Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
He announced earlier in the thread that they will be offering a 50 state legal version in a few months. So if you can wait a little longer, they should have a nice plug and play setup...

That being said, I don't see why somebody couldn't just weld a cat onto this setup... But if you're in a state that does visual inspections, it's probably safer to just wait.
not exactly, it says it is a catback that attaches to the stock cats. meaning no headers. I want these midlength headers with a provision to install cats but I guess that would kill the ground clearance.

Dale
Old 07-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Teching In

will these work with a tunnel mount torque arm. What about the rear O2 sensor

Dale
Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
I understand but if I'm already 2/3 there, I might as well spend the extra IMO. Buy once, cry once. I'm not trying to bash Hooker, I think this is a nice setup, and I still might go for it especially around the holidays. I just think the initial price is a little on the high side.
The extra $1,200 to $1,400 is yours to spend as you wish, so if it makes sense to you I certainly can't fault you for it.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1evilz28
will these work with a tunnel mount torque arm. What about the rear O2 sensor

Dale
The exhaust was designed for compatibility with the stock torque arm; compatibility with any other type of aftermarket torque arm is unknown. There is no provision for the rear O2 sensors, so you will have to turn them off in the ECU tune.

Originally Posted by 1evilz28
not exactly, it says it is a catback that attaches to the stock cats. meaning no headers. I want these midlength headers with a provision to install cats but I guess that would kill the ground clearance.

Dale
The headers and the exhaust system were both designed for off-road/race use only, so no provision for cats was provided for. I know there is room available where you could put two bullet cats, but I think it would be a waste of time considering the installation still wouldn't be street legal.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found about this system after purchasing Hooker 1-7/8" long tube stainless headers, ceramic coating them and installing them with my new LS3 and T56 Magnum. Just need a drive shaft, exhaust, and to wire up the Dominator ECU. I was thinking about trying it and adapting it to these headers as they are nice and tight to the car. Plus, this looks great at an awesome price with ground clearance like I want. Problem is Kooks 3" is good for 1200HP and this is only good to 475HP? Doesn't add up in my mind. I would think this system would support more like 600HP. Then it would only be a little small for my motor, but at 620 to 650 HP it's off a lot.

What is your opinion I would need to best run my motor? It will make at least 620HP up to 650HP if it revs to 7500 like I plan. Should I have dual 2.75" system for best performance? I'd rather not have to build a full custom system because it will cost more than this and take a ton of time compared to bolting one up.

Oh, and I found it on Texas Speed site not on Holley site which I'v been on every week for the last 8 months looking at exhaust. I'd recommend having this show up in both the Black Heart section and the normal of your site since when you go to that part it looks like it only covers 5th Gen cars. This is going to make a lot of people miss it like I did.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Found about this system after purchasing Hooker 1-7/8" long tube stainless headers, ceramic coating them and installing them with my new LS3 and T56 Magnum. Just need a drive shaft, exhaust, and to wire up the Dominator ECU. I was thinking about trying it and adapting it to these headers as they are nice and tight to the car. Plus, this looks great at an awesome price with ground clearance like I want. Problem is Kooks 3" is good for 1200HP and this is only good to 475HP? Doesn't add up in my mind. I would think this system would support more like 600HP. Then it would only be a little small for my motor, but at 620 to 650 HP it's off a lot.

What is your opinion I would need to best run my motor? It will make at least 620HP up to 650HP if it revs to 7500 like I plan. Should I have dual 2.75" system for best performance? I'd rather not have to build a full custom system because it will cost more than this and take a ton of time compared to bolting one up.

Oh, and I found it on Texas Speed site not on Holley site which I'v been on every week for the last 8 months looking at exhaust. I'd recommend having this show up in both the Black Heart section and the normal of your site since when you go to that part it looks like it only covers 5th Gen cars. This is going to make a lot of people miss it like I did.
At that power level you will be leaving a lot of power on the table with a 2.5" exhaust system. You could reasonably run a 2.5" exhaust system on a car up to 500HP, but we rate it conservatively at 475HP as to be as helpful as possible to users making a purchasing decision based on that information. Contrary to what is advertised about the competitive product you gave reference to, a dual 3" system will provide enough mass flow potential for around 700-750HP...1200HP sounds good but is quite an overstatement. Running a dual 3" system on a 1200HP car will also leave a ton of HP on the table.

The Blackheart product line is continuously expanding to included new applications such as this one, so in a short amount of time it will begin to be inclusive of applications other than for purely late model vehicles.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, funny you should say that as that means their claimed power support and price are both the same, too high.

How about I finish this up by September and put on a home made before axle dump. Then I can drive it up there for you guys to make your dual 3" system with my car? Took 13 hours last time, so I can drive it straight through.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Well, funny you should say that as that means their claimed power support and price are both the same, too high.

How about I finish this up by September and put on a home made before axle dump. Then I can drive it up there for you guys to make your dual 3" system with my car? Took 13 hours last time, so I can drive it straight through.
13 hours straight through...you are a madman. Not being able to find a car for prototyping isn't the reason we didn't develop a 3" system this time around. That was actually our initial intention when we brought the development car in and installed the Kooks system on it to evaluate it's fitment. I liked the fact that it was a true 3" system for flow potential, but there were too many compromises in its design to make us want to produce something that emulated it. The major drawbacks observed were the diminished ground clearance, the requirement to remove the fuel tank heat shields, the requirement to install aftermarket suspension components and finally the price. There are also many reports on this site about that system being extremely loud inside and outside the car, which can be another negative trait to associate with its use if a user is trying to avoid that issue. We may revisit the application in the future to come out with a 3" system of our own, but it won't happen until we can better address some of the fitment constraints that are imposed by the design of these cars.

