Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got tired of following this thread, i haven't got a dyno comparison on the granatelli wires yet, My car is still out of commission, waiting on my MWC 9" still.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I'm only showing this thread as having 15 pages. What was the post number?

I'm wondering if GM made the original wire sets from different wire stock. What wires & plugs did you take out? What did you install?
Post 485. Duh ! Are you saying I can have more posts on a page ?

I took out the original wires and plugs AC 41-952 (the car has only 28000 miles on it) and put in the Granatelli blue wires and NGK TR55IX Iridium plugs.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It says im not subscribed but I am therefore I cannot unsubscribe.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jg rider
Post 485. Duh ! Are you saying I can have more posts on a page ?

I took out the original wires and plugs AC 41-952 (the car has only 28000 miles on it) and put in the Granatelli blue wires and NGK TR55IX Iridium plugs.
Your post comes up on my page 13. Computers have different settings....

You're the guy with the four foot breaker bar on the plugs! lolz...

I don't think you have the LS7 plug wires there. LS7 wires are red. That explains the resistance difference. HUH, non-LS7 wires have lower resistance.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Your post comes up on my page 13. Computers have different settings....
I found the settings. I'm now on page 15

You're the guy with the four foot breaker bar on the plugs! lolz.
I swear the factory installed those plugs with a impact gun and red Loctite

I don't think you have the LS7 plug wires there. LS7 wires are red. That explains the resistance difference. HUH, non-LS7 wires have lower resistance.
Sorry to leave the impression that LS7 wires are what I had. What was the supposed benefits of the ls7s if it has higher resistance then I assume your stock 99TA wires had ? Was it because of the 90º angle boot ? Granatelli sells these with 0Ω claims
http://old.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=148

I'm in the process of installing that SLP LS6 manifold with the hole in it that I patched up. I just finished installing an LS6 valley cover. Too bad that I won't be able to reuse the LS1coolant tubes with this valley cover.There just isn't enough room underneath even if I were to grind down the bottom grid. Then it's off to either PSI in Hillsboro OR. or Tommy Wong in Vancouver WA. for a tune. One is about 20 miles away and the other is about 40 miles.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

So ? Are we done ? No more testing results ?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jg rider
So ? Are we done ? No more testing results ?
im dynoing really soon, have some electrical and carbon fiber shaft problems to fix.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd still like to see more testing. My car deff feels smoother at all rpms then before but I think i may have damaged a wire changing Plugs.. Eaither way the pants o meter likes them
Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I wanted to buy the wires & do the testing. I already have Taylor wires installed, so I don't think it will be an "objective" comparison since I am not on stock wires.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok not the best comparison....lol
i couldn't be bothered switching leads while on the dyno as they are all custom length and cable tied back from the headers etc etc etc..

last chassis dyno on this dyno i made 446.2rwkw this time i made 461.3rwkw..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-hsv-gto.html

video in the link above and dyno chart.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Did you change anything besides the wires from the last lime when you made 446? Beautiful car BTW O.N.!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JetMech99
Did you change anything besides the wires from the last lime when you made 446? Beautiful car BTW O.N.!
well......my mechanic forgot to put lash caps on my old engine so it blew up....and then we built the exact same engine, the only difference was i heat proof coated the valley plate and installed a bigger rad and 160f thermostat other than that every thing is the exact same cam heads intake etc etc etc

Here is what i have to report these are only my opinion and feelings.
i have custom length leads ranging from 430mm in length to 800ish mm in length i first ran this new engine in on MSD wires they were good the ohms on them were from 40ohm to 135ohms depending on the lenth i measured.

I then decided to put my firecore50 wires on the ohms on these wires were very similar to MSD, straight away i noticed crisper throttle repsons and idle seemed better.

Then i installed weapon x spark plugs with granatelli wires.....do not do this they arc out on the heads and cause electrical problems. so then i went with weapon x plugs and firecore50 wires this fixed the problem as the wires took up the extra current.

