Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not happy with magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not happy with magnaflow

i just installed my magnaflow and am very unhappy is not even loud is really really quiet almost stock. which exhaust are loud not nasty loud like flowmaster though.i want a muscular loud
Old 05-03-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You too, huh.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Borla
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

My car sounds like it just pulled of the track at Martinsville. In fact it draws a little to much attention. But I have an ARE Stage III H/C with high flow cats a 3" custom Y pipe and QTP 1 3/4 headers. If you put a big cam in it, it will make pets run and small childern cry. With my dual cuts outs open, it sounds more like a top fueler when I'm in the burnout box. I have had alot of coments at the track on how nasty it sounds.

Trust me a couple little mods, will make it too loud, but it sounds like you want that.

Rampant
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

My exhaust is LOUD... I have the TSP Rumbler catback, with their catted y-pipe and Pacesetter headers. Whenever I watch video of my track runs, I can almost always hear my car going down the track over whatever is in the other lane.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Headers and Duals with sweetthunder mufflers, or GMMG catback. Dual exhaust is the only ones that truly sound musclecar to me. Borla sounds the same as the loudmouth, my Borla adj. is in a junk pile in my garage.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

get some headers or ditch the cats and then see how loud it gets. you will love it then.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

uh, all you had to do was some research and you'd find that magnaflow has one of the most docile around town sounds out there. at WOT it screams pretty nice, my clip is in sig.

i'd keep the magnaflow and just buy a cutout, best of both worlds. especially being in cali, some cops around here dont **** around when it comes to loud cars.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i wouldn't get to crazy if you live in california
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have the magnaflow catback but i have duals over the axle with 2 magnaflows mufflers and it sounds great, it is quiet but still louder than stock when cruising. When i get on it its amazing. everyone that has riden in my car says its the best sounding f-body they have heard. everyone else I see has a raspy catback or duals dumped. I had dumps and they are way to loud and i had a catback but it was very raspy.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Quote: at WOT it screams pretty nice, my clip is in sig.

You have longtubes and an offroad pipe don't you jrp? IMHO, with stock manifolds and cats I would say the magnaflow wot is more of a muffled peep.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Quote: at WOT it screams pretty nice, my clip is in sig.

You have longtubes and an offroad pipe don't you jrp? IMHO, with stock manifolds and cats I would say the magnaflow wot is more of a muffled peep.
that clip was LT's and catted Y. but i've got a few buddies on stock manifolds and Y and though not nearly as loud as mine i'd hardly call it stock.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

My brother's got it on his bolt on ws6 (stock cats and manifolds). It's really quiet outside and inside the car at idle and daily driving. Sounds great at WOT though. Have someone drive your car past you on the highway at WOT and you might change your mind.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
Headers and Duals with sweetthunder mufflers, or GMMG catback. Dual exhaust is the only ones that truly sound musclecar to me. Borla sounds the same as the loudmouth, my Borla adj. is in a junk pile in my garage.

I gotta agree with skippytheloon. By no means am I an expert, but I can't find enough excuses to drive somewhere simply to hear that beautiful, LOUD TD sound. There aren't any adjectives worthy of attempting to describe the sound! I have to say I am personally on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to what I consider an acceptable volume for my daily driver exhaust. I was shocked at first, thinking what the hell have I done. Give it two hours and you'll be in love. No way is this too loud. Open headers...that's too loud!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe it's me but I personally love the sound of my Magnaflow, even before the LT's and ORY it was farily loud @ WOT, nothing crazy but noticeable, now with the LT's & ORY it's awesome. Nothing insane, but more than loud enough for me..
Old 05-03-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
uh, all you had to do was some research and you'd find that magnaflow has one of the most docile around town sounds out there. at WOT it screams pretty nice, my clip is in sig.

i'd keep the magnaflow and just buy a cutout, best of both worlds. especially being in cali, some cops around here dont **** around when it comes to loud cars.
I agree with him also i have it with LT's and ORY and it sounds badass. A freind of mine just put it on his stock car and it sounds good but not loud then he put a cutout and wham it does sound pretty tough. But just remember it is not just about sound its about power and magnaflow is one of the best when it comes to flow. so get a cutout and control the sound of your car..
Old 05-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

I have had the Magnaflow, Hooker, Corsa, SLP LM and Flowmaster exhausts (I have had three LS1 cars) and I personnally got tired of the LOUD SLP LM and the Corsa, especially on longer drives. I would get the Magnaflow and the Hooker again based on my personal preferences. It sounds as though you might like the SLP LM or the Corsa.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed the Magnaflow a few weeks ago.... Was really not happy at all.
But now it is growing on me.. I have been told that it takes about 2000 miles for the internals to pack. Which means it will sound better.. A little W.O.T. will help with the packing process..

What really changed my mind was when I had the wife drive the car past the house. Damned nice sound. Then she floored it and I am happy now... Just don't have all the noise inside the car... But am still thinking about a cutout just to play with.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Magnaflow with long tubes and an ory. It is loud, alot louder. I get noticed everywhere, and when i get on it, people slow down. But if your in Cali, I dont think I would recommend that. Just my $.02
Old 05-03-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you just installed it....give it some time. It will get louder. Even my mom noticed that my car sounded louder when it had some miles on it. Headers/ory will wake it up a lot.