Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent ABS INOP light... help!

Old 07-22-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Intermittent ABS INOP light... help!

I posted this in Handling and Braking as well, but that forum gets little traffic and I figured I might get more help here. Mods, if this is unacceptable feel free to delete.

This started happening for absolutely no reason about a week ago. My ABS INOP light will come on and stay on, sometimes for the day, sometimes for a short period of time. Then it'll be off for a while, then right back to being on.

Fluid levels are fine. Fuses are fine. No TCS, plug on the pumpkin is intact. I've had an SLP line lock installed for months now, no problems from it when originally installed so I don't see it causing a problem now. Bad wheel sensor, maybe? I would think that this would cause the light to stay on, not randomly turn off. Perhaps a short somewhere?

Any/all help appreciated.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check your third brake light. my old LT1 camaro threw the light cause one of the bulbs wasnt functioning right.i had to take it to a shop and they said GM wired everything in series. It wasnt even throwing any codes and they just got lucky that they found the problem cause they were scratching there heads for a while. Probably not it but worth it to check.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has done that to me a couple times in the past 3 years. Just did it the other day too. Stayed on for 10 min or so and went off next time I started the car. Weird. Wish I could tell you why though.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get under there and check the wheel
reluctor sensor connections and/or the one on
the pumpkin (for non-TCS cars); unplug and
reseat them all, look for anything loose, etc.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

help.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would check to see if your battery is low, or the alternator is charging properly. This happened to me last week b/c my pullies aren't fully charging when I am at idle, and the battery was a little low. I have to check and see if the alternator is going south on me. Good Luck.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

TTT. Nothing here has worked. Any more ideas?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, its your abs module, this is similar problems i have seen on other cars with intermitant ABS codes.. sounds like you need a ABS module.. im almost 110% sure.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

I think this is a fairly common GM problem. I've had it happen to me but I did nothing about it. My buddy had it happen almost everyday (in a Tahoe); it was a bad sensor at one of the wheels.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, wheel speed sensors.. yeh they do go bad.. but usally they wont work again after stopping, they usally throw permanent faults, atleast thats all of the ones i have encounterd
Old 07-25-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

What would be the best way to get a definitive diagnosis? If it's a sensor or the actual module, certainly there's a way to tell for sure before spending the money to replace it, right?
Old 07-25-2004, 09:55 PM
wrencher

The best thing you can do is get the trouble code from the ABS controller. If it turned the light on it likely set a code, & that will tell you what direction to head in. The wheel speed sensors are common to be a problem like said.
Reading out the codes would simplify this alot. You can test the W/S/S with an ohm meter & make sure they are all close to each other resistance wise, from there we're all guessing.

Search this Thread