Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Something yall might want to do, probably some have, but look at many other sources, even simply google "hp gains from spark plug wires" if you will and see what you find. dumEveryone knows that truth and credibility comes from much reliable and multiple dumsources of information or non-varying results. dumIf something is good, it doesn't take long for people to catch on, if something is bad-same thing. dumAs far as I know, these wires have been out for sometime now and are not a new product or research. dum

You guys can see for yourselves what you find, i personally didn't find much supporting information at all, if anything, most all of it still states no hp gains for spark plug wires, if any gains are to be held they would be very minimal if anything. dumResearch how a spark plug wire works and the truth lies there as well.

Another interesting thing. dumGo look for "chips" for our cars on eBay or something. dumSome of them claim some pretty nice gains and such. dumThe have something usually that's different of their products than all the others, say that this is what makes them different and it works because of that, have money back guarantees, ect. dumI dunno, maybe I should get one and try it out and see if I can get 50hp or w/e but it's not worth the ten bucks just because you don't hear everyone doing that instead of intake and exhaust upgrades which cost much more than ten bucks. dumJust an extreme case of why people can and should be skeptical sometimes.

Again, this isn't too scientific or absolute fact, but it is logical. dumThat may however be just my opinion on what is logical but you guys can decided for yourselves, just something to think about perhaps. dumWe all have heard the "if Somethings too good to be true... well each time I drive my car that theory shoots to **** but in alot of cases this is true. dumThat's why I believe it's logical to be skeptical about something like this and may take alot to prove it's actually true. dumSo when people get agitated or such about others demanding more and more proof until their happy, well the same would be for any "too good to be true" or hard to believe deal. dumThere does seem to be some "jabs" at gran, or people just wanting more an more proof and being demanding but it should be expected. dumIf his wires prove or his answers to ALL (reasonable) questions we have they can shoot these down in a heartbeat and eventually it will be an accepted truth. dumNo one has to worry and the honest hard working, honest company gets the rewards of their labor and we get a great product. dum. This is why I believe personally it's ok to "put a company to the test" and maybe be a little demanding or pushy and expect a lot of proof. dumThis ain't no going to the moon sort of situation, it should be easily demonstrated or replicated time and time again for each scenario or individual. dum

People and businesses have to earn their reputations somehow and while it may be a lot of work or seem unfair, if it's worth it, it will usually pay off. dumOne thing I don't really understand gran is why you don't see or expect all of this or do you? dumI don't think it's too unreasonable for all these "non believers" you are going have to persuade, do you?
Your computer have a virus or something?

On a more serious note, I think joecar was on to something about the inductance and spark timing. I'm in for the scientific aspect.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

most of the sites that cite spark plug gains and results and such only refer to 2 sources. The magnecore article that's like 16 years old and a magazine test that is similar.

There are too many variables to say that a single component like a wire is going to do anything to everyone's engine. But you can say that given that a spark plug will spark at a given voltage for it's AF mixture, this is despite whatever the coil can reach theoretically or what the spark plug wire resistance is. Given that the spark plug sparks at a given voltage, the coil has to reach that voltage + the voltage lost in the wire. Reducing the voltage lost in the wire increases the current available to create the fire kernel in your combustion chamber. Low current makes a tiny kernel and this results in poor combustion as it effectively retards your timing. High current is the opposite. So low Ohm wires dont give you higher voltage sparks, they give you higher current to the plugs so that you heat the mixture much faster and create a bigger fire kernel that initiates combustion.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Default For those newcomers that don't want to start reading from the begining

