Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling/Buzzing exhaust sound...Any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattling/Buzzing exhaust sound...Any suggestions

The Basics:
2000 Trans AM WS6 A4
2800 vig stall
221/223 112 cam
Mac mids with cats, stock i-pipe, flowmaster, dual/dual tips

The issue:
between 2200 and 2450 rpms, I get this annoying metallic buzzing/rattling noise from the back of my car near the muffler. It started when I had my flowmaster installed. After my cam install, it became worse because the cam made my exhaust even louder.
I went back to the muffler shop and they cut off the flowmaster and installed a new one. (I watch the entire time) Guess what, I still have the noise..

My first guess was a loose heat shield, but they seem pretty tight. I am going to jack up the back of my car and have someone rev it to the range of RPMS that creates the noise and poke around.

Anyone have this problem? Any suggestions. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RC_Y2KWS6TA
The Basics:
2000 Trans AM WS6 A4
2800 vig stall
221/223 112 cam
Mac mids with cats, stock i-pipe, flowmaster, dual/dual tips

The issue:
between 2200 and 2450 rpms, I get this annoying metallic buzzing/rattling noise from the back of my car near the muffler. It started when I had my flowmaster installed. After my cam install, it became worse because the cam made my exhaust even louder.
I went back to the muffler shop and they cut off the flowmaster and installed a new one. (I watch the entire time) Guess what, I still have the noise..

My first guess was a loose heat shield, but they seem pretty tight. I am going to jack up the back of my car and have someone rev it to the range of RPMS that creates the noise and poke around.

Anyone have this problem? Any suggestions. Thanks for the help!
I've got some of the same problems; It's my Y-pipe banging that just hasn't got fixed yet. But that sounds like it's coming from the back of the car while in the cabin. It could be that if you haven't ruled that out already. It could be the heat shields as well even if it feels tight. I had that problem on an older Camaro of mine and fixed it by taking off the shield, putting a layer of RTV where it made contact, and bolting it back on. But it's not like those are the only culprits for rattle. It could be a number of things...hopefully you're able to track it down.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I will check the y-pipe and the i-pipe at the cross brace again. I crimped out a section of the cross brace where it was barely touching and making a noise. Maybe it still doesn't have enough clearance. I will probably take it off and drive around for a while to see if it stops. If it does, I will rig up some type of heat-resistant buffer between the metal peices.

Your right, one thing that is a pain in the a$$ about exhaust rattles, is that they echo through the system and its hard to pinpoint the where its coming from.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i have seen a high temp buffer somewhere that is made to cure what your talking about. one dude used a piece of wood and just wedged it and just switched pieces when it got cooked
Old 05-07-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem that took me quite a while to solve. I was sure it was coming from the exhaust/heat sheilding somewhere. Took damn near all of it off and the noise was still there. The noise ended up being one of the springs on the bottom of the passenger seat resonating. Honestly I never thought I'd find it. I'm damn suprised I did, because it sounded like it was coming from much further back in the car. It's worth a check anyway.
Craig
Old 05-07-2005, 09:08 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

well I dont know if its any help., but when I put on my magnaflow catback, the over axle pipe kept trying to sit on the axle, and drop down in the back. so everytime I would run the car ,especially around 2000rpm, it would sound like a damn machine gun war inside my cabin. eventually I had to fab up a custom hanger braket for the over axle to get it to quit screwin around. biggest PITA catback I ever installed... had to do like 5 or 6 things to get it to sit where it's supposed to.

Brad
Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Funny, i just heard a noise like that on my car today. It only happened when i first started her up, went away after a quick rev of the engine. I just installed a new Hooker catback a couple days, i'll have to investigate further if it does it again.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same sound...it was the where the y pipe met in the I pipe...i swore it was coming from the rear, but i was wrong. You have to have someone get under the car and then play around with different RPMs and you'll find it.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

my muffler is coming aparts, so it rattles a little.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The stock 02 sensors have a loose sheild around the tip and will rattle also so you might want to check them too.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
The stock 02 sensors have a loose sheild around the tip and will rattle also so you might want to check them too.
i'm glad i found this thread, i think one of the noises my car is making is a spring resonating under the seat, i just hadn't thought of that.......and i'm getting that 02 rattle too, for a short term fix i put a couple of zip ties on the body of the sensor below the little heat shield cap thingy to tighten it up, and that helped a bit, but i think they've pry come off by now.....

Quick Reply: Rattling/Buzzing exhaust sound...Any suggestions