Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah,The car is stock other then headers/duals
Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
yeah,The car is stock other then headers/duals
did you felt any power loss? some people says its over kill to run 3in true duals in a stock ls1
Old 02-08-2017, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikegto417
did you felt any power loss? some people says its over kill to run 3in true duals in a stock ls1
Myth.....I put Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Kooks TD exhaust on a stock internal LS1 and it went 2mph faster then Hooker 1 3/4 headers and a catback.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Myth.....I put Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Kooks TD exhaust on a stock internal LS1 and it went 2mph faster then Hooker 1 3/4 headers and a catback.
do you think speed engineering true duals work with hooker headers?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone have this setup with CATS yep? Pictures or sounds clips?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikegto417
Yes I do. I have been tuning motorcycle for yrs(before dyno,just by feel) and have become kinda senitive to how they feel<--yeah I know it sound weird but you had to with motorcycle. I fell like it lost some torque in the mid range. it just feels week. It might be like that because of the bigger pipes. I went from one 3' to two 3" pipes so. I tried to tinker with it by the diablo tuner I have but I don't have a clue what I'm doing with software tunes.
It get up to 6k fast so you can just run through it but this is a DD/weekend car.
I have to quit it down a lot before I'll have it professionally tuned
Old 02-09-2017, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I do. I have been tuning motorcycle for yrs(before dyno,just by feel) and have become kinda senitive to how they feel<--yeah I know it sound weird but you had to with motorcycle. I fell like it lost some torque in the mid range. it just feels week. It might be like that because of the bigger pipes. I went from one 3' to two 3" pipes so. I tried to tinker with it by the diablo tuner I have but I don't have a clue what I'm doing with software tunes.
It get up to 6k fast so you can just run through it but this is a DD/weekend car.
I have to quit it down a lot before I'll have it professionally tuned
I bet if you were to dyno it compared to previous setup you would not be down on torque anywhere. What you are probably feeling is the throttle response is not as snappy but that doesnt mean less torque
Old 02-09-2017, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 550 Likes on 426 Posts

2ToeRacing, I agree this is way too loud, it sounds wicked, but way too loud at some rmps to try and hold a conversation with the person in the seat next to you. Don’t get me wrong this is a quality exhaust system just too loud for my taste. But at $500 changing the mufflers is still way cheaper than Kooks at $1800 and a few months waiting on it. Once you get it quieted down a please let everyone know what you used.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Teching In

I wonder if this system i alot louder than a loud mouth 1 cat back
Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been a while since I checked the thread. I torched a block and head on my way home from the muffler shop. Here's my thoughts for the 30 minutes I got to enjoy it. Keep in mind, I'm twin turbo.
Normal cruising there's really no drone. It's a very respectable note to listen to. WOT it's loud as ****. Normal cruising won't **** people off. It has a little bit of rasp when you throw a revv but it's not like my last true dual system, it was awful. There needs to be more up and down adjustment on the tail pipes. I have the mwc body mount torque arm and sliding it through that wedges it up against the floor. Wrap the pipe with exhaust wrap. It's wedged so tight though it won't rattle.
I really like this exhaust system. Totally worth the $500
Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Full-force,you might be right,I'm just going by the seat of the pants. I wish I could throw it on the dyno. Motorcycles were a lot easyer to have dynoed.
Anyway I ordered the SE Y-pipe to go back to the borla exhaust I had. It only 130 bucks to my door so that will quiet it down until I figure out a solution. I have no problems laying on the ground to RnR the pipes so,its still fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Full-force,you might be right,I'm just going by the seat of the pants. I wish I could throw it on the dyno. Motorcycles were a lot easyer to have dynoed.
Anyway I ordered the SE Y-pipe to go back to the borla exhaust I had. It only 130 bucks to my door so that will quiet it down until I figure out a solution. I have no problems laying on the ground to RnR the pipes so,its still fun.
I'm not knocking this system at all but if you add an electric cutout in your Borla, you may not consider going back to this true duals. I'm sure this makes more power after other mods such as Cam, and bolt ons, but the convenience of quiet at flip of a switch is worth tons to me.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm interested to hear a comparison between this and the kooks setup. I believe while also being smaller, the hooker duals are designed to be quieter. Would all of the people in here who think it's too loud also find the kooks too loud?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have Kooks catted and it seems to be more tame than offroad TDs. But its extremely subjective, I'm relatively young and prefer "loud" and I'm also stock internals. I imagine when I go H/C it will even get louder but I'm hoping its still livable since my TDs have cats.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codyvette
I'm not knocking this system at all but if you add an electric cutout in your Borla, you may not consider going back to this true duals. I'm sure this makes more power after other mods such as Cam, and bolt ons, but the convenience of quiet at flip of a switch is worth tons to me.
The car came with the borla and a cut out. The TD's are louder then with the cut out open<<(its load TO ME). Don't get me wrong I do like the loudness it;s fun for sure,but it just isn't practical and it draws a lot of some times unwanted attention.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have plans on doing heads/cam down the road. Like I said this is a lot of fun for me so.....buying stuff and figuring things out is on my to do list. I did the same thing for 30yrs with motorcycles. I sold all my bikes and all my parts last year. This camaro is the replacement hobby for the motorcycles.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you keep your foot out of it you won't draw unwanted attention. Cruising is not bad, it's when you mash your pedal to the floor board when it screams. Not only that but if it's too damn loud for you, change the mufflers. That simple.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I will say Cold starts are loud like in my video, but after warm up its not loud at all I need to get a video of that. To they guy said they have rasp? I don't hear any rasp in my system.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
If you keep your foot out of it you won't draw unwanted attention. Cruising is not bad, it's when you mash your pedal to the floor board when it screams. Not only that but if it's too damn loud for you, change the mufflers. That simple.
Maybe, but not a whole lot of room to do so. Really limited size wise.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am picking up a 2002 WS6 Thursday. I ordered the Speed Engineering 1-7/8 long tube headers, the true dual kit out the back, the panhard bar & relocating kit, and a set of lowering springs. I will post pics and a video once I get everything done. This will be my 4th WS6 in the past 10 years. Looking forward to another toy. Currently, this car is 100% stock. So, I have a lot of work to do....

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!