This is a thread that was started in July of 2005 and died out in Aug. of the same year. On page 3 Granatelli responded on Feb. of 2011.
It starts to go bad for Granatelli from there.but his responses IMHO seem credible.
Then there's, IMHO a nasty, foul mouthed piece of work who on page 12 really bad mouths Granatelli and supplys links to people bad mouthing Granatelli. These links are of a Viper group that are really foul mouthed., of a guy that buys from a vendor and has problems and wants the Granatelli company to give him his money back. The last last link is a vid of a guy that claims problems with Granatelli products in his Toyota Supra. Granatelli claims this guy is a fraud and that Granatelli doesn't make Toyota coils. This person then starts making his own accusations that have no bases.
Next another guy pops up on page 14 post 262 and shows a bogus link to Granatelli that claims a 15 hp increase. And then starts to bad mouth Granatelli.
The real ad reads:
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...it-147-24.html
  • Direct OEM replacement, exceeds OEM specifications, OBD-II computer safe
  • Increase power to the spark plug up to 400% over stock
  • Customers have reported up to 15HP (normally aspirated) & 35HP (s/c, turbo, & nitrous). Average gains on an otherwise stock motor are 5hp N/A and 12 to 15 with factory forced induction
  • 0 Ohm resistance, no RFI / EMI interference thanks to patented protector ring
  • Patented* design works with all fuel injection systems, street cars and race cars
  • Solid stainless connector cable with stainless snap lock spark plug connectors
  • High temperature silicone boots, 8MM jacket with fiberglass-reinforced braid resists temperatures up to 500 degrees f (1200 degree f. boots optional).
  • Ideal for use with aftermarket headers and/or turbocharger systems
  • Includes all necessary hardware
  • Over 600 fitments!
* Granatelli O ohm wires are patent protected by United States Patent number 7,185,622. This patent covers our unique method of producing ignition wires of extremely low resistance while maintaining very high noise suppression. The benefit of this invention is that full electrical energy from the ignition source is transmitted to the spark plug. The end result of the application of this method is increased horsepower, torque and fuel economy.

There's an older 2008 ad http://old.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=147

On page 16 Granatelli does some vids of his wires and some dyno runs and promises to do more with an NA engine, yet he's still beaten up by someone that thinks he knows what's best for us possible morons. (must be a friend of Michelle's)

Then someone submits this link

CARBON (SUPPRESSION) CONDUCTORS
Carbon conductors are used in original equipment ignition wires by most vehicle manufacturers, and in the majority of stock replacement wires. This style of ignition wire is cheap to manufacture and generally provides good suppression for both RFI (radio frequency interference) and EMI (electromagnetic interference). Conductor usually consists of a substrate of fiberglass and/or Kevlar over which high-resistance conductive latex or silicone is coated, and functions by reducing spark current (by resistance) to provide suppression — a job it does well while the conductor lasts. Vehicle manufacturers treat ignition wires as service items to be replaced regularly, and limited life is never an issue. This type of conductor quickly fails (burns out) if a high-powered aftermarket ignition system is used.

SOLID CORE CONDUCTOR WIRES
Solid metal (copper, tin-plated copper and/or stainless steel) conductor wires are still used in racing on carbureted engines, but can cause all sorts of running problems if used on vehicles with electronic ignition, fuel injection and engine management systems, particularly if vehicle is driven on the street — and damage to some original equipment and modern aftermarket electronic ignition and engine management systems can occur. Solid metal conductor wires cannot be suppressed to overcome EMI or RFI without the addition of current-reducing resistors at both ends of wires.

Then Granatelli replys

This statement by them is wrong - GMS has no current reducing resistors at either end of the wires

From your link - horsepower gained by the use of Race Wires results entirely from the ability of the wires to maintain full conductance and suppress EMI that previously robbed the engine of horsepower.

That is what we are doing - Thanks for helping my cause

Joe Granatelli ! My hat's off to you. You have much more patience than I could have had with certain individuals. I don't understand all this bashing especially if you're willing to give a full refund if returned before 90 days. Yes for the most part there are those that have valid questions and opinions. And then there are the __
No i don't have any of your products and we're not related. But my last name also ends in a vowel.

To keep this on topic I should ask, would everyone see some gain, even as little as 1 hp from your wires ?

I have a 2000 Z with 28000 miles and my son has a 2001 WS6 with 18000 miles and weather or not there are hp gains to be had we are both in need of wires to replace our aged oem wires. So you'll be getting an order for 2 sets of wires based on quality and a company that stands behind it's product.

Last edited by jg rider; 03-30-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added links
Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Your anger is what drives our growth. – You have the makings of a few great counter posts. If you just stuck to the facts, as you see them, you would be a worthy adversary but you continue to bash and harass and that takes away all your credibility. Following your line of thinking there is no company in the aftermarket that could possibly help our cars be better because the factory would have already figured it out and offered it.

