Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter failure after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter failure after warmed up

I have just completed replacing my PSI wiring harness with the same new harness. I'm down to two issues, one is urgent.
My 99 ls-1 5.7 will start and run with no error coded, minus a fan relay code.
I can get the car up to 199 degrees, when the fans kick on, and then off at 190 Degrees. My problem is when I shut off the car, it will not immediately restart. After it sit a few minutes, it will restart. Ive replaced the mini starter, with no help, wrapped the starter in insulating blanket, with no help. .
any sensors that could cause this issue?
Can someone point me in the correct direction. Power tour is coming soon, and I have my tickets.

Old 04-03-2024, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

In exactly what way does it "not immediately restart"? No-crank? Slow crank? Crank but not run?
Old 04-03-2024, 02:53 PM
Teching In

after you shut down, and turn the key back, the ignition relay runs the fuel pump, and when I try to start, I get one click, and no start. each time I turn the key, I get the single click
Old 04-03-2024, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Is this a new starter?

Sounds more like a grounding issue to me or the wires connected to the starter are lose or corroded.
battery connectors tend to hide corrosion also.
the bolts can get corroded. But look fine.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:33 PM
Teching In

this is a new summitt racing starter fro power master.
the old starter did the same issue, no start after warmed up
I will recheck the starter cables, and battery cables
Old 04-03-2024, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Yup, sounds like a batt cable issue; especially if any of the lights (interior, headlights, etc.) happen to be on when you hit the key, and they go out when it clicks

No sen-sore will cause that behavior
Old 04-03-2024, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

So this is a bit about out there but when I swapped in a LS/T56 into a 99 BMW I had issues similar to yours. Start it up and run perfect. Let it set sometimes it was fine on restart or some times no start. Drove me crazy. I thought I looked at everything. Then one day as I was trying to figure it and the car was running I could smell something like melting plastic. Came from the aftermarket fuse block. Come to find out the a couple spade connectors in the fuse block weren't engaged all the way. Basically creating a open contact as the wires warmed up arced and lost contact.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Run a separate ground from the engine to the body.
The factory grounding points have more than likely corroded.to the point were there is no longer a good connection.
I had the exact same thing going on just recently and the new ground fixed it.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Default starter failure after warm up

I cleaned the corrosion from the battery and ground lugs, and ran a new ground fro the engine to the body. Still no start after warmup.
When the car cycles the fan on and off for two cycles, that is when I get the no start. It clicks loud once, and the interior light does not flicker. I let the car sit for two minutes, , then try to start, and it fires right up.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Im not sure yet if the starter failure is corrected, but we cannot duplicate it now. WE traced the starter ignition purple wire back thru the engine compartment to the inside on the ignition switch . We pushed the connectors on tighter, to find the starter has not failed since. I guess 55 yrs of being connected,caused a little corrosion on the terminals. during the harness replacement, the inside wiring was traced only, not disconnected in any wqay.

here is hoping!!
thank you for all the guidence

Quick Reply: starter failure after warmed up