Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd attempt at posting about needing help with Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2nd attempt at posting about needing help with Spark Plug Wires

I Posted this yesterday and it said it needed to be authorized by an admin and so far, nothing was ever done and the post never made it.
I am seeking some help with Spark Plug Wires.
I am concerned with performance as much as I am with Aesthetics. So I have been looking for the Taylor Spiro Pro Wires in Lime Green for an LS1-LS family of engines and they do not seem to make it in this particular color. I was wondering if anyone else had done a universal set either the 8 MM or 10.4 MM wire sets and cut them and crimped them by themselves or do you all just buy whatever is available over the counter and just deal with what you can get your hands on? I like the lime green as a contrast color. I am an airbrush artist as well as other things, and when I do a project, I worry about the aesthetics as much as I do the end results with performance.
So my main question is, Can a 10.4 MM Taylor wire set be used on an LS1/LS engine family? Or do the universal sets not come with the correct boot setups to complete this task?
I plan to do quite a bit of airbrushing on the underside of the hood and on various parts and pieces under the hood, fabricate or purchase covers for things, a strut tower brace and things are perfect candidates to airbrush artwork on prior to installing them. While I have an extensive history of doing corvettes and have a side business doing C3 and some C2 corvette restorations and part sales from parting out many C3 vettes, and have a few trans ams of various years, and other cars for sale for projects, or parts cars or restored cars (have 7 big block corvettes in line to be restored at the moment, 4 speeds, convertibles, automatics, T Top Coupes etc. with various options and such.
I just picked up this white WS6 with a 6 speed in white as a driver and wish to spruce it up a bit because most airbrush artists like myself usually can not keep their hands to themselves and will airbrush just about anything they can get their hands on.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all appreciate your time.

Jennifur
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Why not just paint or airbrush your color of choice on the plug wires? That way you get a quality wire with your color choice. Form should ALWAYS follow function.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not believe paint will stick to the silicone wires sheathing or outer sleeve in the environment it lives in with all the extreme temperature changes, from around 0 in the winter time at night to 220 or more degrees when running and with the exhaust header pipes right there about 1/2 inch away, I have a feeling that the paint and any sort of primer I might be able to get to stick which i dont think ti will, but if I did find a primer that would stick would crack from heat, cold and flexibility of the wires. Any sort of convoluted tubing would melt from the heat from the header pipes, So sadly I do not think that is an option.
Jennifur
Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I would worry more about functionality than appearances. The right colored wires aren't any good if they don't fire the plugs dependably.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

If you are concerned about aesthetics, then might I through a consideration into the mix? Why have the plug wires visible at all? I had zero interest in having ugly coil packs with plug wires coming out of them concealing my powder coated valve covers, so I did something about it. I talked to LeftySS and copied his idea, so I'm just passing the info along. Now some folks may be adverse to longer plug wires, but I haven't had a problem with mine yet.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...look-good.html

Burkhart or MWC front bumper brace $250
Michigan Motorsports Coil Pack Relocation Kit for LS1 LS6 LSX Stainless Steel Brackets and Harness $112.00
Jaz Products 602-025-01 Black Radiator Recovery Tank $31.22
MSD 25 ft spark wire 34019 $52.17
MSD 45 deg boots 3304 $9.59
MSD 90 deg boots 8850 $21.33
MSD STRIPPER-CRIMPER MINI 3503 $8.69
Spark plug heat guards 40300 $42.99

The reason for the front bumper brace is so that you can mount the Jaz coolant overflow tank to it as the stock overflow tank needs to be removed to perform this mod since it is in the way of where the coil packs will mount on the passenger side frame rail.

More info on this mod here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tion-kits.html

But to answer your question, you can certainly make the plug wires any length you want using products from MSD.

Wouldn't it be something to run 8 second pass in a car that you drove to the track, then enter the car into the car show at the track event right after the pass and win best in show? I guess with enough $$ and seat time, anything is possible. I'm still trying to figure the 8 second pass thing out first....

Old 04-24-2019, 04:07 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Here’s an option Jenn...lime green heat shrink. Hopefully I don’t get in trouble for the eBay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Shrink...-/263585291764
Old 04-24-2019, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I don't know of any quality wires that come in funky colors (funky as in outside of standard red or black). I believe you can get Accel in yellow though if you can do yellow.

My best recommendation is to get some neon green tech flex and put that on the wire

https://www.techflex.com/general-pur...part=PTN0.50NG

It's easy to put on and is high quality stuff. You push it together like a chinese finger trap to expand it then release it and it goes down in size. Should be real easy to make it work on a set of wires.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't see why not. The spark plug end is already on there, and can't be changed. Doesn't need to be, either. The question is, will the coil fit? I don't see why not. It's kind of a standard connection. Most ends of that type I have seen are 90*, though.

I would call Taylor and ask them. Many times manufacturers don't put every little part they make on their web site.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

get ya some granettellis ( wires ) and cover them with the sheath color of your choice .....i dont use anything but granettelli wires for a reason ....damm good wires
Old 05-24-2019, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
get ya some granettellis ( wires ) and cover them with the sheath color of your choice .....i dont use anything but granettelli wires for a reason ....damm good wires
Hopefully it's not the same Granatelli that was ripping off other people's designs for suspension components back in the day and making them with cheaper materials that got banned off corral? If so maybe he's learned from his bad ways and now makes quality products.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...lug-wires.html

https://forums.corral.net/forums/roa...torsports.html
Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

is it ? did not know he did suspension too.....to me its a soild core wire with a silicone cover and lifetime warranty ..i know he does make claims for his wires but that was not my selling point...my MSD wires that failed were NOT lifetime warranty
Old 05-24-2019, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Lime green! Whats the matter with you lad, put black wires on the car. And if you can't see them, then use red or blue.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh forgot....you can get the granettellis in lime green......
Old 05-28-2019, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rednari2
Lime green! Whats the matter with you lad, put black wires on the car. And if you can't see them, then use red or blue.
Jennifur ain't a lad....
Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Forget the Granatelli's, go on eBay and get a set of plug wire sleeves in whatever color you want. Some strategic installation and/or customization (like cutting and sewing) and you can have REUSABLE lime green covers.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Every Taylor wire I ever tried to remove from someones car broke the lead in the boot. Grannatelli makes oustanding wires for an oustanding price.

If you want lime green or some other kind of funky color you can paint the wires with plasti-dip. That stuff is flexible and should hold on and not crack when the wires are bent.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:19 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have first hand experience with them, but I would avoid Taylor wires just based upon lots of stuff I've read.

I made my own wires uses MSD components. For all I know, MSD stuff may be no better than Taylor, but it seemed to have a much better reputation when I was I shopping for wires.

Does Granatelli sell bulk wire, boots etc.?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I put the Granitelli's wires in the same league as Taylors.....
Old 06-05-2019, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I put the Granitelli's wires in the same league as Taylors.....
Hardly, the sets are waranteed for life.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by rednari2
Hardly, the sets are waranteed for life.
yeah. so are AutoZone brake pads.......
The following users liked this post:
Fah Cue (11-24-2019)

Quick Reply: 2nd attempt at posting about needing help with Spark Plug Wires