Delphi does not make Ignition cable but yes Packard does. Packard make the wire for many after market companies as well. But not us. Let me make this point clear to everyone there is no magic in our spark plug wires (ignition cables) it is solid core stainless wires ignition cable that can be purchased at most hi perf speed shops. What makes our product unique it that we have a patented way of using Solid Core Cable with no RFI or EMI emetines.

EVERYONE agrees to lower the ohm drop the better the part – your point should be simply so what you don’t need it. If you just stick to that you could win votes. Thanks for loosing focus and bashing Granatelli. As for NASCAR and NHRA at a pro level, I am willing to bet that there are more team running Granatelli cable than Delphi/Packard as you put it.

I am not a self proclaimed expert by any stretch of the imagination either.

You should write a book on How to Make Friends and Influence People
Wow another quoted post and you skip the point and avoid answering the question. I'm not here to make friends, or BS around a matter like you. All you have touted is your wires have less resistance, but the fact of the matter is that regardless of whether or not they do in fact have less resistance, how is providing more wasted energy to the plug going to make more power when in fact the OEM and other aftermarket plugs already provide more voltage than needed to bridge the plug gap and ignite the combustion process? It then becomes wasted spark energy and in no way can increase power, period. It doesn't scientifically nor factually add up... what you're saying is 2+2=5. You haven't answered this question once out of the multiple times I've asked it. It's because it physically can't. You're a schmuck leading other schmucks, and all you ever provide is your dyno or from a mag. Not surprisingly, out of the infinite google hits, not one person has posted up nor see results like the ones attained by yourself or the magazine. I can find a thread like this on every major car enthusiast website like this. You make promises, someone offers to find results and then they don't pan out or the person never posts them. I tell you what JR, go post up this amazing technological breakthrough on YB in the LS1 & mod motor section. If you're not a vendor, have a crony ask the question in the section and see how it goes when answered by every major racer in the nation. People might not take my answer on this but most everyone else knows the truth about your previous endeavors and unfounded claims.

According to your comments and thinking, maybe I should post up that I have a set of self wound wires that netted me an extra 23 hp. I even have dyno videos to prove it, never minding the fact that I might have changed the correction factor to slightly bump power enough to give evidence to my claims...all the while completely refuting all known scientifically proven laws known to man. You can polish a turd, but in the end it's still a turd.

Last edited by BattleSausage; 03-30-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Your computer have a virus or something?

On a more serious note, I think joecar was on to something about the inductance and spark timing. I'm in for the scientific aspect.
Haha no it was my phone, it must though or something. Think I got it fixed
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly guys everyone here can say they dont work and bash them as much as possible, but the fact is the man said bring your car down, dyno time for free, your stock wires v's our wires you make sure we dont do anything to compromise the results, so stop talking **** drive yoru car over and dyno and video it. It's as simple as that. If you truely think yep im right do it drive over or if you are too far find someone who is closer get them to drive over.
check the stock ohms v's granatellis and do it. until then there is no point trying to pick something apart you simply have no proof that it does or doesn't work. GET PROOF THEN COMPLAIN
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by O.N.
Honestly guys everyone here can say they dont work and bash them as much as possible, but the fact is the man said bring your car down, dyno time for free, your stock wires v's our wires you make sure we dont do anything to compromise the results, so stop talking **** drive yoru car over and dyno and video it. It's as simple as that. If you truely think yep im right do it drive over or if you are too far find someone who is closer get them to drive over.
check the stock ohms v's granatellis and do it. until then there is no point trying to pick something apart you simply have no proof that it does or doesn't work. GET PROOF THEN COMPLAIN
I have you moron. I've dealt with both his coils and wires. His coils I won't comment on anymore, it doesn't have to do with this discussion. His wires didn't gain jack. There was less than a 1.7% deviation between 7 runs on a TBSS that we dyno'd back in late 08'. Straight plug wire change, less than 40 minutes between pulls with initial pulls on both sets having the vehicle cooled, 4 pulls on stock & 3 with their wires. The fact of the matter is either he's figured out a way to cheat physics or the numbers he's boasted are bloated and false. In which case I wonder why all the car enthusiasts, manufacturers, and everyone else on this planet are either running his wires or have duplicated his design like he does to everyone else's product and are running them. It amazes me how much logic has been lost on this topic. No more comments from me, I'll let JR make his witty come back as he takes money from those of you who would rather take someone's word on it than do a bit of research and save yourself so hard earned money.