Then i went back to tr-6 plugs and installed the granatelli wires i straight away noticed the car was easier to drive this is before i had it tuned....and im telling you i noticed this big time as the car was a pig to drive untuned (bucking around all the time not behaving like it should) again throttle response felt even better than firecore50 and it idles very well.

i'll let you guys decide if it made more power im thinking it did i know its a different engine but its the same specs and further to this i have to add on the tuning note which may/may nto help the case for these wires.

the tune in my computer was that set up for the old engine, first pull throttle cable was slack and only opened 66% pulled 398rwkw 2nd pull still on the old basic tune that once before pulled 446.2rwkw it again pulled 446rwkw. then we played with the tune for about 30min and got the 461.3rwkw

I dont know if this means anything but we were able to extract all we could from this engine.

the car als drives really nice here is some videos of it driving in traffic behaving really well.

http://www.facebook.com/Oztracktunin...32221&comments

Last edited by O.N.; 05-13-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Well unfortunately, we prob can't count that as proof of gains, although there's a chance. I am pretty interested in the fact that you say the car is smoother with better throttle response. Between that fact, and the lifetime warranty they have, I may be looking into a set regardless if there's a power gain or not. Thanks for posting your experience with them O.N.! Cheers mate, and good luck with that amazing ride!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

O.N, I'm curious, what exactly do you mean by "arc out on the heads and cause electrical problems"?

Do you have your coils re-located? Mine are in the stock location, truck coils, GMS wires and the WeaponX plugs. I experienced none of these problems you've described but the car does run "better".
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

So you're basing numbers off of a dyno run from a previous engine? That means absolutely nothing without getting baselines with the current engine and then changing parts. Ever noticed how some newer cars are factory freaks even though they are exactly the same as the other X amount of cars manufactured with them. The smallest of things can make a difference. I'm assuming, hoping really, you didn't have the carbon driveshaft on with either set of pulls(new or old motor) because the difference in rotating mass would effect results as well. So yet again we have butt dyno results but nothing credible
Old 05-14-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
O.N, I'm curious, what exactly do you mean by "arc out on the heads and cause electrical problems"?

Do you have your coils re-located? Mine are in the stock location, truck coils, GMS wires and the WeaponX plugs. I experienced none of these problems you've described but the car does run "better".
Yep my coils are relocated i had the horn tooting every so often at random times, all the relaying for the aircon clicking away and anymore that 30% throttle the car would die, i called granatelli he said you have to run 1 or the other, the car ran fine with weaponx/firecore50 but it didn't run fine with granatelli/weapon x and now it runs fine with tr6/granatelli.

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
So you're basing numbers off of a dyno run from a previous engine? That means absolutely nothing without getting baselines with the current engine and then changing parts. Ever noticed how some newer cars are factory freaks even though they are exactly the same as the other X amount of cars manufactured with them. The smallest of things can make a difference. I'm assuming, hoping really, you didn't have the carbon driveshaft on with either set of pulls(new or old motor) because the difference in rotating mass would effect results as well. So yet again we have butt dyno results but nothing credible
no im not basing the improvement off it at all i said its not really a good comparison but it is a comparison of some kind. and the throttle/idle/drivabiliy are improved. The new CF driveshaft is not yet fitted either this was done with the stock shaft.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:03 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I still dont get what's being bashed here.

Maybe they don't make ANY gains on the dyno.... (Insert the opening line of Metallica's cover to So What here)

1. They give a lifetime guarantee
2. They Ohm lower than MSD's, which we all use.

Did I miss something? Lifetime Guarantee. Maybe it doesnt add any HP, maybe it adds one. All I care is that they can't burn and ohm next to nothing, and are guaranteed for life.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Teching In

the tellies are decent wires.. my friends dad owns the company. its down here in oxnard., i got him to admit that his wires arnt any better then the msd's
Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, I'm just throwing it out there, but after that, maybe you guys aren't going to be friends anymore, LOL
Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Well, I'm just throwing it out there, but after that, maybe you guys aren't going to be friends anymore, LOL
lol he must be kidding no way he would say something like that...lol

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??