Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter guys: Question just for you.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter guys: Question just for you.

I'm about 2 days from ordering my set, but wanted to totally confirm some things first. I know their Y pipe sucks, so oh-well on that. What are the other downfalls? Any banging or rattling? For guys w/ the 2000's, did the emissions crap all plug in nicely? Coating chiping and flaking off? Anything and everything would be much appreciated. What I'm wanting, is to put them on, and be able to forget that they're even under there. ... Oh yeah, how about ground clearance? Thanks a million guys!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about the rest except the ground clearance is great. All LT's are pretty much great except SLP's.

-Todd
Old 09-05-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Get the new Y pipe that TSP is producing. It fits the Pacesetters and Im sure it fits much better.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no complaints about my Pacesetters. They offer great clearance, and I'm lowered.

Took this pic the other day.
As far as the coating goes, mine still look like the day they were first installed.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I'm about 2 days from ordering my set, but wanted to totally confirm some things first. I know their Y pipe sucks, so oh-well on that. What are the other downfalls? Any banging or rattling? For guys w/ the 2000's, did the emissions crap all plug in nicely? Coating chiping and flaking off? Anything and everything would be much appreciated. What I'm wanting, is to put them on, and be able to forget that they're even under there. ... Oh yeah, how about ground clearance? Thanks a million guys!!!

Pacesetter headers are great. Installation was very easy. Used the pacesetter y pipe and haven't had any problems with it. Fit well.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 2000. My egr fit perfectly. My AIR was off just a little. I decided to block off my AIR system. The car doesn't need the system without emissions concern. I was afraid with the AIR system installed it would constantly put a bind on the little tubes. So I thought it would be best to leave this system off. I highly recommend pacesetter. I made great power.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, those things really do tuck in nicely. Thanks for the pictures. And thanks for all the input. To PontiacNut, I do have an emissions concern. I live in the dreaded Cali. ( damn clean air people... how dare they help our environment ) What did you mean when you said it would put a bind on the little tubes? I'm going to want everything hooked up I can.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, those things really do tuck in nicely. Thanks for the pictures. And thanks for all the input. To PontiacNut, I do have an emissions concern. I live in the dreaded Cali. ( damn clean air people... how dare they help our environment ) What did you mean when you said it would put a bind on the little tubes? I'm going to want everything hooked up I can.
thught you couldn't move the cats any?
Old 09-05-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've had them for over a year now and am very satisfied with the salt.... the part ppl can se is still nice and shiny
Old 09-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Launching!

The headers themselves fit great....no clearance issues. Y-pipe was a different story, but I made it work. Don't know about the power gains yet but they sure do sound nice with a 2OTL catback and cam.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
thught you couldn't move the cats any?
That's true, if you move the cats out of the original location, your car becomes an off road vehicle. But if I can pass a sniffer test, then I'm okay with that. In my head, the sniffer test is the only one that should count for anything, as it's the one that tells you how much emissions your ride is putting out there.

Did you guys have to tune your cars afterwards, or did they run better right out of the box?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, how bad was the Y pipe? Did it have to be cut and rebuilt, or just bent to all hell to make it work?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Also, how bad was the Y pipe? Did it have to be cut and rebuilt, or just bent to all hell to make it work?
Mine didn't have to be bent or anything. It went on without any hitches.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Keenov
Pacesetter headers are great. Installation was very easy. Used the pacesetter y pipe and haven't had any problems with it. Fit well.

We had no problems with it. We still do not have any problems with it.

I will be getting their Y pipe for my car aswell. We will see if they are 2 for 2.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

CaptUSA, You can hook up the AIR system with, I have installed hookers that had the same proplem. Let me try to explain, The angle that the AIR plate on the header sits, is a little different than the actual tubes from the car. So the hole line up, but when you tighten the bolts it pulls the AIR tube from the car flush against the header. It really is no big deal. As far as emissions, does Cali have a probe that is inserted into the tailpipe, or do they hook a scanner up to the OBDII port?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, let me know for sure if their Y pipe works for you too. And to Pontiac, yes we do have the rubber glove test. (sniffer probe.) And thanks for the AIR info.

: <-- Car; where do you think your going w/ that.
<-- Car 2 seconds later

Last edited by CaptUSA; 09-06-2004 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

CaptUSA, I was wronge about the AIR. The PCM, checks to see if the STFT's respond when the AIR system is engaged. My car just set this code. Sorry for the miss information.

Jeremiah
Old 09-07-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Venom and Keenov. My headers are still bright silver with no rust (drove the car last winter too) and the y-pipe worked out well....
Old 09-07-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would you guys reccomend the black or the ceramic coating on these?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

ceramic all the way

-Todd