Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout and "ricey" noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout and "ricey" noise

Hey guys,

I had an electronic cutout installed on my '98 Camaro SS a few months ago (http://jtmoney.biatches.org/camaro/cutout/), and all was well for the first day or so. Then I started noticing that between about 1900-2100 rpm, it makes a "ricey" noise--the exhaust completely changes its tone and it sounds like a souped-up four banger. Is this typical of cutouts? Is this just the exhaust note hitting something's resonance frequency?

I can make an audio clip using my digital camera, by the way. =)

--James
Old 05-10-2005, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are referring to rasp. Not everybody likes the "unclean" sound of a cutout.

1900-2100 rpm is the range where you get the most resonance and drone. It's not a good place to listen to an LS1. Might want to give it enough gas that it goes right by that range in normal driving.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 05-10-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

its also a question of where (physically) you are hearing it from. just as an example, from the cabin of my car, which is VERY muffled in hearing the exhaust system, my magnaflow catback sounds just like what you are describing to me. At a certain rpm, it sounds like a real low frequency fartcan. but on the outside, or so I am told (no one else has driven my car while I've owned it, but I've heard it on videos we've made with professional audio equipment) it sounds like a badass muscle car, nice and throaty and wonderful.

so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you've heard it on the outside and it is still to your disliking. i think that if this kind of 'ricey' sound was a standard cutout effect, most people would find another way to extract exhaust earlier than the muffler, and the cutout wouldn't be so popular.

Brad
Old 05-11-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, there are a couple spots in the rpm range where it doesnt sound to good (at least from in the car) like blkZ28 said. I just look at it as the price to pay for having a wide-open exhaust. It sure does sound mean when you stand on it though
Old 05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Ya, there are a couple spots in the rpm range where it doesnt sound to good (at least from in the car) like blkZ28 said. I just look at it as the price to pay for having a wide-open exhaust. It sure does sound mean when you stand on it though
yes sir! and if anyone is considering getting one, if you like how NASCAR stock cars sound, you'll love a cutout (although they're MUCH louder, i think that's the "raspy" noise i've heard described here). =)

so could someone explain the difference between drone and resonance while we're at it?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exhaust resonating will make a drone sound on the inside of the car.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
The exhaust resonating will make a drone sound on the inside of the car.
Redneck pretty well took care of it. You can think of drone as the product of resonance.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can help eliminate this by welding a bullet muffler right before it...a cutout, then a cutout with the bullet before it were my first two iterations on my exhaust. The bullet really makes a cutout sound very nice on stock manifolds with cats. It sounds great with headers and cats too.