Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with starter grind after start

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with starter grind after start

So I've got a 6.0 out of a van. Starter doesnt grind when it's trying to start but u get a small grind right as it starts up. Is this something I need to fix with shims or something else ? Thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2018, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like the starter isn't disengaging fast enough. Shims to move it back a little could help as long as it's still engaging well when you're starting. Too much shimming and you'll shear the ends of the teeth off the starter gear.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by RNation0001
So I've got a 6.0 out of a van. Starter doesnt grind when it's trying to start but u get a small grind right as it starts up. Is this something I need to fix with shims or something else ? Thanks in advance
Hard to tell over the internet. Shimming is usually about trying different ones, but with late model engines shimming is dead. Sounds like you have a funny starter or something isn't jiving.

Originally Posted by bammax
Sounds like the starter isn't disengaging fast enough. Shims to move it back a little could help as long as it's still engaging well when you're starting. Too much shimming and you'll shear the ends of the teeth off the starter gear.
Can't shim it to move it back on an GM style. On a ford you could. You can shim the gear mesh to where the teeth aren't as far into the flex plate but that's up and down not front to back.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Can't shim it to move it back on an GM style. On a ford you could. You can shim the gear mesh to where the teeth aren't as far into the flex plate but that's up and down not front to back.
Thanks for that correction. Last few starters I've dealt with have been on oldies. Haven't messed with one in a couple years thankfully lol
Old 06-07-2018, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just dealt with this actually my 00 camaro would grind after it started for a few minutes finally at the gas station it wouldn't start luckily i tapped it with a wrench to get it to start, or i could have rolled it off anyways i got it home pulled starter and the teeth were chewed up pretty bad and had alot of surface rust in it, i changed the starter and no problems since shims and rebuilds on the newer stuff is almost non existent NOT saying its not possible though, im saying a trip to the local junkyard would probably be cheaper and easier, as it seems your starter is not disengaging after startup.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Weird. I'm having the identical issue with a 6.0 and a brand new delco starter. To me, it seems like the starter isn't automatically disengaging once the engine starts. Like the computer isn't detecting rpms to let the starter know the engine is running and to disengage. I could be way off on that.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyCheese1
Weird. I'm having the identical issue with a 6.0 and a brand new delco starter. To me, it seems like the starter isn't automatically disengaging once the engine starts. Like the computer isn't detecting rpms to let the starter know the engine is running and to disengage. I could be way off on that.
Yes, you are way off the computer has nothing to do with the starter.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bendix is sticking, you might try and put some antiseize on the shaft and exercising it to make sure it slides free before you install it..
Old 06-29-2018, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Yes, you are way off the computer has nothing to do with the starter.
Actually on some newer vehicles the PCM senses rpm and will over ride what you do with the key. For example you can bump the key and the starter will turn over the motor until it fires even if it takes several seconds.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Actually on some newer vehicles the PCM senses rpm and will over ride what you do with the key. For example you can bump the key and the starter will turn over the motor until it fires even if it takes several seconds.
I love this about my truck.