Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you reccomend
X pipe
80.97%
H pipe
19.03%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

True Dual owners, X or H

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True Dual owners, X or H

Which setup are you using and are happy with. Im mostly concerend with sound and flow. Ive heard people say H pipes sound better but Im sure there are some X pipe lovers out there...
Just wanted to see what most of the TD guys are running
Old 06-05-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the other 12 posts on this page about TDs and peoples opinions.

I loved mine!
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

All depends what kind of sound you prefer. If i had duals, it would be with an xpipe for better flow.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

X pipe for power, h pipe for sound.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, as many of you may or may not know my 99 TA had 2.5" duals with X pipe, magnaflow cats, dynomax 12" bullets over the axle with magnaflow tips. It sounded somewhat deep, the tone was very aggressive during WOT, but still wasn't enough for me. I wanted the car to sound more muscular at idle and a deeper tone. Also, my car on the interstate in a higher gear between 1600-1900 RPM had an aweful drone that would give you a headache until you got used to it over time. This forced me to drive in 5th gear @ 75 MPH on the interstate so that my GF wouldn't get upset with me. So, what did I do to solve the problem?

I knew for the past month that a change was in order so I talked to someone that I trusted in the exhaust business. He gave me some input and then I took that information and did some internet research. What I found was somewhat helpful to the question asked many times on the forums here.

"What is the difference of applications for the H and X pipe?"

To sum it up quickly let me put it like this:

X pipe - more HP and TQ above the curve (high RPM)

H pipe - more HP and TQ under the curve (low to mid RPM)

Take a look at some dyno comparisons from two different mustangs. This was a write up and dyno study by 5.0 magazine. Please, I know that the tests were not on an LS1, but no flames please. I only offer info and assistance to help people choose what pipe to use on their true duals.

The dyno chart make it easy to see the differences between H and X pipes.

Now, what did I gain and what did I change. My new setup is 3" true duals with H pipe and twin Flowmaster Super 40 series mufflers dumped in front of the axle. I was hesitant to install a dumped setup in fear that the interior resonance would be worse than before, but I was wrong. The H pipe with the new designed flowmasters were as quiet in cruise mode as my old 80 series crossflow flowmaster I had replaced the stock muffler with (back during Y pipe days). The high gear 1600-1900 RPM drone is GONE. My GF is so happy now and I can drive the car in 6th gear 80 MPH with the cruise on and no drone. I also noticed that my car felt a little more responsive on throttle, but I think removing the cats and the H pipe both contributed to that. My car in idle with the stock cam sounds SICK! The pulse you feel on the ground and through your body is sooooo intense now, unlike before. People now turn to look at my car while driving around town. They wan't to see where it's coming from and one even gave me a thumbs up at a traffic light. The newly redesigned Super 40 flowmasters are everything the manufacturer made them to be. Deeper tone on the outside, less interior noise/resonance on the inside, and flows more CFM than the original flowmaster 40 series. Take a look at the info on their website about them.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cg...ml?id=NKVPbATS

Want to hear them and how awesome they sound click the "super 40 sound bytes" icon on that page (play sound 6). My car doesn't sound too far off from the Coronet 440 they used in the sound tests. My LS1 now sounds more like a big block chevy during idle than ever before. I'm so glad that I took a chance even though all the slomaster and crapmaster bashing out there because the new super 40 flowmasters are the best muffler they have EVER made. Sound clips and pics of my new setup soon to come next week.

Other things I love about the new mufflers. The black coating doesn't make them stick out like a sore thumb in day or night like dull gray finished mufflers. Stainless or polished mufflers REALLY stick out at night under our cars so the black finish is a good thing. I also like the fact that I don't have the pipes over the axle making noises when I hit big bumps. That is soooo nice. I am so glad that I went to this new setup.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

do you have any pics????
Old 06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X pipe here. 3in duals with dr. gas x pipe, then goes into flo-pro twister mufflers, then dumps before the axles. i guarantee a dr. gas x pipe will out flow any H pipe.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 AM
12 Second Club

just by visualizing it, I would think a H pipe has less resistance because its basically straight, while the X makes the gas collide against the other side and bounce around.
I was starting to lean towards the H because I think the differences are neglible and Ive heard many times that H pipes tend to sound better
Old 06-06-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm not happy with my H will be changing to X soon. I wanted "the better sound" but it's not there. I had the same setup with a x before, much better!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

