Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals smoge legal??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question true duals smoge legal??

this may be a dumb question but i am soon to get a ls1 and i want to put true duals on it with cats, and have them dumped. in CA is that legal with LT headers. The headers would have to be 50 state legal also. and do they even make 50 state legal headers for CA etleast. thanks guys.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85firebird
this may be a dumb question but i am soon to get a ls1 and i want to put true duals on it with cats, and have them dumped. in CA is that legal with LT headers. The headers would have to be 50 state legal also. and do they even make 50 state legal headers for CA etleast. thanks guys.
if you lie in cali...no no and no..lt headers move the cats...which makes them illegal..and the exhaust probably has to exit from the rear and not be louder than a certain decibles....which the tsp true uals both do.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

There are no "legal" LT headers as far as I know as they require the cats to be moved rearward and that's illegal.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do what the rest of us Californians do and not give a crap about smog.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
What he said
Old 11-26-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 11-26-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im from Michigan so emissions arent really enforced... what happens to you guys if you dont pass? fines or what?
Old 11-26-2005, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Im from Michigan so emissions arent really enforced... what happens to you guys if you dont pass? fines or what?
You can't register your car so it's illegal to drive it on the street
Old 11-26-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive heard that if a cop were to stop you and determine that one or more emissions systems had been removed form the vehicle he could possibly have it impounded on the spot Im not sure about that, but i do belive there are big fines ( ~$2,500 )
Old 11-26-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Worst case senario for me is that I will have to put the stock exhaust back on and make shure my tune is right on. But after I pass I will rip out the stock exhaust again.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6 Kid
Ive heard that if a cop were to stop you and determine that one or more emissions systems had been removed form the vehicle he could possibly have it impounded on the spot Im not sure about that, but i do belive there are big fines ( ~$2,500 )

While not highly likely, that is possible and the worst case senario.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

i would love to just say screw it but then i can't get my car registered because you have to get it smogged to get it registered. not that i care if its regiestered or not but the cops a dicks in the bay area and they will try and tow my **** i bet. don't any of you guys worry about that kind of stuff.

What about Lt's without TD just use y pipe will you have to move the cat back if you do it that way. i love the sound of true duals. you guys think GMMG sounds almost like TD ive listened to all the cars on ls1sounds.com but i learned they sound way different in person so i want some good oppinions.

Last edited by 85firebird; 11-26-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Launching!

85firebird, Why don't you have your muffler shop build you a set of true duals using the stock manifolds and leaving the cats. where they are (in the stock location). Connect the new pipes to the end of the cats. Then run both pipes over the axle (they both have to run side by side down the passangers side of the car) and out the rear in the stock location. That is what I've done and It works well. You will pick up power, get a good tone with straight through, noise cancelling muflers (one located on each side of the rear tub). That makes the car street legal in all 50 states and it looks stock. I am one that thinks that we all should have the cats. on our cars because they help to clean up the exhaust of our cars. I am one that loves to breath as clean an air as possible. Using the cats. helps us all the breath cleaner air.

Last edited by JEB Garner; 11-26-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85firebird
i would love to just say screw it but then i can't get my car registered because you have to get it smogged to get it registered. not that i care if its regiestered or not but the cops a dicks in the bay area and they will try and tow my **** i bet. don't any of you guys worry about that kind of stuff.

What about Lt's without TD just use y pipe will you have to move the cat back if you do it that way. i love the sound of true duals. you guys think GMMG sounds almost like TD ive listened to all the cars on ls1sounds.com but i learned they sound way different in person so i want some good oppinions.
I already anwsered your question in my first post...lt headers aren't smog legal because they push the cats back...anything that pushes the cats back isn't carb legal. I don't think a true dual system is gonna eb either because it is different then stock..and i was under the impression that anythign different then the stock configeration is not smog legal in cali. Just say up some cash and get the sts rear mount kit...it just got a carb sticker recently.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

They don't care what you do, if it's after the cats!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ashade98
They don't care what you do, if it's after the cats!!!
how come a catback has to have a carb sticker then? and noise regs also.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE= Why don't you have your muffler shop build you a set of true duals using the stock manifolds and leaving the cats. where they are (in the stock location). Connect the new pipes to the end of the cats. Then run both pipes over the axle (they both have to run side by side down the passangers side of the car) and out the rear in the stock location. That is what I've done and It works well. You will pick up power, get a good tone with straight through, noise cancelling muflers (one located on each side of the rear tub). That makes the car street legal in all 50 states and it looks stock. [/QUOTE]

I think that this statement answers the legal question. If you will do as I stated, your car will be street legal in all 50 states and will pass the emissions test in all states.

Quick Reply: true duals smoge legal??