Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the Sweet Thunder Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Did the Sweet Thunder Swap

I finally broke down and did it, and I am definitely pleased. My car now sounds like a 5.0 Mustang, and that's not a bad thing.

I LOVE the way these muffs sound. Definitely more aggressive than the Dynomax Bullets. After the swap, I can see why people were calling the bullets "farty". The swap ( in addition to pointing the turndowns towards the bottom of the tires ) cut down on my drone at least 75%. These bad boys sound SOOOOOO GOOD at idle and part throttle, and NOTHING can touch them at WOT.

I thought that my duals sounded good before, but I was WRONG. If you are looking at the TSP duals, get the SWEET THUNDER mufflers, not the bullets. You won't be disappointed. And for all the people who say that the ST's cut down on power, I think that's crap. My butt dyno ( a finely tuned instrument ), says that if there was any power lost, it was less than ten hp, because the car feels EXACTLY the same.

I uploaded a video to LS1tech videos, but I'm waiting on it to be optimized, I'll post a link to it just as soon as it becomes available.

SWEET THUNDERS RAWK!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna hear this setup.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet Thunders are the fart can erasers!!
Welcome,brother....welcome.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on the switch. Gotta love the 5.0 sound down low and the Nascar up top...

kj
Old 09-13-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

how quiet are the sweet thunders?

I know they will be loud, but how loud compared with the bullets?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

They seem a little quieter at low rpms, but I think that at WOT, they're a little bit louder.

FWIW, switching the mufflers and pointing the turndowns at a 45* angle stopped all my interior resonance and vibration.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
I finally broke down and did it, and I am definitely pleased. My car now sounds like a 5.0 Mustang, and that's not a bad thing.

I LOVE the way these muffs sound. Definitely more aggressive than the Dynomax Bullets. After the swap, I can see why people were calling the bullets "farty". The swap ( in addition to pointing the turndowns towards the bottom of the tires ) cut down on my drone at least 75%. These bad boys sound SOOOOOO GOOD at idle and part throttle, and NOTHING can touch them at WOT.

I thought that my duals sounded good before, but I was WRONG. If you are looking at the TSP duals, get the SWEET THUNDER mufflers, not the bullets. You won't be disappointed. And for all the people who say that the ST's cut down on power, I think that's crap. My butt dyno ( a finely tuned instrument ), says that if there was any power lost, it was less than ten hp, because the car feels EXACTLY the same.

I uploaded a video to LS1tech videos, but I'm waiting on it to be optimized, I'll post a link to it just as soon as it becomes available.

SWEET THUNDERS RAWK!!!
I loved to way my Camaro sounded, but the reason you didn't loose power is because you don't have a cam. Put a cam in there and watch it get choked. I peaked at 6100 rpms with a 230/234 cam. Comp cams, my tuner, and everyone I know blamed it on the 1 to 1 1/2" space for air to flow through those mufflers.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mnc2886
I loved to way my Camaro sounded, but the reason you didn't loose power is because you don't have a cam. Put a cam in there and watch it get choked. I peaked at 6100 rpms with a 230/234 cam. Comp cams, my tuner, and everyone I know blamed it on the 1 to 1 1/2" space for air to flow through those mufflers.
Well I wanted the Powersticks for the 3" core, but nobody has them, and the guy who makes them shows no sign of starting making them again any time soon.

I plan on getting the FM13, and if the exhaust becomes an issue, I can always throw on some dual cutouts.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=DOUBT IT]I finally broke down and did it, and I am definitely pleased. My car now sounds like a 5.0 Mustang, and that's not a bad thing. QUOTE]

Aaah, yes, but the sounds of a well tuned 351... I got the pleasure of being behind a Pantera as it accelerated on a freeway ramp. It sounded sweeeeeeet!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mnc2886
Honestly I think your full of crap.
fyi: mine keeps pulling very hard to around 7k without loss. Id check for something else restricting you high rpms.

