Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by briancb1
If the MSD's are brand new, I believe that graph. But I've measured the voltage of some and even after just a year or little longer the resistance was about 2-3x the initial rating. I was VERY suprised. Curious if the GMS wires would do the same.....
As I stated in the past - how wires don't ware out. That is why we private brand the wires for so many NHRA and NASCAR teams. After Daytona our wires ohm'd out identical to before .011 ohms at 18 inches
Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrs1313
exactly what mine read 25 ohm, msd wires...mine have 20k on them too

and the results are exactly what i thought too...don't believe the hype and be a sucker unless you want the warranty or high temp wires...don't buy them for hp

independant testing for the win...
1 test vs many though. As always if someone is not happy we are here.

Last edited by Granatelli; 04-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

How is this thread still going?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
How is this thread still going?
cause there is still plenty to talk about and people are waiting on mine and other people's results.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

As business is slow and other bills take precedence, I don't know when I'd be able to do a dyno test of my own.

What I'm taking away from all this is the GMS wires will show some power improvement over stock or high resistance wires. In the case of my high mileage bolt on only stocker, perhaps just 4-6 horsepower. If I had other aftermarket lower than stock resistance wires, there would be no gain swapping to the GMS wires.

I'm gonna do the install this weekend-along with those WeaponX spark plugs.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
What I'm taking away from all this is the GMS wires will show some power improvement over stock or high resistance wires.
you are pretty well spot on right there.
going from 800ohms to 0ohms you will have gains
going from 400ohms to 0ohms you will have gains

going from 30ohms to 0ohms you will have minimal gains probably unable to see gains on a chassis dyno, better on an engine dyno, gains would be idle control, AFR's and possibly 0.5-1HP increase.

Also dont forget these wires have a patent on EMI/RFI interferance which many many other wires do not have not sure hwo that helps as i haven't read enough about it, but it sounds good to me...lol
Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

So people are saying you will get a gain if you are on stockers but it will not be noticeable in regards to ET and RWHP?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
So people are saying you will get a gain if you are on stockers but it will not be noticeable in regards to ET and RWHP?
if you are going from stockers to granatellis you should see more HP faster ET and yeah RWHP afr's etc etc
Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might be able to turn a faster ET, but the improvement would be so miniscule that it would get swallowed up by other variables like a few ft in DA or track prep. They don't seem to provide a substantive improvement anywhere performance wise. Talking about a mild N/A F-body.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Just got back from the dyno.

No gains.

428/418 with the MSD wires
427/418 with the Granatelli's.

Same dyno, same day, same engine temp.
Changed the wires on the dyno.
MSD wires ohmed at 28.5, Granatelli's 0ohms.
What were your mods again? Sorry to say those are about the same results we averaged over a number of pulls...no more no less.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Well, there's one.

Who else? Yay or nay?

I'm not out to "prove" anything just hoping someone does, this isn't my fight as I'm not doing the testing.

I just couldn't help see the irony of someone calling people who have some first hand experience with myths surrounding ignition related HP gains ignorant because he/she would rather believe some marketing gimicks.
Agreed. As stated before, the wires may be of the best quality, but the power gains that "were" claimed (I'll get back to that in a minute) just haven't been seen in the real world....yet. If they perform well, have a warranty, and look nice...more power to you but in the ever searching quest for more power, wires are one of the last places to look for 99.9% of all consumers. I'm sorry to see the results thus far haven't panned out, but look at the length of wire you're running to begin with. Now back to the "were" portion I mentioned. I see at least that JR had enough dignity to do away with the his originally stated add on his website of "Adds up to 15HP (normally aspirated) & 35HP (s/c, turbo, & nitrous)". Now it reads, "Customers have reported up to 15HP (normally aspirated) & 35HP (s/c, turbo, & nitrous). Average gains on an otherwise stock motor are 5hp N/A and 12 to 15 with factory forced induction". It's a step in the right direction at least to restoring some credibility with his advertisements, though those customers he mentions have yet to step forward on one of the internet's foremost LS based forums and claim them. Makes you wonder sometimes huh?

What I'm taking away from all this is the GMS wires will show some power improvement over stock or high resistance wires. In the case of my high mileage bolt on only stocker, perhaps just 4-6 horsepower. If I had other aftermarket lower than stock resistance wires, there would be no gain swapping to the GMS wires.
Granatelli himself made it a point to show how is wires are superior because they are "solid core wires" in this thread, and that because of this they would outperform competitors spiral wound offerings. That's why they cost so much, because he can't make his wire cheap enough to compete on that level, hence the below quote. I'm still trying to figure out what exact level he was referencing his wires to be on though.

