Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow vs. GMMG

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Magnaflow vs. GMMG

i was wondering if you had pacesetter's and an ory...will the magnaflow or the gmmg produce more rasp...i heard a magnaflow setup on ls1sounds that produced absolutly no rasp...i was hopeing the gmmg will be the same and sound better
Old 09-02-2004, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the GMMG is more of a loud setup, you wont get much rasp out of any system really if you're running cats, but without cats since its a resonator setup you might get a little more, the loudmouth is a resonator setup and i know many people who got them with longtubes and cats with no rasp, but i've heard people say with no cats they rasp, magnaflow sounds great, I love it, if you're worried about rasp i'd go for hte magnaflow, it will never sound raspy and since the gmmg is a resonator setup you're running a slight risk.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok...and yes it will be without cats...also if i put a moroso spiral flow muffler will that cut most/all rasp...or could i put a flowmaster merge and get rid of most/all rasp...either situation how would it affect tone/loudness
Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

well if you're replacing the resonators with a muffler you will probly rid of the rasp, but if you're going to do that then i would just go for the loudmouth and switch the resonator for a borla XR-1, that sounds great i hear, but yes a muffler would rid of the rasp, also the gmmg is very expensive, so you might want to look into some more things.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

gmmg is not comparable to loudmouth by any means...so there is no replacing of resonators with mufflers...i was tlaking about putting a moroso in the i-pipe if and only if it had a lot of rasp...i also heard the flowmaster merge collector would take care of that...but i don't know...i need to hear one in person but noone lives near me....
Old 09-02-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

GMMG isnt a 'resonator' system, first off. It has two chambered mufflers. The GMMG and Magnaflow, just like almost every cat-back, will have rasp with an ORY. They both sound good, with the GMMG being a little louder. If you go GMMG I would get cats, its unbelieveable with LT's and Cats.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

thats right, sorry, the gmmg is not a resonator system, it has the chambered(thanks for clarifying), yeah, most of the muffler setups will not show much sign of rasp even with the ORY-pipe, the resonator systems are designed to increase sound but by increasing sound you increase vibration, and eventually if you get it loud enough rasp forms, most of the muffler systems will not create rasp.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

I have the magnaflow and I love it. you can't really tell that it's not stock until about 26-2800 rpms. but i am still running cats too. If you are interested in a set I just bought mine for $336 shipped NEW.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

jrp's got me leaning towards true duals but we will see...i'm looking for a sound that is far from stock...at all rpms..oh and not to mention it needs to end up going out the back with tips...i don't want to leave the trans am's rear open