And theyre quieter at low rpm's because they don't have the "big fart can effect" like the ridiculously oversized bullets.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, i wonder how it sounds in comparison to my flo-pro twisters!?!?! I also agree that there is a lot left to be desired with the bullets, how are they for drone? I know my setup has noticeable drone, but at cruising speeds its very quiet, how is it with yours? I need to post up some vids, so a good comparison can be made! Nice setup! Congrats!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

any sponser carry them? i'm wanting to get one to replace the Dynomax on my Rumbler
Old 09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Here's the video

Click here to see Video

Natronathon - the drone is SEVERLY reduced compared to the Bullets. At cruise, there is no comparision. It's almost as quiet at the Magnaflow catback that I had. I'm sure that a lot of this can be attributed to the turndowns being pointed at 45* though. You should post a vid of yours in this thread for comparo.

Silver02TA you have to go to their website. www.sweet-thunder.com
Old 09-13-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, stailess works makes a 3" OD muffler and they will custom make it with a 3" core. (I know cause I requested it) Also, it's not the honey comb inside that the ST come with. It actually has tiny louvers coming out from the sides (like motocycle pipe baffles) so I believe flow and sound will be great. I am thinking about switching over.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
Honestly I think your full of crap.
fyi: mine keeps pulling very hard to around 7k without loss. Id check for something else restricting you high rpms.

And theyre quieter at low rpm's because they don't have the "big fart can effect" like the ridiculously oversized bullets.
How can you look through them and not see restriction?? Although if someone likes the sound and dont care, there is nothing wrong with that. They sound cool but i would not use them for flow reasons on mine. There is not a higher flowing muff on the market that i know of, than the bullet type of core. They are def not oversized, some need the flow of a 3" or bigger core, some dont care. Whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by BOONE; 09-13-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's Sweet (no pun intended). I'm thinking about putting either the 24in or 30in in my I-pipe after my header install
Old 09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOONE
How can you look through them and not see restriction?? Although if someone likes the sound and dont care, there is nothing wrong with that. They sound cool but i would not use them for flow reasons on mine. There is not a higher flowing muff on the market that i know of, than the bullet type of core. They are def not oversized, some need the flow of a 3" or bigger core, some dont care. Whatever makes you happy.
I do see a 12" long bottle-neck from 3" to 2.5 at the very end of the exhaust. That won't have any effect whatsoever on hp until you hit 500hp
If the restriction was closer to the headers it would have disasterous effects, but the farther back the restriction is from the engine the less effect it will have on flow.
I'm not saying theres no restriction, I'm saying it is negligable unless in high hp applications. Therefore mnc2886 definately has a problem with his car that he should look into a little more, because cam only cars with sweet thunders should keep up to arond 6.5rpm before dropping. So I'd look at TB, dented primaries or collectors, etc if the car is falling on it's face at 6k rpms.

But thats just me, I'm no expert
Old 09-14-2005, 10:14 AM
dug
Banned

Even if they did cost 10hp the sound is worth it.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dug
Even if they did cost 10hp the sound is worth it.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

I don't see how they could make more than a 5rwhp difference from the bullets. My set-up went from LTs, ory with open cutout in the I-pipe to true duals with 18" sweet thunders all the way out the back. I picked up 6rwhp and 2rwtq and the weather was 15 degrees hotter and 10 degrees more humid, when dynoing with the true duals. I didnt think I would gain anything, I thought I might even lose, its hard to flow better than a cutout. I did the change for the sound, I was very pleased to see I gained a little power too.
Either way they sound amazing and flow very close if not as well as other mufflers. Be forwarned though, once you drop in a cam its going to be loud. I have an F14 and I can feel the rumble at idle from in my house. I'm also stalled to 4000 so I have to admit, sometimes I feel bad for the little old lady next to me when I'm just trying to get up to the speed limit. I rarely floor it on the street anymore just because I don't want to blow out the ears on the person next to me. It does come in handy when someone rides your *** though.