Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put on LT/ORY now sounds like crap, need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put on LT/ORY now sounds like crap, need help!!

I put on Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY and Hooker catback and its sounds pretty good when I start it and when im in the lower RPM range (around 1500) and slowly on it, but once i get on it a little more i get that damn crappy sound, rasp,drone...etc. I also get that damn sound of the Y pipe smacking the floor board. If i put cats on it will it sound better??
Also i put 02 sim on back and took the EGR and AIR off and now my check engine lights on and my fans are running and my engine temp gauge hasnt moved past 160 degrees. will the check engine like make my car run bad? like pull timing or anything??
thanks for anyhelp.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StangKillaLS1
I put on Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY and Hooker catback and its sounds pretty good when I start it and when im in the lower RPM range (around 1500) and slowly on it, but once i get on it a little more i get that damn crappy sound, rasp,drone...etc. I also get that damn sound of the Y pipe smacking the floor board. If i put cats on it will it sound better??
Also i put 02 sim on back and took the EGR and AIR off and now my check engine lights on and my fans are running and my engine temp gauge hasnt moved past 160 degrees. will the check engine like make my car run bad? like pull timing or anything??
thanks for anyhelp.
If you didn't have it programmed out then the lack of AIR and EGR will trip the SES light but should'nt affect how it runs. Not sure why it's kicking the fans off constantly. I have basically the same setup only Magnaflow instead of Hooker and I don't notice any drone at high rpm's. It is pretty loud though
Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

u might want to add them kitty cats
Old 06-14-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Will AIR removal by itself throw codes?
Old 06-14-2005, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhitePheonix
Will AIR removal by itself throw codes?
Yes.

StangKillaLS1: You have a crappy/raspy sound at higher RPM through a Hooker cat-back? That's odd, it's always praised for being more refined/quiet even with no cats. I haven't heard it on a catless LS1 in person, but I always thought it would be a good sound.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Launching!

I would say if the fans are running all the time and you have no gauge then you left the temp sensor on the drivers side head off. It is right behind the power steering pump and if I remember right in the vicinity of the first header tube. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Launching!

I ahd an aero chamber muffler on my 98 T/A with macs and ory and it sounded nice to me...mean rumble w/o too much rasp.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I gave up on all the Hooker stuff, I thought it sounded like crap. I think alot of guys on the boards think it sounds good, but I did not. Maybe if I had a big cam and a manual it would have sounded better. I also fought the banging issues forever.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

if yo goto ls1sounds. hooker does sound the most refined with an ORY setup! im pretty surprised. If its raspy with a hooker, then i dont see it being refined with any other catback, maybe a slp dual dual?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

I KNOW that the SLP dual/dual does not rasp at all, even with headers and ORY. Buddy of mine and fellow board member recently installed QTP longtubes and ORY with cutouts, this slp dual/duals still sounds very quiet and refine.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I KNOW that the SLP dual/dual does not rasp at all, even with headers and ORY. Buddy of mine and fellow board member recently installed QTP longtubes and ORY with cutouts, this slp dual/duals still sounds very quiet and refine.
To me these things rasp even when completely stock.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

My Hooker sytem LT, ORY, catback, sounds great.... It rasps pretty bad if you rev at idle or jump out of the gas at 5grand and push in the clutch. But under WOT and aily driving have little drone and very little rasp under load.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

The REAL cure for rasp is duals.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

I need to actually know what rasp is before I say if my car has it. I can hear what sounds like air going through the pipes at partial throttle and I don't like it very much. But I don't know if that is what people think of as rasping.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
I need to actually know what rasp is before I say if my car has it. I can hear what sounds like air going through the pipes at partial throttle and I don't like it very much. But I don't know if that is what people think of as rasping.
He is the LT's, ORY and dual/dual guy I was referring to. Let me hear your car again through the entire rev range (when I'm not in my car, lol) and I'll have a better idea.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

I'll take you for a ride sometime.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW I have a video of my car going 0-3rd gear so around 80.. all from outside. If someone wants to host it to compare let me know and I'll send it over.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StangKillaLS1
thanks for anyhelp.

Rasp and drone anything over 1500...sounds like you just aren't into the sound of a muscle car to me. Cats will improve your sound by deadening and muffling some frequencies as well as robbing a few ponies. Just like everyone said, your performance should not be affected by the check engine light. It will however be affected by the banging Y because, from what I've read and heard, the knock sensor picks it up as pinging and pulls timing. I'm also having this issue. But back to the sound issue, most people who've felt like you found that installing some cats was just what they were looking for. Quite honestly though you have a popular setup and a lot of people praise this sound...so I'm really thinking that you're not much into sound or putting a little too much emphasis on some things. Also i just wanted to bring it to a point that almost any exhaust system will rasp on these cars at the 2K - 2.3K RPM ranges. This is especially true under any kind of mild acceleration.

Justin
Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the repleys, Well I feel stupid, I forgot the plug in the engine temp, now that I did that the fans turned off. The check engine lights still on, but I can live with that.
I havent heard any LT,ORY/ CATTED Y,EXHAUSTS, in person due to few LS1s around here and if there is its just a catback. Ive went on LS1sounds way before I bought my exhaust and listended to the LS1 sounds on the street racing vid Scandalous racing and have heard some badass exhaust tones. I got my set up (LT,ORY,Hooker) after listening to a street racing vid of a bunch of cobras racing and 1 pewter 410rwhp WS6 racing.. that WS6 sounded bad ***. I think my exhaust note sounds badass at WOT above 50mph, either thats due to me having a Automatic, but when Im at WOT around 40 or so it almost sounds like a motorcycle or something, just crappy sounding. Im going to the Midwest F-body meet in Norwalk, Iowa and maybe I can get a chance to hear other LS1's exhausts.

Also My car idles really high, like sometimes at 1000rpm and I have to stick it in Nuatral when Im at a light, and sometimes when I start the car up it will kinda chug like its got a cam. Could this be from taking off the EGR/AIR? This is on my new 98 without a cam and pretty much bone stock (just so you dont get this info confused for my other cammed Trans Am)
Old 06-16-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

I had headers, ory, and the Hooker catback on my pewter A4 car and I loved it so much that I just ordered it again for my black car along with headers and ory the other day. I had so many compliments on it........noone around here has anything other than flowmasters, glasspacks, or straight pipes I love the Hooker catback I can't wait to hear the exhaust on this m6 screaming through the gears