Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman ls2 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Well you definitely sagged it at the right time and Price. Strange thing is I looked several times in September and it wasn't listed.and if look back at preceding page it will reflect the same thing. As far the price swing never saw it that high of $378 . The range I have observed was from $343 to about $317 those where without a discount.
Agree, I did hit it at the right moment. I've seen it listed up to the $390 - 399 range on RA. I recall checking RA at 5am, noon, 5pm, and 10pm for about 2 weeks straight, then when I saw it drop from the $337, I grabbed it.
Sadly... Months ago before I first started reading this thread RA had it list for less than the Dorman LS6 version, LS6D was listed at $292, and LS2D was $283... Wish I knew what it was a week or so earlier!

Give WS6Store a try, they might surprise you! (If I'm reading their post correctly) "Spoiler alert"...

Good hunting!
Mike
Old 10-26-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach-R
I have the intake on and car is running smoothly. So far so good. I will hopefully post a write up today for those interested. Someone asked for pics of my smoothed out intake runners so here you go.
that's a really nice job, but it still seems you can't completely remove that "ramp" from the top of the runner to the lower shell.

i really wish dorman had kept the original FAST/Wilson design for the top shell instead of only using the mid and bottom shell and designing their own proprietary top shell. You'd have a larger runner volume and wouldn't have to deal with the lousy runner-to-port transition.

i'm still in for dyno and flow numbers compared to an OEM LS6 manifold.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Default Nice Clean Up!

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts
that's a really nice job, but it still seems you can't completely remove that "ramp" from the top of the runner to the lower shell.

i really wish dorman had kept the original FAST/Wilson design for the top shell instead of only using the mid and bottom shell and designing their own proprietary top shell. You'd have a larger runner volume and wouldn't have to deal with the lousy runner-to-port transition.

i'm still in for dyno and flow numbers compared to an OEM LS6 manifold.
Doubt FAST/Wilson wanted them producing a 100% copy, especially at the Dorman price point > being less than 1/2 the price of their manifolds! Bad for business, but good business to license the bottom, as its pretty much a straight shot to the head ports - they sure didn't give away their "special sauce", or anything like that! As the upper might have done.

I recall reading they used the FAST Bottom, the LS6 Upper, with Neck from the LS2 for the 4 bolt inlet to allow for larger TB's. That would account for the mismatch between the upper and lower... Wonder if some 320 then 600 grit wet sandpaper would really smooth out the port blending... Haven't cleaned the ports on my LS2D yet, but pictures like yours shore do inspire me to get after it!

Nice job!

Last edited by MikeyZ28SS; 10-26-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Business model
Old 10-26-2017, 09:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

You can get rid of the small side transition and make the down turn much smoother and less of a hump. Ill post a pic in a few of a nearly completed runner from our ported dls2s. Just minor sanding to smooth out the rough marks is the last step.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Since the topic at hand is the Dorman LS2, would a nicely "warmed over" 5.3 of, say, 375-400FWHP, be needing the flow capacity of the LS2 with its larger TB capability? Or would an LS6 manifold do as well or better?
Old 10-27-2017, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Since the topic at hand is the Dorman LS2, would a nicely "warmed over" 5.3 of, say, 375-400FWHP, be needing the flow capacity of the LS2 with its larger TB capability? Or would an LS6 manifold do as well or better?
intake manifolds aren't all about raw flow capacity, even though it does matter.

the runner design plays a fair role in tuning for max cyl pressure at the right rpm range, and i am sure affects port velocity as well.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I can appreciate this reasoning. So maybe I should word it this way- Which manifold would work better for the 5.3 mentioned above; Dorman LS2, or LS6(OEM or Dorman)?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

