Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 -> LS6 intake (potential of LS6)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up LS1 -> LS6 intake (potential of LS6)?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap to this intake due to the cost of it vs the FAST one.

What's this I've read about rerouting the coolant line and the EGR? I'd like to ditch that emission stuff under the hood if possible. Do I have AIR?

How would this intake help over the factory one with a larger cam like the TR224 in the higher RPMs? Any ideas on what the '6 intake can support HP wise...like 425rwhp perhaps (if I hit the car with a 100hp shot)?

Old 08-29-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 Z
I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap to this intake due to the cost of it vs the FAST one.

What's this I've read about rerouting the coolant line and the EGR? I'd like to ditch that emission stuff under the hood if possible. Do I have AIR?

How would this intake help over the factory one with a larger cam like the TR224 in the higher RPMs? Any ideas on what the '6 intake can support HP wise...like 425rwhp perhaps (if I hit the car with a 100hp shot)?

Must...use...SEARCH BUTTON.

Anyways, yeah, unless you are going the 90mm FAST route with a stroker or something you are better off with the LS6. You will probably see as much or more horsepower. You have AIR. I am leaving mine alone. There is no performance gain, and you will only shave a few pounds (it is prettier though...but your cats will hate you for it). I was against removing EGR, but I am glad I did it. Get the 1 3/8 expanding freeze plug if you want to remove it before you put the intake on. Works great.

The intake will build you more horsepower (Duh.) Maybe 10-30hp depending on your mods. As far as what can support 425 rwhp, your existing intake would be fine too, just the LS6 flows better, so will give you more power. I am going to get one as soon as I have the cash...unless the BBK gets released and kicks butt.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, did search prior...came back with 9 pages. "LS6 intake swap" what what I looked for. Spare me the lecture please, I get that on other sites I'm on and irritates me when people make assumptions like that. I came up with nothing really concrete for what I was looking for, hence my post.

I asked about EGR as it said something about rerouting. I figured to remove instead of taking all the time to move it around.

Another thread I read said something about modifying the exisiting coolant crossover is why I brought that up.

Seems like the LS6 will just do everything the LS1 can, only better.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, did search prior...came back with 9 pages. "LS6 intake swap" what what I looked for. Spare me the lecture please, I get that on other sites I'm on and irritates me when people make assumptions like that. I came up with nothing really concrete for what I was looking for, hence my post.

I asked about EGR as it said something about rerouting. I figured to remove instead of taking all the time to move it around.

Another thread I read said something about modifying the exisiting coolant crossover is why I brought that up.

Seems like the LS6 will just do everything the LS1 can, only better.
You're obnoxious. Anyways, I have never seen the EGR re-routed. You either use it or don't. As far as the coolant lines you have a few options, shave some material off the bottom of the intake to make room for your coolant lines, get a kit from a vendor, or I saw one guy that used a slightly modified front line in the rear.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Another_User
You're obnoxious. Anyways, I have never seen the EGR re-routed. You either use it or don't. As far as the coolant lines you have a few options, shave some material off the bottom of the intake to make room for your coolant lines, get a kit from a vendor, or I saw one guy that used a slightly modified front line in the rear.

And you're not? Please spare me from getting this thread locked with any more useless insight from you in here aside from what I'm looking for.

I appreciate the info you provided in this thread.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about the thread being locked, your question has been asked over 1,000 times and can be found by doing a search.

This should help you out - http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?ar...b08fb9cd81744d

You cannot re-route the EGR. It has to plug into the Intake Manifold and if you get the LS6, there isn't a spot to put the EGR plug into. Unless you get the SLP LS6 or drill a hole yourself. It is a hassle anyways, just take it off. You are going to have to deal with a SES light though, until you get it tuned.

Last edited by Keenov; 08-29-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

To add to that, the intake will give you decent gains over the stock LS1 intake.

You will see more gains from it by upgrading the cam aswell.

Good luck with your future mods
Old 08-29-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would it be better to use the second pipe instead of the plugs in back?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
would it be better to use the second pipe instead of the plugs in back?
No difference. He did that because he couldn't get a hold of the plugs, IIRC.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

:shrug: I know I am obnoxious. At least I was nice enough to answer your questions.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Keenov
Don't worry about the thread being locked, your question has been asked over 1,000 times and can be found by doing a search.

This should help you out - http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?ar...b08fb9cd81744d

You cannot re-route the EGR. It has to plug into the Intake Manifold and if you get the LS6, there isn't a spot to put the EGR plug into. Unless you get the SLP LS6 or drill a hole yourself. It is a hassle anyways, just take it off. You are going to have to deal with a SES light though, until you get it tuned.

Thanks, I appreciate the positive statment regarding this question. You have countless numbers of threads/posts to search through to locate some basic info...then when you get a smart *** reply, just more nonsense to sift through.

Now the EGR makes sense! I'll just do away with it then, seems like the easiest solution due to the lack of it in the newer manifold.

I have my TB coolant bypassed so is there a need for those coolant lines front or rear anyway?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Another_User
:shrug: I know I am obnoxious. At least I was nice enough to answer your questions.

I understand, but I didn't come here to deal with hostility is all... just some info I couldn't dig up. You assumed and assumed incorrectly.

Low post count doesn't mean I'm a n00b , it means that I don't post a lot...
Old 08-29-2004, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I have my TB coolant bypassed so is there a need for those coolant lines front or rear anyway?
Yes, there is....there was just a thread recently about it actually.
Just found it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/209197-coolant-line-bypass.html