Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust dilema...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust dilema...

I've been debating over the past month or so whether to get Bassani's stainless steel true duals ($950) and Stainless Works stainless steel LT headers ($615) or go with the TSP Rumbler ($200) and Pacesetter LT's with TSP ORY ($500).

$1565 vs. $700.

Is it really worth it (and I'm talking now and in the future) to pay $1565 for an all-stainless steel exhaust system? Or would I be better off going the $700 route? I'm mainly concerned about the future. I know the all-stainless steel would last longer and what not, but how long would the TSP Rumbler and the Pacesetter LT's/ORY last? And by lasting, I'm meaning...how would they look/perform in 10 years? That's my main concern. Also, how much of a gain would I be looking at for each system? The Bassani true duals and Stainless Works headers...I'm guessing a 50 HP gain....and the TSP Rumbler and the Pacesetter LT's with TSP ORY...I'm guessing a 35-40 HP gain.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

I noticed in your future mods you have a TCI converter. Just my .02 but I would consider an aftermarket catback and put the extra money towards a converter. As far as the headers go it all depends, I would assume Ohio winters are no different than here in Chicago and if you'll be driving the car all year round you're probably better off with coated stainless steel.
I've only had my coated Pacesetters on since April but they look brand new still, considering it's only a summer driver they should so maybe others with more miles on thiers will chime in.
Also since you were planning on a TCI you might want to consider a Fuddle converter, there are plenty of posts on the board from guys who seem more than happy with thiers. https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/360785-fuddle-racing-10-off-sale.html I ordered one monday.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

or you could buy my 3" texas speed dual setup alot cheaper too.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I went with the TSP Rumbler and the Pacesetter coated LT's with TSP ORY, how would they look/perform in 10 years? This is my main concern and that's why I've taken to long to make my choice because I wanna make the right one. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can anyone help me? I just want to make the right decision. I don't want to rush in and buy the wrong one, when the other one would have been the better choice long-term. Basically I'm wanna know which exhaust setup will last longer. How would each look/perform in 10 years. How much power would I expect from each? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking towards the future, go with the stainless. Between my headers, true duals, and exhaust tips, I have ~$2500 in my exhaust setup. I did it once, and I believe I did it right. I couldn't be happier.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do it right the first time. Pay for the good stuff and it will last.

I have 2K in my setup already. The headers are a year and a half and the exhaust is a year and still look great. I've seen mild steel headers rust through in a year and eventually the person always ends up going with stainless. I had a Mienekee special on my truck and at the tail end of 5 years it had rusted through. Hangers had broke through the pipes because they were so brittle from the rust. So what did I do. Had the system done in 304SS just like the car.

The Bassani wasn't around when I had mine built and that is a really great price for the entire out the back system and the headers. If you go with the cheap ****, you will be spending money twice. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time (10+ years) like me, get the very best you can afford.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the Rumbler is aluminized steel, and the only other experience I've had with that material, is the Dynomax catback on my IROC, it lasted 10 years with no rust problems at all, that was on a daily driver that ran thru 10 yrs worth of MA winters (with all the salt sand and slush that implies)
Your results may not be the same as mine but I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Rumbler (in fact that's what's on the T/A now)
Besides between now and 10 yrs your taste in exhaust may change, and it's alot easier to toss $200 away as opposed to $1200
That's my .02