Originally Posted by Granatelli
You want the best - you have to pay for it. We can't make the wires for $65.00 in 0 ohm. If you want wires like MSD level we offer those as well. We sell that stuff to CSK and Pep boys in their private brand line
What I'm wondering now is, if the hi dollar wires make the same power as the MSD level wires that cost 1/2 to 1/3 the price, what will the "CSK and Pep boys" private brand wires net you performance wise? Anyone up for this test? Guesses?

Originally Posted by Granatelli
1 test vs many though. As always if some is not happy we are here.
Those independent results that you are rolling your eyes at are from someone who bashed me for posting my opinion on the wires that netted damn near the same results several years ago. Times have changed but you're still the same. I may come off as a brash, name calling, big mouthed SOB and so be it. I myself as others got the same ill regarded type posts from you over the past several years when we posted up our results not panning out to the advertised claims. As always you simply roll your eyes and reference either your own results, or magazine articles that you are a PAYING advertiser in. If you have had so many positive dyno improvements from your wires, why haven't those people stepped up to post their results in this thread on this forum, one of the best LS based forums on the net? It's funny, you already changed your advertisement wording for the wires yet you still fall back on the same claims. IF the results you originally stated were true, why did you change your wordage? "1 test vs many" my ***. More like all the tests but my own do not reflect said experiences. That's how I feel every time I see someone buy a product, regardless of who it's from, expecting to see the claimed gains or close to them, only to see no/negative gains.

Last edited by BattleSausage; 04-27-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan
Really? Give me a time & I will be there Tomorrow? Thursday? Want me to call you?
Ya - That is what I meant when I said give me a call - you need to call
Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

As business is slow and other bills take precedence, I don't know when I'd be able to do a dyno test of my own.

I'm gonna do the install this weekend-along with those WeaponX spark plugs.
Let me know please. I have heard good and bad on Weapon X plugs - the none resistor plugs normally rely on the resister wires to make up for their EMI issues. By combining the GMS and Weapon X it could be a good thong or an issue - I am not sure - just say'n
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
Agreed. As stated before, the wires may be of the best quality, but the power gains that "were" claimed (I'll get back to that in a minute) just haven't been seen in the real world....yet. If they perform well, have a warranty, and look nice...more power to you but in the ever searching quest for more power, wires are one of the last places to look for 99.9% of all consumers. I'm sorry to see the results thus far haven't panned out, but look at the length of wire you're running to begin with. Now back to the "were" portion I mentioned. I see at least that JR had enough dignity to do away with the his originally stated add on his website of "Adds up to 15HP (normally aspirated) & 35HP (s/c, turbo, & nitrous)". Now it reads, "Customers have reported up to 15HP (normally aspirated) & 35HP (s/c, turbo, & nitrous). Average gains on an otherwise stock motor are 5hp N/A and 12 to 15 with factory forced induction". It's a step in the right direction at least to restoring some credibility with his advertisements, though those customers he mentions have yet to step forward on one of the internet's foremost LS based forums and claim them. Makes you wonder sometimes huh.
Again there is nothing I can say at this point so I realize it is futile – with that as my opener, I hope everyone understands we have been selling these wires since 2002. This is not new technology. So saying the customers from our website have not stepped up or appeared is a bit narrow minded. Consider this, we sell on average 250 sets a month of just part number 28-1545 and another 200 of part number 28-1811 – these 2 applications cover most LS series engines – this does not count the HT versions with fire sleeves and other products we offer – of those 450 units (per month) sold how many of them go to the message boards at all? 2% - 9 people? – of the 9 how many frequent this site? – So it should not seem odd or make anyone wonder why they are not all flocking to the web. – right?

What were your mods again? Sorry to say those are about the same results we averaged over a number of pulls...no more no less. .
I never saw your results – did you also test our wires – if so, when? Naturally We want happy customers so when we have repeated results and then 1 person posts numbers that are the same we listen but don’t get alarmed – if more 4 or 5 report results then we start to wonder.

These wires have repeated time in and time again. What we have so far is one person saying the wires worked but did not give a gain over a 30 ohm MSD.

Agreed. As stated before, the wires may be of the best quality, but the power gains that "were" claimed (I'll get back to that in a minute) just haven't been seen in the real world....yet. .
But whose world…? They have been – The overwhelming info in on the wires is success. If you are a nay sayer out of the box and only hyper focus on the “I told you so” mentality then naturally if you keep digging you will find “your” truth. As an example - most people that hate Camaros don’t frequent Camaro sites – so if you are looking to purchase a Camaro and you go to the HondaCRX.com site you might hear how they suck but if you go to mybitchencamaro.com you will get the opposite story – get it?

