Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW K-Member anyone seen anything alike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW K-Member anyone seen anything alike?

Anyone ever seen a k-member with this style of motor mount? You can only use the stock clam shell. I want to know does anyone make a solid clam shell like they did for the lt1?

Old 10-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

what motor mounts am i supposed to use with this?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's a very strang setup..

but yes. You still use the stock clam shell motor mounts.

Those "pegs" replace the heavy steal stock mounting brackets.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Who makes that?

How much does it weigh?

How much is it?

What's the reliability of this one? Can it be used on street vehicles with out ill effects such as it breaking, etc?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

That thing looks weak to me
Old 10-31-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
That thing looks weak to me
What is your reasoning behind that?
Old 10-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Pro Fab k-member. I have one just like it only in red. I used the stock motor mounts with it. You can open the clam shells and insert the poly mount material if you wish. My fitment was pretty good. I only had to clean up the bolt holes where the motor mount bolts go through. I did weigh it but for the life of me I can't remember what it weighed. They can be had from Pro Fab for ~$300 No street time on mine as of now.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

What material is your version made of, Q?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
What material is your version made of, Q?
If he has a Pro Fab K, it is most likely chrome moly.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

mine is chromely pro-fab. so there are people using this unit. Mine will be on the street some. I need to know if anyone makes a solid motor mount to work with this.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:19 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, I think mine was mild steel. I can't remember. I ordered it back in may and installed it about a month ago. I do know it's diffenately lighter than the stock POS k member. I was a little worried at first about those motor mounts but, everything lined up without any problems.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Well, for some reason I can not see any pics, but if it is a Pro Fab I just finished installing one last weekend. I have a few complaints, but overall I am fairly happy with it so far (just got the car going again today and it still needs an alignment before driving much). For one you will need shorter K-frame mounting bolts (12 X1.5 if I remember correctly), second you will have to fabricate some way of mounting your metal brake lines as these are mounted to the stock K-member and there is no way to attach it to the Pro Fab, and lastly I had a hell of a time lining up my motor mount bolts. There was much prying, a lot of cussing, and eventually ended up getting them close enough to screw the motor mount bolts through with out messing them up. I supposedly got the Chrome Moly one, but can not say for sure since to this day (even after multiple phone calls) I have not gotten a receipt, and there was nothing on the K-Member to verify it was the Chrome moly one and not the mild steel. The K-member came in a box with absolutely nothing else in it. The only thing I have for assurance that I got the Chrome Moly one was the additional $100.00 charged to my credit card. Before I ordered the C/M K I called and talked with someone at Pro Fab and they said that they use the same diameter and gauge C/M as they do mild steel so it is actually only a pound or two lighter than the mild steel but should be almost twice as strong. I hope this is the case because this is my daily driver and family car.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

i just need to know if anyone makes a type of solid mount like this for the ls1. I have a set of madman's mounts, obviously they are not gonna work. someone help me out.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TNFbodyandmore
i just need to know if anyone makes a type of solid mount like this for the ls1. I have a set of madman's mounts, obviously they are not gonna work. someone help me out.
Call Pro Fab and ask them... they may even offer a set. I just opened up my stock mounts and used the prothane inserts. Those along with the prothane tranny mount and torque arm mount does transfer some additional vibration to the seat though. By the way, for those that were asking, I do not remember the exact weight of the Pro Fab Moly but it was 38 lbs lighter than the stock one.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldn't they (Pro Fab) have to weld the current mount on with platforms to fit the ls1 block bolt pattern? The solid Manman mounts bolt to the k-member and directly to the block right? So, those pedistals currenlty used on the Pro Fab would have to have plate welded on that sat directly against the block. Pro Fab would probably have to send you another K-member.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man that thing looks so dinky compared to the BMR... I would venture to say it is not good for roadrace or daily driving either.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by guadofreak
Man that thing looks so dinky compared to the BMR... I would venture to say it is not good for roadrace or daily driving either.
Do you have a picture of the BMR you could post? I would like to see the difference. I looked at the BMR site and, unless I am mistaken, it did not look like an LS1 K-member in the picture.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

no, i like bmr and all. actually the rest of my suspension is bmr, but their k-member looks dingy. thats why i went with this pro-fab
Old 11-01-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

OK, I just went to the BMR site and checked out there K-Member. The only three things I saw about it that look different than the Pro Fab is that they use some sort of expanded welded together attachment point which is thicker than the flat plate used on the Pro Fab so maybe you could use the stock bolts instead of having to purchase shorter ones; however, all of the welds required to make it seem like it would make it weaker. Secondly the motormounts attach to the side of the K-member closer to where it attaches to the frame, which does look stronger and more stable than on the long legs of the Pro Fab. I just wonder if that style attachment would cause more problems with header clearance verses the Pro fab style which just comes straight down from the mount. Lastly, the Pro Fab uses one large mandrel bent tube to connect the two side where the BMR comes down to another welded flange/bracket/joint and then connects using one large straight tube. So in my opinion, strength would basically come down to which tube is stronger; the mandrel bent one or the one welded to a joint with the other attaching points???
Old 11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

well i got in a wreck and my stock k member was bent so i had them order a pro fab...the one that is on special for 300 is that mild steel or hte chromoly one and can u use it as a daily driver cause thats what mines for..