H-pipe here. Very deep sounding. Just like UnleashedBeast said, the pulses on the ground with the stock cam are unreal. It sounds like I have a bigger cam even though I don't. The sound is very big-block. My buddy said my car sounds like a NASCAR and that it was so MEAN sounding when I passed him at WOT. From his perspective, he said the car sounded like it had way more power than it really does. I've heard X-pipes in person and I love their sound as well, but not near as much as I like the H. It's just so much deeper. I gained .5 seconds and 4 MPH after the header and duals install, so I doubt the X-pipe is going to give you any more noticeable power. If you're worried about a couple horse then use the X, otherwise use the H. You will turn heads everywhere you drive!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
H-pipe here. Very deep sounding. Just like UnleashedBeast said, the pulses on the ground with the stock cam are unreal. It sounds like I have a bigger cam even though I don't. The sound is very big-block. My buddy said my car sounds like a NASCAR and that it was so MEAN sounding when I passed him at WOT. From his perspective, he said the car sounded like it had way more power than it really does. I've heard X-pipes in person and I love their sound as well, but not near as much as I like the H. It's just so much deeper. I gained .5 seconds and 4 MPH after the header and duals install, so I doubt the X-pipe is going to give you any more noticeable power. If you're worried about a couple horse then use the X, otherwise use the H. You will turn heads everywhere you drive!
Im curious which H pipe did you go with and did you remove your cats when you did the install? Also would the sound change much if you go true duals all the way back with the same setup you have instead of Dumps? im wanting to go with LTs, H-Pipe, and 18" Sweet Thunders but all the way back
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

I run 2 1/2" thru a Spintech X-pipe, I think it sounds great like a real hot rod should. Power???? It's got power too I suppose. RWHP means nothing to me.....it's "seat-of-the-pants" that registers!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
X pipe for power, h pipe for sound.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:12 AM
TECH Regular

My new X-pipe over the axle sounds nice to me, but that's just me.

UnleashedBeast- Sounds like a nice set-up, can't wait to see the pics and video.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

to figure out what sounds best, check out ls1sounds.com, they have all kinds of true dual setups for you to listen to. Pesonally ive heard better things about x-pipe power throughout the entire curve. If you think logically, horsepower gains from exhaust are all based on the velocity of the escaping exhaust. The higher the velocity, the more scavenging a header can perform, and therefore the more power it will deliver. With an x-pipe there is no 90 degree change in direction. A good x-pipe such as a doctor gas, the flow from both sides can meet, pressure equalize, and even form a sort of vacuum on a side flowing less to equalize pressure. It does this without ramming exhaust gasses head on and creating more turbulence. All in all x-pipes are designed to combine gases without deteriorating velocity, so therefore more power is delivered throughout the entire band. especially low end. On the otherhand, there are sound differences, and on mustangs i have heard i tend to like the h-pipe better as far as sound is concerned, but go to ls1sounds.com to solve that issue to your satisfaction.

nathan
Old 06-07-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default X Pipe

I just got back from the muffler shop having my new 3" True Dual w/ X pipe , 2.5" sweet thunders and dumps. All I can say is WOW that's a big difference from 2.5" H Pipe & bullets. Now don't get me wrong I loved my previous set up but the new one rocks my world. I can't say what it sounds like outside the car yet, but I can tell you that it SCREAMS LIKE NASCAR in the upper rpm range. The X on my car sounds way better than the H IMO and feels like it pulls harder. My vote is for the X pipe!

OH yeah and I love LS1sounds.com and have spent many hours there but sometimes they sound different in person. I like the sweet thunders alot better in person(on my car) than I did the sound clip. If there is anyone close to you that has True duals that you can listen to I would suggest that.
Good luck!!

Kevin

Last edited by silver02Z; 06-07-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Teching In

My setup is Hooker LT's, 2.5", X-Pipe, No cats, Flowmaster 1-Chambers dumped. I love the sound, however I am thinking of switching out the X to an H to get a deeper/louder sound.

-VortecLS1
Old 06-22-2005, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

X has a more midrangy tuned sound... like a Z06 with a catback.

I have had both...X and H.

X for me!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Teching In

X pipe for power

Quick Reply: True Dual owners, X or H