Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting lost with swap, TBSS, truck coils and blue/green harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting lost with swap, TBSS, truck coils and blue/green harness

So I purchased a 2001 Ls1 to drop into my 51 chevy truck. I was given a lot of random components with the purchase of the engine and I'm trying to work with what I've got. Here's the list so far
It's on a stock cam with 241 heads.
I wont be installing EGR ,VATS or CATS

blue/Green engine harness
I purchased compatible pcm 896 i believe

truck coils on truck brackets (different connectors than what's on harness I've found)

I purchased a TBSS intake manifold, fuel rail with injectors and a 87mm TBSS throttle body

So my question is am I in over my head? Will these components work with the engine? I appreciate any help. Do you think if I just sent the harness in with pcm with my list of components i could get back a working solution?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, you are not over your head, I would call a wiring place that deals with what you are talking about and it will probably end your concern.
I think these people are vendors here. https://www.psiconversion.com/contact/
Old 04-06-2016, 12:26 AM
Teching In

ok that's encouragement in the right direction. I appreciate the link. I'll see what I can find there. Next bit of confusion is whether or not the TBSS intake manifold will fit on my 241 heads. I see the cathedral style ports on my heads but most intake manifolds seem to have rectangular ports. Do these work together? I sold an Ls6 intake manifold and still have a new set of gaskets for it and they're definitely a different shape than the ports on my heads. Whats the deal?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertHawk
ok that's encouragement in the right direction. I appreciate the link. I'll see what I can find there. Next bit of confusion is whether or not the TBSS intake manifold will fit on my 241 heads. I see the cathedral style ports on my heads but most intake manifolds seem to have rectangular ports. Do these work together? I sold an Ls6 intake manifold and still have a new set of gaskets for it and they're definitely a different shape than the ports on my heads. Whats the deal?
OK are sure that you have a TBSS intake what part # is it ? Are going to run dbw , what harness do you have LS1 f body ?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I'll have to grab the part number at home but it's the circle throttle body opening. I just got it from a member here on the board. The harness appears to be drive by wire blue/green connectors that's all I know about the harness. I don't know how to differentiate them
Old 04-08-2016, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go drive by wire, you'll need the correct matching pedal & TAC module to go with the blue/green ecm. If cable, you do not need either. I think that ecm can run a cable throttle body. I believe all TBSS were drive by wire. I'll PM you the contact info for a company that does wiring for all my swaps. Scott
Old 04-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Awesome thank you guys for the help this is encouraging
Old 04-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Part number on the manifold is 28250764

Last edited by DesertHawk; 04-08-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK just wanted to make sure you had the right intake. Like it was said before in order to go dbw you will need matching TAC module , pedal and ecm. Here is another option if want to go dbc, if like to go cable , just get a harness ecm from 2003 - 07 Express van or Savanna van. The great thing about these Van harness, they are longer which allows you the ability to locate the ecm any where you want even inside the cab if like. This is something to consider, it can be a hassle locating all the dbw parts piece by piece , just make sure everything matches if you decide to go dbw , get it from the same truck.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Oh whoops. So buying an ecu off the boards by itself was a mistake? Any way to figure out what car it came from so I can get a matching dbw pedal?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh whoops. So buying an ecu off the boards by itself was a mistake? Any way to figure out what car it came from so I can get a matching dbw pedal?
First you need to decide if want to go dbw or cable. If you have a 4896 ecm that is 99- 00 can be used on 01-02 also . Which have a red / blue harness connectors. The green / blue you have is 2003- 07 and will run a dbw .
Old 04-29-2016, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious which way you went did get another harness. Please update !
Old 04-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Well I ended up getting that ecu for this harness and I installed the tbss intake manifold. So my next big step will be to send out the harness and have it made to work with the setup. I'm guessing they'll have to change injector connectors and maybe some more. Probably going to go with dbc
Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK. If your going go cable I would have just gone with the Van harness I sugggested before and just repin it your self.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I already had the harness I had mentioned I didn't want to go buy another one. Do you think I should sell my harness then?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I already had the harness I had mentioned I didn't want to go buy another one. Do you think I should sell my harness then?
Yes I would sell your harness , and get one that is dbc repin and clean it up yourself ! What tb where you planing going with.

Quick Reply: Getting lost with swap, TBSS, truck coils and blue/green harness