Last edited by Toddoky; 07-03-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Toddoky,

Are you able to give the weight of the complete system? This may be of interest for a street \ strip car where weight is a overall concern.

Also are these in stock at vendors or do they have a large lead time? Jegs is stating 7/20 before available. I have seen where they post a date, but it just keeps getting pushed out farther.

Thanks,
Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Toddoky... What did you guys do with the Kooks system you bought to test?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Toddoky... What did you guys do with the Kooks system you bought to test?
We sold it on ebay
Old 07-03-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im curious who your target buyers are? With no long tube option, judging by most of the comments here, that rules out most looking to make big numbers. Most guys willing to risk running off road stuff on the street are doing to so make as much power as possible. That leaves the street guys, and with no cat or rear o2 options, that leaves out most of them too.

My point is, I'm worried that your marketing team is setting you up for failure. This exhaust, while awesome, is only going to appeal to a VERY limited market in its current configuration and if this doesn't sell well, my concern is that there wont be any future development for the fbody platform due to lack of profitability, and that would suck for all of us.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
Im curious who your target buyers are? With no long tube option, judging by most of the comments here, that rules out most looking to make big numbers. Most guys willing to risk running off road stuff on the street are doing to so make as much power as possible. That leaves the street guys, and with no cat or rear o2 options, that leaves out most of them too.

My point is, I'm worried that your marketing team is setting you up for failure. This exhaust, while awesome, is only going to appeal to a VERY limited market in its current configuration and if this doesn't sell well, my concern is that there wont be any future development for the fbody platform due to lack of profitability, and that would suck for all of us.
Hello Rob. The intended user is one who would be judging the system on its overall characteristics and not just be focused on the mid-length aspect of the headers by themselves. A decent set of long-tubes exhausting through a common Y-pipe/ single tailpipe exhaust will have no performance advantage over this set-up. If guys really want to run the exhaust system with a set of long-tubes then it can be done through simple mods to the inlet pipes...guys have been adapting various long-tubes to Y-pipes and building custom exhaust systems on these cars just like any others for years, so there's no doubt in my mind it will happen. You'd probably be surprised how many PM's I've received on this system asking when they will be shipping and the guys in Holley tech service have been fielding similar calls. The market is not comprised solely of "must have long tubes or nothing" guys as everyone does not share the same goals and vehicle usage. Hooker sells LS cast iron manifolds and mid-length headers for many applications in quantities that would raise your eyebrows, so while we may add a set of long tubes to this application in the future due to demand, the decision to develop and release a set of mid-lengths with the level of build detail these headers have is a sound one. I'm paying attention to the feedback being given here and will share all of it with Holley management during the next product brainstorming session. If I have my way we will add long-tubes to this application, but it's not something you'll see come out before the end of the year as the devopment scheduled is full of pre-scheduled projects that have to be completed before any additional projects can be started.

Last edited by Toddoky; 07-03-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Waking up and leaving in the morning was no issue, but driving back the same day of the Teir 3 EFI class was brutal. We left early around 1:30pm, but still. I'd never do that again, 13 hour drive has to start after full night of sleep.

Well, if you end up needing a car making some power to make it on when you do it then I'm game. I will have to do something else for now. This thing has been delayed way to long already and will be smoking tires this year. I'll have to try and make one of the next few LS fests with it.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

well, at least you are now considering a long tube version. that is some progress at least >_>
Old 07-04-2015, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
well, at least you are now considering a long tube version. that is some progress at least >_>
I've been receptive to the possibility since the second mention of it, but I don't make the new exhaust product decisions at Holley; that job goes to others that are at a higher pay grade than myself. If it my decision to make I'd put it on the schedule.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust Coming Soon

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I've been receptive to the possibility since the second mention of it, but I don't make the new exhaust product decisions at Holley; that job goes to others that are at a higher pay grade than myself. If it my decision to make I'd put it on the schedule.
Just out of curiosity, do "those guys" ever log in here and look? Do they see the demand, or strictly go off word of mouth from others?

I'm strictly curious.

I've always found it cute how everyone rushes to market "warranty voidable" parts to the 10-15% of people that bought a new vehicle and don't care, and the 3-5% that actually paid their vehicle cash...

Give the public what they demand
Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Just out of curiosity, do "those guys" ever log in here and look? Do they see the demand, or strictly go off word of mouth from others?

I'm strictly curious.

I've always found it cute how everyone rushes to market "warranty voidable" parts to the 10-15% of people that bought a new vehicle and don't care, and the 3-5% that actually paid their vehicle cash...

Give the public what they demand
I know some others from Holley do check in here from time to time, but I am by far the most active person here and on other forums.

Those responsible for such decisions at Holley are an objective group overall, so it only matters that they get the info, not that it's delivered directly or indirectly. I usually will send links to various threads like this if that level of connection is warranted.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Hooker 4th-gen Dyno run and vids

I ran couple of dyno pulls on the development car this morning so you can get the gist of the power level the car is at running the full Hooker system and a K&N filter set-up; the engine is otherwise stock with 170K miles on it. The results have limited value as we were not able to baseline the car prior to removing the stock exhaust since it had mechanical issues that needed to be resolved.

The microphone on my camera sucks big-time, so the exhaust sound in the video is not as audible as it could be; I'm going to capture some better sound clips with a Go-Pro later today.

Last edited by Toddoky; 07-07-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Clean looking shop!

I imagine the dyno noise and the exhaust pumping into vents didn't help the sound any.

I'm dying to hear it idling on the road: with maybe a few pulls.

Did you tune the car at all? Or just install and go?

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust