying at that price , Auto zone wants $ 499 for them . They will price match and would do the internet price for me if asked , because I buy a lot of parts there. With some time I think the auto parts stores will bring the price down to compete with the internet . As for the damage the box was sealed and showed no damage to the box . There was no bubble wrap or packing material it clearly got by quality control inspection . I did take some pictures of it and measured it with a digital caliper , I measured 72.92 mm , so call it 73 mm rounding up.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Okay, so the 73 mm the dyno testers got was pretty much dead on. Good to know. Just seemed smaller than that for some reason when looking at it. I'll get an accurate measurement when I can use a set of calipers. Weather hasn't permitted me to leave for the past week.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omc8
Yes its sky high , brick and mortar stores are really proud of these ! I had no intention of buying at that price , Auto zone wants $ 499 for them . They will price match and would do the internet price for me if asked , because I buy a lot of parts there. With some time I think the auto parts stores will bring the price down to compete with the internet . As for the damage the box was sealed and showed no damage to the box . There was no bubble wrap or packing material it clearly got by quality control inspection . I did take some pictures of it and measured it with a digital caliper , I measured 72.92 mm , so call it 73 mm rounding up.
Ask if they price match Rock Auto. I was in O'Reillys a couple months ago because I was going to buy something (I don't even remember what it was) and I asked if they price matched and they said yes. So I showed them the Rock Auto price on my phone. The guy wouldn't price match it he said they would only price match internet pricing. I said Rock Auto is on the internet. He said no he meant they would only match online sales pricing. I said Rock Auto was online and sold auto parts. He then said he just wasn't allowed to match Rock Auto. I said thanks but I'll just buy it from Rock Auto then. He said "I normally buy all my stuff from them also". No joke, exact words.

Not that Rock Auto has a good price on the intake, I just think it's a good price match story.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

I may get one of these intakes my self just to play with.

I work in the parts business and it sucks when someone comes in with online pricing and expects us to match it. Most time Rock Auto has parts well under our cost so there is no way to price match this. We all got to eat and live also lol
Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Ask if they price match Rock Auto. I was in O'Reillys a couple months ago because I was going to buy something (I don't even remember what it was) and I asked if they price matched and they said yes. So I showed them the Rock Auto price on my phone. The guy wouldn't price match it he said they would only price match internet pricing. I said Rock Auto is on the internet. He said no he meant they would only match online sales pricing. I said Rock Auto was online and sold auto parts. He then said he just wasn't allowed to match Rock Auto. I said thanks but I'll just buy it from Rock Auto then. He said "I normally buy all my stuff from them also". No joke, exact words.

Not that Rock Auto has a good price on the intake, I just think it's a good price match story.
Yea same here if you ask if price match they say yes , but they are not suppose to do Rock Auto . If you buy a lot , and get to know the manager they will do it though.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Here is my finished TB opening. For real this time lol. All the walls are straight and it measures 78 mm front to back. Lacking calipers, I measured 78 mm on a Popsicle stick with a good ruler. Then compared it to the front. Dead on. Then I broke it to fit sideways on the inside and compared my lines there. Good to go. Last, I used a straight edge and moved it all the way around the wall to make sure I had them straight. Gotta smooth it out and I'm done there. I've gotta cut myself off before I go too far. More so than I probably already have... See 2nd pic for that.

This is what had to happen to get that 78 mm throughout... It only did this at 4-5 o'clock and then the same thing about 30% of the size at 7-8. These areas do not just fall all the way to the bottom, nor do they allow air to move anywhere else. It's just a small cavity with what you see being the only exposed area. A couple mm deep in the worst part. Being at the very back and not being very wide, I dont THINK this will hinder performance. I could be totally wrong there so please correct me with any possible consequences. Actually, someone please address this regardless so I have some peace of mind or know to expect a flow problem.

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 02-23-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone actually calipered a TRUE LS6 intake opening to ensure IT is indeed 78mm?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Teching In

my first one came broken, single wall box, the intake head surface had punched through both sides of the box and there was a 3/4"-1" chunk missing out of the back corner, and the brake booster hose nipple was half smashed and also through the box, just came in the dorman box, no material what so ever to protect it. Had to send back and get a replacement
Old 02-23-2015, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone looking get rid of one of the broken ones? I can't use the vacuum booster port on the back so I would have to cut it off (engine too far back for it to fit) and I could fix a TB mount. I really want to cut one open in the mill and try some porting and see how it goes together and take some pics, etc.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Has anyone actually calipered a TRUE LS6 intake opening to ensure IT is indeed 78mm?
Will you kindly?

And to everyone else, just curious where you're ordering them from? Mine was packed very well.

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 02-23-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Dorman ls6 intake 615-900