Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I do this with my catback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could I do this with my catback?

Right now I have LTs, ORY, and a Magnaflow catback. According to some, this setup is quiet, but I think those people must be running H/C setups with true duals or something, because mine is NOT quiet. I used to like it really loud, but now a friend of mine has a stock Z and wants to keep it sounding a bit quieter and it's influenced me to want the same. I also just want a different tone out of it.

Of course I'll keep my LTs and ORY, but I was wondering if I would be able to buy SLPs 2OTL muffler just by itself and have it custom-fit into the place of my Magnaflow muffler. I've heard it in person and I love it.

I think this is it, but I'm not sure.
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...20&BIG=31020-1

Could I keep my current setup and have that muffler plugged in? I think I could route one of the pipes off to the left and have the other one custom-made to go back across the muffler and over to the right (I like my tips to be one on each side )
Old 02-09-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

I don't see why not, any competent muffler shop should be able do to this with out any problems.

How does this muffler compare to the dual/dual muffler? louder? just wondering cause it would be easier to get one of those and put it on if you want a tip on each side.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67

How does this muffler compare to the dual/dual muffler? louder? just wondering cause it would be easier to get one of those and put it on if you want a tip on each side.
The 2OTL muffler is a bit louder than the dual/dual. Dual/dual is basically like stock (sound wise).

I beleive the newer magnaflow system actually uses a muffler that is almost exactly like the 2OTL system, only it already has the other pipe crossing back behind the muffler and out the right rear side.....
Old 02-09-2005, 07:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

I think this is it, but I'm not sure.
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...20&BIG=31020-1

Could I keep my current setup and have that muffler plugged in? I think I could route one of the pipes off to the left and have the other one custom-made to go back across the muffler and over to the right (I like my tips to be one on each side )
Yes, that looks identicle to the 2OTL muffler.

A muffler shop should be able to do it, but it likely won't be a mandrel bend as very few exhaust shops have those......
Old 02-09-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scotty,

Honestly, if you're looking for something noticeably quieter, the SLP 2OTL isn't going to be any quieter than the Magnaflow as long as you run your LT's w/ ORY set-up as well. I think it would actually sound a little better (slightly deeper with a bit less rasp), but it's still going to be LOUD when you get on it.

I'd personally throw a couple nice $65 Carsound cats in place of the race pipes which would tone it down noticeably, but give a better, cleaner sound. Then I'd run the 2OTL, Hooker Aerochamber, or Magnaflow. But if your deadset on keeping the offroad pipes, I'd recommend either the Hooker (which sounds much better than the Magnaflow w/ out cats IMO) or the SLP Dual/Dual. The Hooker will be very quiet until you floor it and the Dual/Dual is damn near stock sounding at basically any rpm like Ryan said!

If you want something different and quieter, my vote is for some highflow cats + a different muffler (SLP 2OTL or Hooker).

Mike
Old 02-09-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

how will cutouts on a random tech cat back system, with stock y and headers sound???

i'm purchasing a random tech cat back system used for 200 this weekend.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Teching In

my brother has a cutout and it sounds pretty mean for a mostly stcok exhaust
Old 02-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Teching In

stock my bad
Old 02-09-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Scotty,

Honestly, if you're looking for something noticeably quieter, the SLP 2OTL isn't going to be any quieter than the Magnaflow as long as you run your LT's w/ ORY set-up as well. I think it would actually sound a little better (slightly deeper with a bit less rasp), but it's still going to be LOUD when you get on it.

I'd personally throw a couple nice $65 Carsound cats in place of the race pipes which would tone it down noticeably, but give a better, cleaner sound. Then I'd run the 2OTL, Hooker Aerochamber, or Magnaflow. But if your deadset on keeping the offroad pipes, I'd recommend either the Hooker (which sounds much better than the Magnaflow w/ out cats IMO) or the SLP Dual/Dual. The Hooker will be very quiet until you floor it and the Dual/Dual is damn near stock sounding at basically any rpm like Ryan said!

If you want something different and quieter, my vote is for some highflow cats + a different muffler (SLP 2OTL or Hooker).

Mike
Thank you for your honest advice. There's a local guy with LTs, ORY, and the 2OTL muffler and it's definitely quieter than mine, mainly when idling and cruising. I still want it to be loud as hell when I go WOT. I think I may pick up the muffler and if I still want to quiet it down then I'll get a new catted Y. As far as I know, cats cannot be fitted onto the Pacesetter Y that I have. Plus I'm not only looking for something just a bit quieter, another main concern is the tone. I really like the Magnaflow tone, but I've recently become tired with it and I'm looking for something just a bit smoother and slightly more exotic, which the 2OTL sounds like.

As far as the mandrel bends, I might talk to a muffler shop and see what kind of bends they need, then order some stainless steel ones online.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Here: http://www.tbyrne.com/ls1catalog.html

Click on "exhaust" (left side) and scroll down till you get to the magnaflow system. That is what the new system looks like, same type of muffler as 2OTL but they designed it to have opposing tailpipes like what you want. The magnaflow system I had years ago looked different, tailpipe outlets were on oppsite sides of the muffler (like dual/dual).
Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Here: http://www.tbyrne.com/ls1catalog.html

Click on "exhaust" (left side) and scroll down till you get to the magnaflow system. That is what the new system looks like, same type of muffler as 2OTL but they designed it to have opposing tailpipes like what you want. The magnaflow system I had years ago looked different, tailpipe outlets were on oppsite sides of the muffler (like dual/dual).
My muffler is the older design as well. Hence why all of the exhaust comes out of one tip instead of both.

I think I might try the 2OTL. Hell, if all else fails, I'll just have two tips on the left fabricated up. I'm tired of my Magnaflow tips anyways.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
My muffler is the older design as well. Hence why all of the exhaust comes out of one tip instead of both.

I think I might try the 2OTL. Hell, if all else fails, I'll just have two tips on the left fabricated up. I'm tired of my Magnaflow tips anyways.
I think you'll like the 2OTL muffler. I had that system as well in the past, it sounded really nice with headers/ORY and a cam. Had just a tad of rasp at certain rpms, but nothing real bad at all, and with cats there will be NO rasp at all. Volume level was just right.

I had to pull it off though, it was on my WS6 and I just got sick of how that system looked on my T/A rear bumper (with the open tailpipe hole on the right). After that I discovered Bassani and got hooked on that system and bought one for my Camaro. Bassani will be even louder than what you have now though, so I wouldn't recommned it for what you want to do.

The 2OTL looks just fine on a Camaro bumper, should you decide to just run both pipes out the left like the full catback comes. If I didn't have the Bassani system on my Camaro, I would have the SLP 2OTL system.