A higher strung 5.3 would benefit from the added volume and inlet from the Dls2.
Honestly, on a smaller engine, you wont see a huge gain unless it either greatly increases plenum volume (ala ls6 vs ls1) or your engine actually exceedes the ability of the manifold to provide the air. Longer runners in the ls world are usually larger also so it doesnt hinder top end performance as much as the old sbc tpi style did but they will promote the lower and mid range.
Normally youll see that as a dropping MAP (kpa) during a wot pull. Unloaded wont show it as much as a loaded dyno also.
I've seen ls6 manifolds drop 5kpa on the top end on "proven" combos that swear they pull the engine to 6800 and it makes power. Loaded dynos are way better for true testing but hurt feelings and egos easily.
I have not done any actual csa or runner length measurement on a dls2 so all of this is based off normal engine theory but also experience.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I'd think that the longest runner intake would create the most torque on a 5.3.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

When the runners are integral to the intake then you lose plenum volume and sacrifice it for runner length which is a trade off based off static external dimensions.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts

Facebook Post
I just read from where I left off. I want to let you guys know a few things I didn’t see posted....some very good info for you and made me feel good about my choice for this manifold.

1) I recommend buying an intake from tech@ws6store. Very highly. I was having an issue with my install and he helped me out even though I didn’t buy my intake from him. I wish I had. We emailed back and forth probably a dozen times and he always replied within 30 minutes and I didn’t even buy the intake from him. So whether he’s a few bucks higher or not (his prices on some things I looked at were cheaper than everyone else btw) I’d recommend buying from him because the communication is second to none.

Please note, you MUST CHANGE the valley cover bolts to the lower profile bolts that come with the manifold. I had been having some serious tuning issues because of a vacuum leak I had. Tech@ws6store helped me find that problem. So be aware that you need to use the lower profile bolts or it will hit the bottom of the intake keeping it from seating.

Now for the info everyone has been waiting for. This was posted on Facebook. A guy did back to back Dyno testing of the most powerful factory cathedral port intake (trailblazer ss) you can get vs the dorman ls2. Amazingly the power curves were identical. The engine was retuned for both manifolds. And I seriously doubt the dorman was even cleaned up which I guarantee it worth several hp. This was a 5.3 with a cam. Enjoy....

Here’s the video link if you guys can pull it up.

Facebook Post

Last edited by Kfxguy; 12-16-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whoa! Thank you! The Dorman LS2 within a 2-3HP ALL THE WAY thru the curve(s). Same for torque! Dorman did their homework on this one, OR got REALLY lucky!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

^ depends on which revision lol
We have been following that testing also.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder who did the test. I see a "posted by Richard" on the video screen. Richard Holdener??
Old 12-16-2017, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yes. Richard Holdener.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if it's all for a magazine article. Super Chevy, Car Craft, Hot Rod?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It's a test on his fb page for his series.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
It's a test on his fb page for his series.

So I have been following this page and have been impressed with it, despite the need to port the runners. Just curious, whats the price of a DLS2 with the Sniper TB at WS6 store? I don't see the intake on your website.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts

Btw guys, my buddy messaged the guy and he said he’s going to test a fast intake back to back with the dorman. I wish they would do that and then do a mild clean up job on the dorman and then retest it on the same day. That would be pretty interesting. I’ve been contemplating swapping intakes for a fast but I’m not so sure I should even waste my money on it. Especially knowing I have to buy fuel rails too. My car runs exceptionally well for what I’ve got done to it and I feel like the intake has added a good bit to it.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Btw guys, my buddy messaged the guy and he said he’s going to test a fast intake back to back with the dorman. I wish they would do that and then do a mild clean up job on the dorman and then retest it on the same day. That would be pretty interesting. I’ve been contemplating swapping intakes for a fast but I’m not so sure I should even waste my money on it. Especially knowing I have to buy fuel rails too. My car runs exceptionally well for what I’ve got done to it and I feel like the intake has added a good bit to it.
And was this just a regular untouched Dorman ls2 or did it have any porting done to it?

Quick Reply: Dorman ls2 intake?