Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after a run, coolant pours out from reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question after a run, coolant pours out from reservoir

please enlighten me on this issue,
I have been driving the car some and after a good drive (say 50 miles) after I get to park it, the coolant starts to pour from the overfill reservoir.
I went ahead and took it out to check if it was leaking and cleaned it good, I have been having to top the coolant with water because it pours about 1 gallon every time, there are no holes and the car does not overheat. but I do get the low coolant light, and when I go top it off, sure enough there is low fluid there.

why is it building pressure....I just drained the old fluid when I took the engine out, the engine was drained as well.
-is there a possibility that there is air in the system causing the pressure buildup?
I put some rtv on the tube that comes from the radiator to the reservoir, on the point where the aluminum tube goes into the reservoir because it was pouring from there and now it comes from the top if the neck.
I cannot think through this one, it seems odd to me.
let me know what might couse coolant to build up and overflow in the reservoir. (even when I emptied it out to make sure there was not a lot of fluid in the system.
thanks in advance
David
Old 10-10-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

is it over heating?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no its not overheating too much, I have the stock thermostat and it usually stays at 180-190
Old 10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

its probably a bad radiator cap. you didn't mix up the over flow and coolant lines did you (two hose next to the radiator cap)?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know for sure, the coolant line to the block near the radiator cap is the one on the top right?
I put the one on the lower part to the overflow...is this wrong?
ohh man I hope this is it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
I dont know for sure, the coolant line to the block near the radiator cap is the one on the top right?
I put the one on the lower part to the overflow...is this wrong?
ohh man I hope this is it.
Nope. you have them backwards. the top one goes to the overflow and the bottom one goes to the block.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me. I car was puking up coolant out of the overflow after a dyno run. Turns out the filler neck and cap were cracked. You may look into that if in fact you do have the hoses in the right spots
Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did check them and had to change them, they were wrong, no more pucking fluid,thanks a lot to sux2bu for helping me figure it out, I would have never guess that.
now All i have to fix its the damn oil leak from the rear of the engine, RPM is going to look at it tomorrow and fix it, I have been in contact with the engine builder and told him about my problem......see what happens
thanks again
David