Last edited by BattleSausage; 03-30-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey newbie! I don’t believe Granatelli set out to make ignition wires to “make power” but to simply make better wires. Somehow, they appear to in fact make some power as shown in several videos. Their wires have something others don’t-the ferrite ring and it’s covered by a patent. Even the magazine that set out to dis-prove them showed a power increase.

Yes, several in this thread said they’d be willing to do a dyno test. Just because they haven’t yet done it, it doesn’t mean they won’t. I want to do a dyno test but when I will I don’t know. You can bet your bottom dollar I’ll post the results. I’m even gonna get a new LS7 wire set to do the comparison with.

By your description, once even a tiny a spark is made, no stronger spark will help power. If this was the case, we’d still have points and condenser systems and be able to read a dwell meter (as some of us still can).

It’s no secret that a better hotter spark will help light the cylinder better resulting in more complete combustion which of course will result in more power.

If the GMS wires do in fact add some power and you are shown to be wrong, will you come back on here with apologies? OR if others show there’s an increase in power, you’ll come up with a dozen reasons why they are wrong and/or faked the numbers?

Are you planning on purchasing these wires? If not, perhaps it’s best if you step away from this thread as so far, you’ve had nothing to add to it but negativity and fuel to the argument despite what GMS has shown and the level of maturity and patience he has.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
I have you moron. I've dealt with both his coils and wires. His coils I won't comment on anymore, it doesn't have to do with this discussion. His wires didn't gain jack. There was less than a 1.7% deviation between 7 runs on a TBSS that we dyno'd back in late 08'. Straight plug wire change, less than 40 minutes between pulls with initial pulls on both sets having the vehicle cooled, 4 pulls on stock & 3 with their wires. The fact of the matter is either he's figured out a way to cheat physics or the numbers he's boasted are bloated and false. In which case I wonder why all the car enthusiasts, manufacturers, and everyone else on this planet are either running his wires or have duplicated his design like he does to everyone else's product and are running them. It amazes me how much logic has been lost on this topic. No more comments from me, I'll let JR make his witty come back as he takes money from those of you who would rather take someone's word on it than do a bit of research and save yourself so hard earned money.
Why don't you back off and stop calling people names. They can make up their own minds on what they want to do. To me you come off as a classless unintelligent oaf. If you have anything new to offer why don't try doing it in a civil manner.If it's gonna be the same old Granatelli bashing, why don't you leave

I'm sure that O.N. can speak for himself, but I needed to step in and say something because of your ill manners from when you first stated posting on this thread

Last edited by jg rider; 03-31-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 911 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

Are you planning on purchasing these wires? If not, perhaps it’s best if you step away from this thread as so far, you’ve had nothing to add to it but negativity and fuel to the argument despite what GMS has shown and the level of maturity and patience he has.

Very well said. I started reading this thread to see/learn if there was any truth to their claims. I too am skeptical, very skeptical. No nut swinging here.

Instead of coming in here and actually learning something, I am faced with people that act like they are in high school; name calling, threatening, yelling at people.

Even if Granatelli is full of it(i'm not saying he is)he still looks more intelligent than half the god damn people in this thread.

If you don't like his product don't buy it. Thank you x ray, squirts the fifth or whatever that guys name was, or any other douches I have forgotten, from saving the rest of us lemmings from buying a product that for some reason has people so fired up.

Yes I did some name calling and no I'm not in high school.

I'm out.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Teching In

the bold doesn't make sense to me... the wires "don't gain jack", but there was a 1.7% deviation?

STOCK an 08 TBSS has:

Power comes from the LS2 6.0L V-8, which produces 390 horsepower (290 kW) and 395 lb.-ft. of torque (535 Nm) – enabling the powerful SUV to reach 60 mph in 5.7 seconds.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrol...s-ar41289.html

going by your math... that means after adding the wires, the HP would've been...

