Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I do Polyurethane Engine Mounts?
YES
91.84%
NO
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a set of poly's going in this weekend, can't wait to get them in!
Old 03-01-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was qouted at LS1 Speed inc. $300 labor to install the mounts. this isnt too bad considering it took me 4 hours to do ONE side. but i decided to save my money and do it myself.

I just installed mine tonight. I wrote a breif install summery. the link is here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/461606-installed-my-motor-mounts-summary-inside.html
Old 03-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Actually a car will rock more with stock or poly mounts than with solid mounts. A couple guys i put the solids in were hoping for the car to rock hard core. but were dissapointed when it actually rocked the same. the motor was completely still though.
You can feel the car better and feel the rumble of the exhaust but i wouldn't call that shaking or viberating.
How are you getting the feeling if its not vibrating? Its not like a "vibrator: but the "feeling" is transfered more with soild mounts than with poly. You dont want to call it vibration then dont but you do admit you do get "it", what ever you call "it"
Old 03-01-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

ok can someone post EXACTLY what to do to the poly trans mount to reduce vibration (im runnin a large cam) and make it work best in our F-cars? (my poly motor and trans mounts go in tommorrow)
Old 03-01-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
How are you getting the feeling if its not vibrating? Its not like a "vibrator: but the "feeling" is transfered more with soild mounts than with poly. You dont want to call it vibration then dont but you do admit you do get "it", what ever you call "it"
You raise a good point. The frequency is different. The "feel" is the instantaneous feedback of clutch engagement and throttle.

My solid mounts have absolutely no vibration through the stick or steering wheel.

Like posted above, the poly/solid arguement is trivial. It's mostly from people that have not driven both.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
ok can someone post EXACTLY what to do to the poly trans mount to reduce vibration (im runnin a large cam) and make it work best in our F-cars? (my poly motor and trans mounts go in tommorrow)
i run poly motor and trans mounts. i have no vibrations that arn't normal. i dont see the problem why the tranny mounts are caasing vibrations. my cam is decent size also. the car will shake a bit, it's a given. i have no serious problems with abnormal vibration. i installed the poly tranny mount the way the instructions said. not sure what other way you can install it.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Like posted above, the poly/solid arguement is trivial. It's mostly from people that have not driven both.
THANK YOU! I have had both. and thats why i can accurately describe how they feel.
99% of people who have bad things to say about solid motor mounts have never driven them.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

I feel the exaust better as well as the engine. This all changed with the change of the mounts. Dont tell me that you dont get a different feel with solid mounts than you do with rubber because even you knowyou do. You think if there wasnt energy transfer the factory wouldnt be using them? What ever. Some people will dd a trex and say its fine as well but its all subjective. The rubber is used to absorb some of the transfer of energy, take it away and the energy goes somewhere. I feel it in the wheel and stick.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I feel it in the wheel and stick.
I'm not sure if you are addressing me. But just to continue beating this horse, how does the stick vibrate more when solid mounts are used? The trans is rigidly attached to the block regardless of mounts. If the the block cannot move relative to the chassis, how does the stick move relative to the chassis?

The most noticable effect of solid mounts is a solid stick. It simply cannot move anywhere unless the mounts break.

What do you think vibrates easier, a 460 lb engine or 4000 lb car? The mounts change the harmonics and frequency and barely convert any thermal energy before it reaches the driver.

I'm not a vendor and have nothing to gain by posting my opinion of solid mounts. Have you driven a car with solid mounts or are your statements conjecture?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Banned

Yes I have. Are you going to tell me what I sense and what I dont? On this car I went with just one side poly and it made a difference. Argue that if you want but I'm not sure how you can tell what my body senses. I feel the pulse of the motor a lot more. Vibration might be a bad word for it.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

My friend had an 85 monti with a 383 and solid mnts, he removed the motor for a gas friendly 305 and stock mnts. He said there was very little differance.

My solids are in and can not wait to get the motor together and drive it!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

They are worth it no reason not to!

I am putting them in as we speak i only have one question...
I bought my Prothane ones from BMR and the metal that goes through for the retaining bolt has more metal on one side thant eh other. Is there a specific way these should go in? More metal to front or rear etc?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

this might help.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
this might help.

Thanks man i really appreciate it!
Old 03-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned

It's probably assumed that it would take a long while to feel the difference of the two but regardless if you have an opportunity if I were you I would try it.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started driving my car with my poly mounts installed and I can't tell any difference. But it has been 3 months since I drove the car last.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:50 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

I just got mine in and am waiting for install next week. I have heard nothing but good about the poly mounts. I got quoted high end $175.00 and low end $120.00 by two good shops in my area. I am gonna use them to diminish or eliminate the header bang on the floor. Also waiting to verify others claims regarding these mounts. Paid 49.00 for the prothanes and will do the 120.00 install. 169.00 total parts and labor, which I believe is not a bad price.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jitsumania
I just got mine in and am waiting for install next week. I have heard nothing but good about the poly mounts. I got quoted high end $175.00 and low end $120.00 by two good shops in my area. I am gonna use them to diminish or eliminate the header bang on the floor. Also waiting to verify others claims regarding these mounts. Paid 49.00 for the prothanes and will do the 120.00 install. 169.00 total parts and labor, which I believe is not a bad price.
The shop that quoted $120 labor...have they done LS1 mounts before? It took me two Saturdays to get mine done
Old 04-14-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I started my install last night. Took me 2.5 hrs to get the passenger side done, and atleast 45 minutes of that was spent grinding/drilling the rivets out of the shell. Now that I found a quicker way to do them, the driver's side shoulnd't take more than an hr and a half or so. What a difference with just the pass side in, I can't wait to get the dr. side in
Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It took me about 2 hours once the car was in the air to complete the driver's side mount. Granted, the car was on a lift, which made life easier, but still, it's not that bad to do. I disconnected the tranny mount, and then jacked up the driver's side to give me more room to work. Bolted up the mount to the motor, then let it back down to bolt it to the pedestal.

Now I'm thinking I should do the passenger side. Anyone have any write ups on the passenger side? I know you need to remove the starter, but why do people say you need to remove the A/C?

Quick Reply: Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)