Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition coil testing, brands and is it a knock-off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Ignition coil testing, brands and is it a knock-off?

Hi OnFire, a good test method would be to use a Volt Meter (Harbor Freight@$12.00)

Connect to the Battery 12v+ supply at the coil AND Chassis Ground.
The VOM leeds may need to be long as the meter would need to be read, maybe "taped" the the windshield ?

The next step is to do a WOT/Max RPM run viewing the meter voltage report.

Compare the car voltmeter voltage to the coil VOM, the same voltage SHOULD be observed.

Lanc e
Old 03-29-2018, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Facebook Post
Old 04-03-2018, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Default Shane T = Motec

Hi ALL, Shane is the #1 Motec Tuner with "tech" EVEN taught to Richard, the owner of Motec.
Shane is a 2nd generation wizard, his father manufactured test equipment for WorldPac.

He has visited my shop to buy the IGN-1A coils.

Shane is a person who like to help others, just ask for Motec/IGN-1A tech.

Lance
Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

When he says the person bought a spurious IGN coil...a copy.

As there arent really any markings, how do you know if one is a copy ? I mentioned on the FB post that I've seen sellers selling the Mercury marine coils, but pictures show obvious differences, one being the colour of the metal terminal/post for the ignition lead

Are all the coils the same ?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

just throwing this out there since you never know....is a coil a coil a coil ?

the accel truck coils looked the same ( except for color of course ...you like yellow ? )

SOS truck coils ....look the same except promise increased output

even saw truck coils on jegs ....39.99. ( china clones ? )

is anything really better than the standard GM truck coil ?

Lance....if you could do testing for us it would be nice....
Old 04-06-2018, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

Is a wheel, a wheel, a wheel...

Is a car, a car, a car ?

Is a ( fill in any product ) ?

And do you even need to ask about the the potential quality of Chinese parts ?

This doesnt need testing.

And of course there are better than the GM coils.....whether or not they will benefit you is another matter.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

i guess the more direct question is....are all those other coils china crap.....or rebranded GM and touted as better than GM ?

and how can you identify a china coil ???
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Default Counterfit IGN-1A Coils = FOUND

Hi Steve, the IGN-1A coil IS MARKED AND has a "batch" number.
The COUNTERFEIT not sure of ALL, though the one I tested was BLANK AND had Black Potting.
I tested this "counterfeit" in MY CO-2 chamber about a year AGO for Heath at SAKE BOMB finding POOR Output, miss-fire, etc.
THIS TOO is Shane's report/problem with his Motec customers, counterfeit coils.
THIS TOO is the REASON Shane created the "vid"

THE FBI WILL PROSECUTE this crime as the LOSS is OVER 100K dollars.

I ASK for pictures of the Black Potted IGN-1A coil with "scribed" numbers.

I HAVE the ABILITY to TEST any coil with several methods, CO-2, SAE, etc. AND will do so if asked.

Lance
Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can a coil have low output? My motor blows out black smoke when I nail it if I am sitting at a stop sign, within a few seconds the smoke disappears and I am motoring down the road. It doesn't do it at idle, just at WOT and only few a few seconds, like the motor is being flooded with fuel. But here's a kicker, the motor seems to shut off at the 1-2 shift, then shifts and pulls. Like it is starving for fuel. Almost like you turned the motor off and then turned it on again.
Also, my motor didn't make the RWHP we were expecting, somewhere in the 420-440 as we calculated the brand dyno, the vehicle on it and the motor build. It only made 368 on a dyno, well below anticipated output. As we thought about this we wondered if there was a dead cylinder, could a bad coil(s) be a possibility?

Chad

Last edited by ss4chad; 04-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Default RICH Miss-Fire = Low Power

Hi Chad, sure as a coils output is based on Coil Temperature.

MY GUESS, Your Case, is TOO MUCH fuel (ACCEL Enrichment) causing a Rich Miss-Fire.

A simple test for coil operational quality is to measure the exhaust pipe temperature, near the head, using an IR Pyro. (Harbor Freight Item)

Lance
Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Lance! Should I read that temp at idle or perhaps a specific RPM range? Should the engine be warmed up at normal operating temp or a cold engine?

The condition I spoke of when the truck shuts off at the 1-2 shift for about a second and then restarts and shifts is a too rich condition? It acts like it is starving for fuel during that shift point.

I am not a tuner so please bear with me if I ask dumb questions. Could it be that the PCM is calling for too much fuel at part throttle and not calling for enough at WOT? I have 52lbs of fuel pressure from my Walbro pump to the fuel rails and then to the FPR with a return line to the tank.

I had this same problem/condition with another motor. Stock bottom end, heads and small cam with a tune. It blew the black smoke, it died at the 1-2 shift. So I built a 383 with a stroke crank and bigger cam with the factory intake rails and injectors and it still did it. I changed the intake to a Vic Jr, added bigger injectors, bigger cam, bigger fuel pump, bigger rails, FPR and tune. Condition is still the same.

I have had a catch can during all of this too. Is it a tuning issue? What could I tell my tuner to look at?

Chad
Old 04-10-2018, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Default Fuel Pressure Gauge

Hi CHAD, you are NOT a DUMB person, those who DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS !

Sure "stupid" = OK as one who asks many questions, thus a SMART person as your self.

The Pryo test is done at Normal temp, stable engine speed/RPM.

There is another method, to read Fuel Pressure when this problem occurs.

Lance
Old 04-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss4chad
Can a coil have low output? My motor blows out black smoke when I nail it if I am sitting at a stop sign, within a few seconds the smoke disappears and I am motoring down the road. It doesn't do it at idle, just at WOT and only few a few seconds, like the motor is being flooded with fuel. But here's a kicker, the motor seems to shut off at the 1-2 shift, then shifts and pulls. Like it is starving for fuel. Almost like you turned the motor off and then turned it on again.
Also, my motor didn't make the RWHP we were expecting, somewhere in the 420-440 as we calculated the brand dyno, the vehicle on it and the motor build. It only made 368 on a dyno, well below anticipated output. As we thought about this we wondered if there was a dead cylinder, could a bad coil(s) be a possibility?

Chad
I would just like to offer my two cents if I'm wrong Let me have it.....GM
could you test a miss fire or bad coil by using a OBD2 dongle or scanner that give you real time DATA (live sensor data)?
I have a Cen-Tech OBD2 scanner that shows Air fuel mixture O2 count on 1& 2 Bank along with engine RPM engine temp with this I believe I can tell if a cylinder is misfiring just not which one unless I unplug coil one at a time when i find the effected coil the values on my scanner would not change as much as when i unplugged coil packs that are Firing properly
Old 04-24-2018, 12:31 PM
9 Second Club

Some ecu's/coils do have feedback for misfire detection, some use other means.

From a performance point of view, the likes of a cheap scantool is unlikely to be of much use though. Not sujre what the typical LS uses in terms of misfire detection though
Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I always assumed the misfire detection was off the crank angle sensor acceleration. Spark plug spark commanded, reluctor wheel shows momentary speed increase, no misfire. Spark commanded, reluctor wheel shows no or reduced speed increase vs expected, misfire.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

There are multiple means of misfire detection...as said, not sure exactly what GM might use here.

But some coils do offer feedback to the ecu to indicate that there was an issue with the spark it just fired....which the ecu will then recognise
Old 04-24-2018, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Scanner Danner on youtube does some great diagnostic videos, and one one of those he detailed it. Can't recall what video or vehicle though.

But you could view the outputs on a scope and monitor the feedback signal from the coil which would change voltage based on whether the coil had successfully fired or not.