390*1.017 = 396.63hp
395*1.017 = 401.715tq

which is a gain of 6-7hp/tq on a vehicle with JUST a wire change.

from granatelli's website:

Direct OEM replacement, exceeds OEM specifications, OBD-II computer safe
Increase power to the spark plug up to 400% over stock
Customers have reported up to 15HP (normally aspirated) & 35HP (s/c, turbo, & nitrous). Average gains on an otherwise stock motor are 5hp N/A and 12 to 15 with factory forced induction
0 Ohm resistance, no RFI / EMI interference thanks to patented protector ring
Patented* design works with all fuel injection systems, street cars and race cars
Solid stainless connector cable with stainless snap lock spark plug connectors
High temperature silicone boots, 8MM jacket with fiberglass-reinforced braid resists temperatures up to 500 degrees f (1200 degree f. boots optional).
Ideal for use with aftermarket headers and/or turbocharger systems
Includes all necessary hardware
Over 600 fitments!
* Granatelli O ohm wires are patent protected by United States Patent number 7,185,622. This patent covers our unique method of producing ignition wires of extremely low resistance while maintaining very high noise suppression. The benefit of this invention is that full electrical energy from the ignition source is transmitted to the spark plug. The end result of the application of this method is increased horsepower, torque and fuel economy.
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...it-147-24.html

your results fall within what granatelli says. which is it? they don't gain or there's a 1.7% deviation, which proves granatelli correct? i'm using your own words.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

He said he's done posting. Don't ask him anything he might come back. LOL
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

1.7% deviation being over 7 runs, and that 1.7% being the greatest difference of any point in the rpm range...not that the readings with the GMS wires were 1.7% higher than the oem baseline. And that biggest variance was in the 1st & 3rd runs on the stock wires. Overall average numbers for all runs were within 1.5%...hell, that's common with any dyno run. I saw upwards of 2.5% between the 4 runs on my stock mustang. You can't compare just 1 run to the other, you need an average to see actual gains and losses. Methinks that is how said magical number came to be in existence...cue lightbulb. That way, technically he's not lying...just misleading the masses.

Last edited by BattleSausage; 03-31-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ahh well hell that didn't last.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by liljayv10
ahh well hell that didn't last.
ROTFLMAO

I'm gonna buy the Granatelli wires because of the pretty blue color. Does anybody have an objection to that ?

Last edited by jg rider; 03-31-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jg rider
Why don't you back off and stop calling people names. We can make up our own minds on what we want to do. To me you come off as a classless unintelligent oaf. If you have anything new to offer why don't try doing it in a civil manner.If is gonna be the same Granatelli bashing, why don't you leave

I'm sure that O.N. can speak for himself, but I needed to step in and say something because of your ill manners from when you first stated posting on this thread
As Paul Bell there asked, because I dynoed with the wires and didn't see Jack. If I still had the dyno logs from the original runs, I would post them. It's been 3 years, 2 computers & 5 cars past. Instead I'm posting my experience. What everyone of you fail to address is the same, if this is the magic ticket, the next hot thing so to speak, why isn't everyone running them. Why haven't the manufacturers switched to them. Forget everything I've said and what others have said in fewer words.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am going to have my H/C/I/E car dyno tuned in the next month or so. I am going to get a set of these wires and test them out. If they show some gains I am going to turn around and by a set for the wife's truck. Regardless I will post up the results.

Forget everything I've said and what others have said in fewer words.
I'm trying to forget but you talk to damn much.

Fine you don't like the wires, we get that.

You think Granatelli is a joke, we get that too.

Thanks for posting your results/thoughts.

You have saved us all.

Myself and many other people in this thread are tired of you and your posts. That's the nicest way I can put it.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

well i looked on the granatelli website and didnt see any wires for $105 bucks. i seen some for 145 and a set for over 200 bucks. the ones that looked apealing to me were the 200+ ones. i just dont know about spending that much on a set of wires
Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

402GOAT,

I just wanted to say I saw your time in your sig. That goat is flat hauling ***.

I know it's mentioned earlier in the thread about the price drop. I will see if I can find it. Let me weed through 24 pages of bullshit.

I gave up after page five. I think it's near the, "say it to my face" post.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
well i looked on the granatelli website and didnt see any wires for $105 bucks. i seen some for 145 and a set for over 200 bucks. the ones that looked apealing to me were the 200+ ones. i just dont know about spending that much on a set of wires
Granatelli made the $105.00 offer to all on this thread. You need to call him

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??