Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recently inherited a 2001 camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently inherited a 2001 camaro ss

Well this is my first post so this is always awk lol. Just this January I inherited a 2001 camaro ss after my cousin passed away. He had big dreams for the car and I've been handed the reins. It has a lot of work done to it already but would like to do more. But, right now I'm having one issue. The maf sensor. I have a low voltage code for it, and I'm stuck between finding a new pigtail or just rewiring it from the computer. Any thoughts? The maf is brand new btw
Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

First you need to understand how to check for the five volt reference and return. It may not be the harness. It could be the ECM. If it does prove to be too much hassle, you could have it speed density tuned and for get the MAF.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by codyvette
First you need to understand how to check for the five volt reference and return. It may not be the harness. It could be the ECM. If it does prove to be too much hassle, you could have it speed density tuned and for get the MAF.
thats what I was telling him, wouldn't running the speed density be beneficial if it was being turboed also?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by boostedbuckets402
thats what I was telling him, wouldn't running the speed density be beneficial if it was being turboed also?
But how would I even go about doing that? Lol
Old 03-09-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I would run speed density no matter what the mod levels are. But in your case, simply unplugging it will default it to speed density (if it isn't already). You'll still throw a code for it until its properly removed in the tune. What all is done to the car?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Long tube headers, slp intake and exhaust as well as subframe connectors, it's cammed but haven't found out which cam it is. It was fully rebuilt. And I have a vortech supercharger kit for it in the garage but I'm thinking about going turbo instead. Its also on adjustable coilovers but I haven't figured out if the adjustments are for height or stiffness. I also don't know if the tranny is stock but idk how I'd really find that out
Old 03-09-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

So you are saying that if you unplug the MAF the computer defaults to SD?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Yeah I think so. It will just keep throwing the code until you have it deleted within the tune I believe.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
So you are saying that if you unplug the MAF the computer defaults to SD?
Yes, it is as simple as unplugging the MAF.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Yup. I have ran mine like that for like 5 years because the fuse for my MAF kept blowing. I actually don't notice a difference driving my car like that so I never bothered to fix it. My old daily driven truck ran fine in speed density also in temps from below zero actual temps to over 100F in the summer. Make sure your tune is good and have at it.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Oil

also there is an oil leak somewhere. And when I say leak it leaks like a siv. I think it happens after bottoming out but I couldn't see any cracks in the pan. Then again you can only see part of the pan. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Recently inherited a 2001 camaro ss