If they perform well, have a warranty, and look nice...more power to you.
Granatelli himself made it a point to show how is wires are superior because they are "solid core wires" in this thread, and that because of this they would outperform competitors spiral wound offerings. That's why they cost so much, because he can't make his wire cheap enough to compete on that level, hence the below quote. I'm still trying to figure out what exact level he was referencing his wires to be on though. .
Forgive me…I don’t see the question in there

I may come off as a brash, name calling, big mouthed SOB and so be it. .
That does not make it right

I myself as others got the same ill regarded type posts from you over the past several years when we posted up our results not panning out to the advertised claims. As always you simply roll your eyes and reference either your own results, or magazine articles that you are a PAYING advertiser in. .
That is the point – we are not and never were a paying advertiser – You keep coming back to that – why? We live in a cynical world when things don’t go a persons way they claim - that guy mist have paid for those results and if thing go badly than you can jump on it and hoist up your flag and claim a hollow victory. Respectfully what do you hope to gain. The customers are happy – let them be

It's funny, you already changed your advertisement wording for the wires yet you still fall back on the same claims. IF the results you originally stated were true, why did you change your wordage? "1 test vs. many" my ***. More like all the tests but my own do not reflect said experiences. That's how I feel every time I see someone buy a product, regardless of who it's from, expecting to see the claimed gains or close to them, only to see no/negative gains.
I am sure there are plenty of people that go to sleep at night knowing you are out there to protect them. I addressed all your questions respectfully when the easy thing to do would be to ignore them – that has never been my style as many of you know. I address it all head on – for all that it is worth. I addressed the verbiage as it relates to the wires because a few claimed it was confusing. While I could have taken the position it has been fine for 8 years – I LISTEN to my customers and potential customers and make adjustments – that is good business. We don’t want anyone feeling mislead. The numbers are still the same however. We offer great products and great prices – If you or anyone else is looking for the cheapest parts – we many not be your best source.

Maybe I could ask the moderator to pull your posts as being combative – oh but wait…I am not an advertisers here either. Just another guy trying to add to the melting pot we call LS1TECH

Last edited by Granatelli; 04-27-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think alot of people are missing the point that stock wires were the original comparison in the magazine and in the video. A stock wire that has 400-800ohms of resistence compared to 0 ohms.

Comparing 30ohm wires to 0 ohm wires is like comparing ET's of a 550HP Mustang with a 580HP Camaro **** all difference to notice any difference in ET's.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

battlesausage, which would you agree with (pick just one without any extra wordy stuff):

1: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires DO show improvement compared to stock ignition wires?

2: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires DO NOT show improvement compared to stock ignition wires?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

battlesausage, which would you agree with (pick just one without any extra wordy stuff):

1: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires ARE BETTER in fit, finish, quality and warranty then ignition wires from MSD, Taylor, Accel, etc?

2: Granitellei zero Ohm ignition wires ARE NOT BETTER in fit, finish, quality and warranty then ignition wires from MSD, Taylor, Accel, etc?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Agreed. As stated before, the wires may be of the best quality,

The wires are superior because they are "solid core wires" and because of this they outperform competitors spiral wound offerings.

That's how I feel.
what he said before - cutting out all the other stuff
Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by O.N.
I think alot of people are missing the point that stock wires were the original comparison in the magazine and in the video. A stock wire that has 400-800ohms of resistence compared to 0 ohms.
I still fail to see how 400-800 ohms in ~6" wires would make any more difference than the tens of thousands of volts difference between coil types...a mod which has been shown to be a myth.

That, combined with the lack of impartial evidence to support the claims, is the basis of my skepticism.

Or we can do some comparisons as such and let me ask everyone to chime in:

if
stock (400-800 ohms) to MSD (~30 ohms) wires net no noticeable/measurable gains in HP, MPG, idle, a/f ratio, etc (

if MSD (30 ohms) to Gran. (0 ohms) net no measurable gains

So what argument comes into play that stock to Gran. would suddenly produce any sort of significant gains not found in the previous comparisons? If no one had TOLD you to expect gains, would you?

As stated before, I look forward to more of these independent tests, because out of fairness 1 pull is no more proof at disproving the claims than 1 pull was at proving the claims. I do respect that it was done in an effort to eliminate variables though.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

truck coils, wires, what's next spark plugs...
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im gonna use E3 spark plugs, these wires, k&n air filter, and royal purple for all my lubricants....

should be good for a 60 hp gain.

this thread reminds me of horsepower tv

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??